• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
monkee87

Me And My Cars.

monkee87

I'm new here, so i'd thought i'd tell you a little about the cars that i've had!

First car I ever owned was an Austin 1300 GT in Aqua. Really rare car now days. I never got to drive it as i wasn't old enough and it was way too rusty to pass an MOT!! Was basically a mini cooper with a boot. Same engine and suspension. Was a great car though, was gutted when i sold it.

I've been into Peugeot's for a long time now. My dad used to run 205's all the time. He bought my mum a 205 CJ in topaz blue, and then 10 years ago, he sold that and bought her a 1989 CTi. (F588 OUW) It was round about this time that i fell in love with the 205. I just love them.

I got given my first 205 for free! It was a 5 door GR in champagne. It needed a new clutch when i got it, so £100 later i was cruising around in it! Brilliant car. (C909 RCD) Had the sloped back engine.

I then went on a 3 door miami blue 1.1. Got that for £150 from my local scrap yard and put it through an MOT. Failed on having a left hand drive headlight... Haha, what the hell? (K*** ***) Drove that for about a month until i sold both of the 205's i had and bought my first GTi.

It was a limited edition miami blue 1.6. I remember going on a test run and got the crap scared out of me cause it was so fast.. was a great car and i kinda regret selling it. I had this car for about a year until i sold it to some chap in Poole. (H367 YHT)

I sold it because i bought a mint laser green 1.9. It cost me a fortune to insure it and when i became a student, i ended up having to sell it. I had it for a year and half. (H522 RSC)

I bought a 306 DTurbo S when i sold it and took a black non sunroof GTi in exchange for it. (E740 YTA) The black GTi was proper rusty, but looked the nuts. It was the exact height i'd wanted all my 205's, had been lowered. I didn't have it very long as i didn't want to deal with the rust and i wanted a phase 2 GTi aswell.

That when i got my current car. It's a 1991 Sorrento green 1.9. I picked it up for £400. It had done 82,000 miles but I have no previous history for it. The previous owner had snapped the cambelt, so a new engine was in order. I managed to get one on ebay for £51!!! I fitted it over the summer, took me a couple of weeks as i'd never done an engine swap before. I encountered a few problems while sorting this car..

I had to source a exhaust manifold as i didn't have one, only to then find out that the exhaust was completely wrong when i went to fit it.... So it had a whole new exhaust. I also broke one of the driveshafts when taking the old engine out. It's got ABS so the driveshafts are very very very hard to get a hold of.. So annoying. Ended up rebuilding the one i had as i couldn't buy one new.

When i got the engine all plumbed in it fired up first time. I was quite impressed with my £50 engine!

It took me a while to get it MOT'd because it failed on a few things.. The brake lines under the petrol tank were shot, the ABS light wouldn't go out and the handbrake was rubbish. The ABS light is still a little sketchy now. I replaced all the brake lines on the bottom of the car, plus the ones that go to the calipers. I found out why my handbrake didn't work, some numpty had put the brake pads in the wrong way round, plus they hadn't lined up the groove on the caliper itself.

I finally got it MOT'd last september. I've been driving it as my daily car ever since with no problems apart from the sketchy ABS light. That was until the other day.. Hit 2 pot holes in a row and now one of my driveshafts is up the creek.. I bought a normal 1.9 shaft and i'm going to put the ABS bit on it to make it an ABS shaft. They are identical, so it should work.

I have done a few things to it to make it better. They are, put rear headrests in, i got the alloys refurbished in goodwood style and wrapped them in Toyo tr1s and also swapped the front seats with some better ones.

I have a few things i want to do to it. I have an auto bonnet waiting to be painted and fitted. I also have what i think is a 309 gti beam to fit also, as mine is seized one side.. I want to eventually fit full 309 running gear but keep the ABS. I want to swap all the suspension for Bilstein B6's. Get Goodrich hoses, a K+N air filter and a Stainless steel exhaust. I also want to upgrade the sound system as i love decent quality sound. :D

I love this car, but it has a few things about it that are really annoying. Water seems to get in everywhere, the paint is rubbish as someone repainted it really badly, and the ABS light problem.

Anyway, if anyone knows where my old cars are and what they are doing, it'd be really great to hear about them! Also any info on the ABS would be awesome. I don't know much about it apart from you can't get any parts anymore...

Are there any of you in the Sussex area too?

Thanks guys and gals, Robb.

DrSarty

Interesting read Rob and welcome to the forum.

Whilst it works, I'd focus on stopping that water getting in!

monkee87

It's a mint car too! There is no rust what so ever. I just need the money to buy some new rubbers! Pretty sure the doors leak and the rear windows.. Definitely know the boot leaks, all 205's seem to do that. :blush:

shalmaneser

I'm in Brighton so fairly close!

Re. the ABS problem, I'd be tempted to dump the whole ABS unit personally, more trouble than they're worth!

Sorrento's on Goodwood alloys look the nuts, got any piccies?!

monkee87

Here is a link to some photo's of my car and previous cars. Car is pretty dirty in the pic with the new wheels.. Haha. I'll take some more photo's soon.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8396305@N02/s...57623395443725/

Yeah the ABS is pretty annoying, but i think if i keep it, the car will be worth more in the future. That's if i keep it standard! I was thinking about a GTi6 conversion, and i'd have to remove all the ABS stuff to fit the engine in.

What car do you have? I used to drive to Brighton everyday in my Laser green GTi and i always saw a red GTi.. May of possibly been white? I can't remember now!

shalmaneser

I've only been here a couple of years but mine is graphite with white wheels, quite often to be seen commuting down Lewis Road...

There are a few about in Bton actually, saw a really nice looking miami a week or so ago.

davey205

Welcome Monkee87 good to see a few more Sussex members.

Daviewonder

Hello Robb, welcome along. Nice looking cars, look very tidy! Im from west sussex, not too far away :mellow:

monkee87

It's great to know some people who are in sussex! Are there any Sussex meets? Cause there is no club thing for here is there.. Well, PSSOC doesn't list any.

shalmaneser

we should get one started i reckon, theres a few of us down here and it's good to see what other people have done.

Let's just try and avoid McDonalds carparks.... :mellow:

monkee87

Haha. Definitely! It would be great to set up a Sussex meet.