• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Team BDR

205 With 309 Driveshaft & Bone Upgrade

Team BDR

a couple of weekends ago, we uprated the wishbones and driveshafts to 309 gti items.

whilst bedding the brakes in, it spat the offside driveshaft out at the intermediate bearing joint. anyone had similar results before?

bought a 309 group A replacement driveshaft, however upon installation it seems too long and we cant seem to get the wishbone bottom balljoint realigned. are the 309 group A shafts longer?

if anyone knows the difference of the group A item, i'd much appreciate the knowledge, or indeed any other suggestions.

cheers

ben

205 (was 1.9) - gti 6 engine & box.

Edited by Team BDR

chrisj21

What gearbox are you using? If using the xsara or 6 gearbox i know you either have to use the 205/309 diff or swap the inner joint for the 306/xsara one. This is due to the xsara/6 diff not allowing a 205/309 shaft to fit all the way in.

May account for the shaft being to long.

Team BDR

thanks for the response, it's the gti 6 box, i know the 309 shafts that we fitted came from a car with an mi16 lump and non 6 speed box probably 1.9 gti box, so the theory stacks up.

would you have thought i could use the existing inner joint from before the 309 swap (presumably 306), and only replace the 309 group a section from the intermediate joint onwards to the hub?

is there any identifiers on the shafts that would give me an indication what they actually are?

thanks

again

welshpug

better to swap the diffs, box doesn't have to come out of the car to do so.

chrisj21

As welshpug says, better to swap the diffs as it saves having to change the joint everytime you change a shaft, very straight forward. But you can use the inner joint if you wish.

You basically just need to remove the diff cover (11 ish) bolts and pop the cover off, the diff pops out, simple :D

Sorry can't help identiying the shafts, maybe measure them and post up here to see if anyone knows.

marksorrento205

Cant fault you there Chris, you must have done your research. 10 out of 10 :D

Edited by marksorrento205

chrisj21

I did, with you :D

And it worked perfectly :D

Your 'how to time a vts engine' lesson was spot on too :D

So 10 out of 10 to you!

marksorrento205
:D

Miles

First of all, If it was a Group A shaft it would be designed more often than not to run with the ZF Diff which as use's the same inner joint as the late GTi6 ones, But any shaft like that unless in stk for years would be well past it and I would guess it's just a std one myself

But getting to your problem it sounds like the O/S driveshaft with the bearing/joint which doesn;t make a differance on the diff as this side is all the same, only the N/S is differnet

welshpug

DOHHH!!!! I totally missed the O/S bit.

in that case you need to clean out the intermediate driveshaft bearing carrier thoroughly with emery paper.

check the driveshaft length too, might have been given a 306 one by mistake!

Edited by welshpug

oli-pug

I had problems with a recon OS shaft a while ago, the intermediate bearing wasn't a tight enough fit on the joint and kept coming loose allowing the shaft to pull out of the differential.

Took it back to GSF in the end to get a replacement and been fine since, both were GKN.

Team BDR

Here's a pic of the group A shaft, its noticably thicker than the standard 309 shaft we were supplied when we bought the 309 arms. Is it possible for the ZF diff? It was bought second hand so history unknown.

driveshaft.jpg

I've been doing some searching,

As for using 1900 shafts with a iron block, that won't really matter.

It may if you are running the iron blocked gearbox as the later ones have different internals in the diff and the shafts won't push in as far. I had to swap to the original diff when I put my long iron block hybrid Mi box on because of this problem

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...brid+driveshaft

Can you fit / will it fit a 306 gti6 outer cv onto a 309 gti shaft with no modifications? i.e are the splines the same etc?

If you can will it alter the length of the shaft?

only if the 309 shaft was an ABS one, in which case the joint is the same one as used on the gti6, there are more splines on the ABS inner shaft, hub flanges and hence the outer spline are the same.

I take it the diff swap is no longer relevant since the problem is with the off-side or are we liable to damage the nearside shaft running as we are?

We cleaned the intermediate bearing and carrier (but no emery). We could measure the length of the retaining bolts protruding to see if the bearing is fully seated in the carrier? We're also planning to pick up a new 309 shaft from ECP tomorrow but there's two options one £40 & one £60 with no clarification. Will we be better better off with a non abs shaft or abs equipped?

Thanks for all the responses,

Rob