• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Cactus

Mi16 - Pistons Rings And Liners

Cactus

I am In the process of stripping and rebuilding my ally block mi16 and I am on a tight budget.

I have some spare used liners which are in better condition than the original liners.

My plan is to rebuild using the spare liners and fit new rings to the original pistons.

Is it ok to do this or am I making a schoolboy error?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

welshpug

a good idea if you have a spare set, I would get them honed and check the size of both sets, check the size of your pistons too, they will have a letter stamped on the crown.

do make sure the seats in the block are in good condition and that the liner protrusion is sufficient and even enough within the specified tolerances, and use new seals of course (liner protrusion is checked without seals fitted)

de Noir

watch out for liners, keep old ones too

they're not produced any more

new old stock very expensive!

Cameron

It's pointless fitting new piston rings to old liners unless you get them honed. The rings will never bed in properly and you'll be down on power.

If you have a good set of liners, then fit them and the pistons that go with them. That's probably your best bet if you're on a budget.

Cactus
It's pointless fitting new piston rings to old liners unless you get them honed. The rings will never bed in properly and you'll be down on power.

If you have a good set of liners, then fit them and the pistons that go with them. That's probably your best bet if you're on a budget.

Well I have been doing a bit of reading and it sort of links in with your post Cameron. I read (Haynes) that the pistons and liners should be matched and the pistons are marked with a letter and the liners with notches. Anyway in this case I dont have pistons for the better condition liners. I thought i would get away with changing the rings for new ones on the original pistons but i am having a few doubts now. Am i heading for problems?

I couldnt find the notches on the liners that identify them either.

Cameron

I think that only applies to the 8V engines, they grouped pistons and liners into 3 tolerance bands and then made them into matched sets. I guess they sorted their manufacturing with the Mi16 liners as they are available separately from the pistons. I fitted new liners in mine with old pistons and certainly haven't had any problems.

Jrod
I think that only applies to the 8V engines, they grouped pistons and liners into 3 tolerance bands and then made them into matched sets. I guess they sorted their manufacturing with the Mi16 liners as they are available separately from the pistons. I fitted new liners in mine with old pistons and certainly haven't had any problems.

Mi16 pistons are also marked by size, A, B or C

Cameron

I don't remember seeing any markings on mine.. :rolleyes:

welshpug

mine are marked A and Z, i.e smallest size D6C.

Cameron

Well, whatever sizes they're marked they must all fit one size liner as there's only one size you can get! :rolleyes:

Sign in to follow this