• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
205*31*

Idle Screw

205*31*

ok I been adjusting the idle screw to try cure it stalling nearly all time at junctions until its warmed up well. Anyway I know its the brass screw on throttle body I have been turning it so its coming out and I can hear more air coming through as i turn, is this right way to increase rpm? how far can unscrew it as worried it will cause problems. its a 1.9 gti by the way :)

thanks.

welshpug

Shouldn't cause problems as long as the throttle stop position and the AFM are setup correctly, the haynes workshop manual has a section with a lot of data covering this, you can do most of the checks and adjustments needed with a screwdriver, allen key and a multimeter.

get it checked once you're done at an MOT garage to make sure the emissions are still within the limits and adjust if necessary.

205*31*
Shouldn't cause problems as long as the throttle stop position and the AFM are setup correctly, the haynes workshop manual has a section with a lot of data covering this, you can do most of the checks and adjustments needed with a screwdriver, allen key and a multimeter.

get it checked once you're done at an MOT garage to make sure the emissions are still within the limits and adjust if necessary.

thanks welshpug well the gti i bought was used as a road rally car and its had a 1.9 engine put in it i doubt anything at all has been touched on the engine its all standard so i guess the throttle stop position and afm haven't been touched at all. I saw someone on this forum with a link to download the whole haynes manual for the 205 I downloaded it but have recently installed windows 7 and must have forgot to backup the pdf :( don't know the link or who it is do you welshpug? :(

thanks, lee.

MrG

when I first got mine, I ended up removing it completely and giving it a damn good clean, then put it back in with the same number of turns. Then I started to adjust it and it was fine then.

I removed the lot and fitted carbs not long after though.

richsmells

M@tt: http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showuser=3557

Clean up the idle screw (and throttle body if you're feeling eager), check the TPS clicks just as the throttle opens (off idle). Set the ignition advance (distributor) correctly, and re-adjust the idle speed. A bit of advance helps with the common hunting problem. Check it doesn't det under load though.

Edited by richsmells

welshpug

never assume its not been messed with, they all have and many I am surprised even run at all with how badly adjusted they are, its not surprising that they have a reputation of not making the power they were meant to !

205*31*

morning. Well last night when I was playing with the idle screw nothing sempt to be happening, I took of all the maf up to k&n filter and gave them abit of a clean the maf had tape around lid i took this of and have glued the lid on looks tidier than tape :) but it all back on car this morning was still a major pain to get it to crank over but once it warmed up and settled played about with idle screw again but still didn't seem to be doing anything until suddenly revs shot up to about 2.2k and was holding so screwed again to try to reduce it and was getting lower but it seems to take alittle time to pick up the adjustment, I think I need to strip the whole tb of and give everything a clean, what anyone else think?

cheers, lee.

Edited by 205*31*

richsmells

Sounds like a plan! :)

205*31*
M@tt: http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showuser=3557

Clean up the idle screw (and throttle body if you're feeling eager), check the TPS clicks just as the throttle opens (off idle). Set the ignition advance (distributor) correctly, and re-adjust the idle speed. A bit of advance helps with the common hunting problem. Check it doesn't det under load though.

hi rich where is the TPS? and also how do you set the ignition advance distributor correctly? isn't there any set default parameters so it can't det?

thanks.

richsmells

http://www.buzzboxx.co.uk/Haynes_205.pdf

In the Haynes, page 4C.3. The photo in the top right of the page shows the black TPS attached to the throttle body. For more info do a search as this is a common query.

To set the advance, firstly make a mark across the the top of the distributor and thermostat housing attached to the head. This way you can always put it back to the original setting by lining up the marks again. With the engine off, loosen the two bolts on the distributor and rotate it clockwise a few mm (as if you were looking at the engine side-on from the passenger side of the car.)

You only need to rotate it a small amount, bolt it back up and take it for a spin to check each time. The idle speed will naturally increase, so re-adjust the idle screw to compensate.

To check for pre-ignition, stick it in 5th and floor it up a hill from a low engine speed. You'll hear it.

Edited by richsmells

205*31*

another few questions.

When I remove all tb for cleaning I have read you can clean the afm, is cleaning the afm the bit thats held on with 4 bolts has a like a flap inside?

another question is there anyway I can find out what year the engine is its a 1.6 gti but with a 1.9 engine i have seen the plaque on block has got DB6 on it so defo a 1.9 but year?

thanks.

davey205
http://www.buzzboxx.co.uk/Haynes_205.pdf

In the Haynes, page 4C.3. The photo in the top right of the page shows the black TPS attached to the throttle body. For more info do a search as this is a common query.

To set the advance, firstly make a mark across the the top of the distributor and thermostat housing attached to the head. This way you can always put it back to the original setting by lining up the marks again. With the engine off, loosen the two bolts on the distributor and rotate it clockwise a few mm (as if you were looking at the engine side-on from the passenger side of the car.)

You only need to rotate it a small amount, bolt it back up and take it for a spin to check each time. The idle speed will naturally increase, so re-adjust the idle screw to compensate.

To check for pre-ignition, stick it in 5th and floor it up a hill from a low engine speed. You'll hear it.

Pre ignition? I'm gonna try this but whats pre ignition ?

welshpug

Pre-ignition is exactly what it says on the tin, the mixture igniting too early before the piston has started its downward stroke, causing a tinny rattling sound, and lack of torque !

Tom Fenton

Pre ignition is also known as pinking and occurs when the timing is too far advanced/low octane petrol is used/and the engine is under load.

It is a sharp metallic rattling noise, you'll know it as soon as you hear it. Lift your foot and it will stop.

It is not the same thing as detonation despite some folks will tell you otherwise.

2-Pugs
another few questions.

When I remove all tb for cleaning I have read you can clean the afm, is cleaning the afm the bit thats held on with 4 bolts has a like a flap inside?

another question is there anyway I can find out what year the engine is its a 1.6 gti but with a 1.9 engine i have seen the plaque on block has got DB6 on it so defo a 1.9 but year?

thanks.

Another vote for cleaning out the throttle body. On a previous 1.9 GTI I had some years ago, I spent some time cleaning it all out with carb cleaner and checking setup, breathers etc, and I could not believe the difference it made. It idled like a new car afterwards! And yes, you can clean out the afm. Just be careful not to damage it.

Regarding year of engine, most of the parts will have a 'date clock' cast in them, so you'll get a rough guide from that. You should be able to see the ones on the inlet manifold and the cam cover easily enough.

205*31*

thanks all for the replys :)

JRL

On my brothers classic fiats and lancias he removes the carbs degreases and boils them, I thought This might damage them but he strips them 1st and says they get just as hot in the engine bay. they come up like brand new. He did my 8v tb then polished the internals it was so clean and mirror polished I had no idle problems and because the metal inside wasnt pitted it never seemed to coke up.

Sign in to follow this