• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
205*31*

Cherry Red

205*31*

my gti is a cherry red colour and has had another driver wing put on which is slightly darker than rest of car I couldn't work out if this was the proper cherry red and rest of my car had faded but looking on gti info I gather there was a darker red colour for 205s 92> and pre 92 had the slightly lighter red, anyone confirm this?

thanks.

j_turnell

They used a dark red on the late cti's, my advice would be to take it to a good bodyshop and get them to colour match the wing and spray it so it matches the rest of the car. Red gti's are prone to going orange, so unless you want a full respray this is probably the most cost effective option.

205*31*
They used a dark red on the late cti's, my advice would be to take it to a good bodyshop and get them to colour match the wing and spray it so it matches the rest of the car. Red gti's are prone to going orange, so unless you want a full respray this is probably the most cost effective option.

thanks mate. Might be cheaper to source an actual cherry red wing then get the wing sprayed? dunno

j_turnell

The only problem with that is they are a swine to get off, doable but requires a lot of patience due to all the sealant used. Secondly you'll be lucky to find one in your shade as they all vary depending on how much sun exposure they've had. Also will need to budget for a bumper fixing kit on that side as they are generally all rusty.

You may be lucky, if the wings been sprayed it may have been replaced, therfore not bonded on so well and the bumper bolts ok, but personally if its a good fit, i'd just get it blown over.

cheers, James

MerlinGTI

You will never match an old red paintjob. Red is the worlds worst.

UV rays fade the paint, a garaged cars wing will have faded less than an ungaraged. From factory theres usually 3 or so 'varients' of the same colour. Throw previous old repairs into the mix and you have little hope.

Best bet to give you a fighting chance is to machine polish the surrounding panlels and any purposed new panels first, then see how they look together. This should reduce the amount of weight fading has against your decision.

Street lighting shows up any evils mismatched red panels may be hiding really well.

Dont expect a bodyshop to be able to give you a perfect match on 20+ year old red paint either.

Edited by MerlinGTI