• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tdr_1976

Inlet Manifold And Carburation Problem

tdr_1976

Hi,

Iv'e been helping a mate build a Peugeot 106 stage rally car, but he's had a change of mind and has decided to make it a road rally car.

Everything has been transferred onto a road legal shell with no problems at all.

The problem we have now is the inlet manifold that he had was specially made to run his 1760 VTR engine on R1 bike carbs, but as some of you may know, you cannot run more than two chokes on a road rally car, so split 40 DCOE's arn't an option on the 106 as there isn't enough room between the engine and the bulkhead.

He can't go back to fuel injection, as he's had the head modified heavily and the injector holes have been blocked permanently, changing the head really has to be the last option, as it's cost a Lot of money to get built.

We tried measuring my 205 XS manifold to see if it would fit, but no good.

Does anyone make Downdraught inlet manifolds for the vtr engine? If so, that would be the perfect solution!

Did Peugeot ever make a 1.6 TU engine with a carburettor setup? Or were they all Fuel injected? If they did, then we could manufacture something to work carb wise.

Any help would be much appreciated, as we really need to get the car up and running before the first rally.

Edited by tdr_1976

badj

I am 99% certain that all TU5 1600's were fuel injected.

You might be able to use the manifold and carb off a TU3 though, best to have a search on here.

DrSarty

I said ages ago about the road rally regs not allowing more than 1 choke per 2 cylinders, and got told I was talking b*llocks!

The only solution I can think of is some kind of twin choke carb (which naturally means making a clever inlet manifold), or fitting a large throttle bodied plenum (something like a GTI6 plenum with trumpeted runners) that has the injectors a little way back from the ports...which...means making a clever inlet manifold! :wacko:

With the injectors further out, it's possible/likely the car would be good at top end but a bit lumpy way down low and on tickover, and may even struggle on emissions (?).

Either way, I think you have an adventure coming.

Edited by DrSarty

tdr_1976
I said ages ago about the road rally regs not allowing more than 1 choke per 2 cylinders, and got told I was talking b*llocks!

The only solution I can think of is some kind of twin choke carb (which naturally means making a clever inlet manifold), or fitting a large throttle bodied plenum (something like a GTI6 plenum with trumpeted runners) that has the injectors a little way back from the ports...which...means making a clever inlet manifold! :mellow:

With the injectors further out, it's possible/likely the car would be good at top end but a bit lumpy way down low and on tickover, and may even struggle on emissions (?).

Either way, I think you have an adventure coming.

Thanks for the replies chaps!

The road rally regs are an arse when it comes to carburation, otherwise I'd be running twin 40's on my XS....... :D

It looks like things are going to get tricky from here on in!

Just out of interest, are there 40's manifolds for the vtr heads?

Edited by tdr_1976

burr_2000

i would be inclined to take the cheaper option and start by buying a second hand original xsi/rallye head (without injector holes blocked) and run with rallye throttle body. it saves faffing about sourcing manifolds and finding decenct carbs.

AlexB

I don't know if he will do a downdraught but sandy brown custom

makes inlets

think he's just sandy on here

he's doing my inlet yo put twin 40s on my modified s1 rallye head

or another option would be itbs so the injectors are mounted in the itb/inlet rather than the head

but that'll be expensive :wacko:

tdr_1976

Thanks again for your suggestions Guy's!

We are still trying to think of the best way to work around the problem, we have decided on a DEGAS carb.

Just a case of sorting out a manifold now!

:lol: