• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
martyn180

Piston Liner Advice After Head Removal

martyn180

Hi

After removing my head last night, I noticed that the liners do not line up with each other and concerned theyve displaced?

two seem to be leaning towards the front of the block, and two lean a little towards the back.

I have 100% definately not moved the crank! Two piston are approx 1/4 of stroke from the tops, and the other two 1/4 stroke from the bottom.

Head bolts came out without an issue, and rocking the head broke the seal per haynes manual.

I did struglle to lift the head off, but that was becase of the dip stick bolt

A gentle finger push of the liners dosnt see any movement at all.

Am I worrying for nothing and this is actually normal?

Cheers

gtmotorsport

From my experience I have never got away with lifting the head on a Pug wet liner engine without changing the liner seals. My advice is always change them, it is far easier than lifting the head again to replace the daft little elastic band things.

Rob Thomson

Conversely I've never displaced a liner just by removing the head. But they've always looked perfectly aligned so I've never had reason to doubt.

If you're worried check the liner protrusion with a straight edge and feeler gauges. If they've moved as you suggest the measurements will be inconsistent.

24seven

If in doubt I'd change the seals regardless. I've never had any issues with liners moving with the head off either, but if I thought I had I wouldn't think twice but changing them, and as said you'll hate yourself if you have to take the head off again a week later.

Jrod

I noticed this on mine, all them are are aiming slightly left in the picture.

003tqm.jpg

pug_ham

The angle they are sat at in the block as in Jordan's pic above doesn't mean they've moved imo.

Its just how they settled when the engine was built & tbh I don't think I've seen any in the engines I've taken the head off perfectly straight but conversely, they haven't moved either.

Like Guy says, if you have any doubt then as much of a pain as it is, replace the liner seals before you fit the head back on.

Adds a lot of work but before you take that route, check the liner protrusion as suggested & see how loose they feel.

I've had some liners which didn't want to come out of the block when it was stripped they were so well stuck in the block.

Graham.

martyn180

Dosnt seem to have any protusuion of the liners ie they are flush with the head, so I assume thay wont clamp in, but they are stuck tight.Will have a serious think :-(

floodys

Ive just got a engine with a headgasket gone on it and pulled the head off and where the h/g had gone and leaked water to the bores 2 of the piston's were stuck!! i tried turning the engine over by hand thus its lifted 2 of the liners out!! so couple of questions,

Should i change all 4 "rubber band" seals on liners even though 2 of the liners havent moved, also how hard is it to get the liner to move if well stuck?

When i fit new seals is it just a case of putting the liners back in? i.e do i need to add a bit of greae, put them in a special way etc?

lastly, anyone got a rough idea on a set of rings for a 1.9 8v as i think i should do them!! lol!!

Sign in to follow this