• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jrod

What To Do?!

Which engine?  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Jrod

I've got my shell sat in the garage minus an engine, I currently have 2 engines...

Engine 1: Recently rebuilt but has been very unreliable. It has however had: Reground crank, New main and big end bearings, ARP rod bolts, Skimmed flywheel, Bottom end fully balanced, Block fully machined including liner seats - decked, Head skimmed, 3 angle valve seats cut, guides checked (from memory 3 were replaced), new valve stem seals, GTI6 trap door sump, PeterT extended oil pump pickup and an inlet CatCam.

Engine 2: Claimed to of been replaced about 10k ago, no idea of the history but it does look very clean, no oil anywhere so maybe it has been replaced? Has a genuine Peugeot oil filter and all the gaskets look new.

Engine 1 needs new liners and pistons (I've already bought them) and they need to be machined to suit as the bock has been decked. Engine 2 will need alot of parts swapping over.

Do I fit engine 2 and use it for now or sell it and use the money to hurry up and fix engine 1?

Edited by Jrod

harryskid

Choice seems clear to me!

Harryskid :ph34r:

Jrod
Choice seems clear to me!

Harryskid :ph34r:

Really, why?

harryskid
Really, why?

You have spent most on first engine so it a bit more spent would be worth while.

Cheers Harryskid :ph34r:

Jrod

I've spent hardly anything on it, it was in the car when I got it.

Either way I can sell it if I don't use it.

harryskid

Yer see your point, bit of a juggling act !.

Good luck with your choice Harryskid :ph34r:

mickie

his names jrod, not harryskid

SurGie

WTF, mickie's post keeps going to the top of the new posts list yet his last post was 11.04pm.

Doh, might be to do with the voting :ph34r:

Edited by SurGie

jackherer

The thread gets bumped when people vote in the poll.

Anthony

Use engine 2 (seeing as it actually works!) and swap the sump and pickup across so, hopefully, it stays working.

In the meantime, crack on with the re-rebuild of engine 1, and when that's ready, swap the sump and pump back over and fit that, hopefully living happily ever after.

That way, you get to use the car still whilst you're fixing the original engine :ph34r:

24seven

Unless you've a deadline you want the car completed by, I'd just keep on at engine 1. If it's had all that work done to it and is wired up well then there's no reason why it should be any less reliable than any other.

burn the lot! :ph34r:

Miles

I'd get another block to build the other one into, Will save ££££ compared with Machine work as there's allot to be said for std componets on std engine's

welshpug

fit an 8 valve <_<

Baz

Just build it once, right and how you want it.

Jrod
fit an 8 valve ^_^

I'd do it but I'd sell it straight after out of boredom, even 16v 205's feel slow.

One concern I have is the oil surge issues I've had, Even with the extended pickup/sump. Could there be issues with the actual engine to cause this?

Jrod

Engine 1:

img0513vx.jpg

Engine 2:

img0514l.jpg

Your voting isn't really helping me!

Edited by Jrod

Miles

On the road you shouldn't get much surge really if at all so I would say it was more likely something up with the engine maybe, I will always say the deeper sump just mask's the issue and not cure's it, Was the pickup extened without any leaks etc?

Anthony

Engine 2 really doesn't look like a 10k mile old unit to me given the amount of alloy corrosion and grime on it :)

You sure it's not just a typical 120k+ used Mi that he swapped into the car 10k miles ago?

Jrod
On the road you shouldn't get much surge really if at all so I would say it was more likely something up with the engine maybe, I will always say the deeper sump just mask's the issue and not cure's it, Was the pickup extened without any leaks etc?

It wasn't actually on the road but an autosolo, still wouldnt expect surge as it was in the wet!

Engine 2 really doesn't look like a 10k mile old unit to me given the amount of alloy corrosion and grime on it :)

You sure it's not just a typical 120k+ used Mi that he swapped into the car 10k miles ago?

As I said, I've no idea of the history. The engine is actually really clean, the bit at the bottom is mostly my doing when I took all the hoses off. The corrosion I agree and can't argue with, it has been sat in a field for a while though...

Edited by Jrod

pug_ham

Engine 2; An engine replaced 10k ago or an engine rebuilt 10k ago? There's a big difference in making a decision depending on which it is.

Graham.

Jrod

The advert:

A PHASE 1 405 MI16 WHICH HAS HAD A NEW ENGINE FITTED BY PEUGEOT THEMSELVES BELIEVE IT TO HAVE DONE APPROX 10,000 MILES. COMES WITH TWIN 45 CARBS, INLET MANIFOLD, FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR, DISTRIBUTOR AND ALL BITS TO BE FITTED TO THE MI16 ENGINE, THE ONLY REASON THEY ARE NOT CURRENTLY FITTED TO CAR WAS BECAUSE THE PREVIOUS OWNER DID NOT WANT TO INVALIDATE THE WARRANTY ON THE ENGINE
Edited by Jrod

pug_ham
The advert:
A PHASE 1 405 MI16 WHICH HAS HAD A NEW ENGINE FITTED BY PEUGEOT THEMSELVES BELIEVE IT TO HAVE DONE APPROX 10,000 MILES. COMES WITH TWIN 45 CARBS, INLET MANIFOLD, FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR, DISTRIBUTOR AND ALL BITS TO BE FITTED TO THE MI16 ENGINE, THE ONLY REASON THEY ARE NOT CURRENTLY FITTED TO CAR WAS BECAUSE THE PREVIOUS OWNER DID NOT WANT TO INVALIDATE THE WARRANTY ON THE ENGINE

A new engine fitted by Peugeot which even with approx 10k on has been stood for at least 12 years imo.

A mate got hold of one of the last aloy 1905 Mi16 engines brand new on a pallet direct from Pug for his Mi16 conversion which I think was back in 1996.

I think I'd do whatever is needed to finish the rebuild so you know what you have.

This one could be a sweet engine but I expect it'd at least benefit from a set of valve stem oil seals & all that entails.

Graham.

Henry Yorke

I agree that a 10k Mi16 engine will either be fictional or have been stood around for 12 years! No one puts a brand new engine in a car that is not worth above 6 grand. So when was a 405 Mi16 last worth £6k - remember this is a Phase 1 alloy unit F to J reg. I would say M/N reg at the latest which means approx 1995 - and then sat in a field....

An engine in bits is worth nothing really so flog it as a runner and get your specced one in. However I get the impression you will get bored with it quick and flog it on. In that case, put Engine 2 in and sell the car as a runner. Rebuild Engine 1 at your leisure and sell on / break into parts and sell Head, crank, flywheel pistons individually.

Does that help?!

Jrod
I agree that a 10k Mi16 engine will either be fictional or have been stood around for 12 years! No one puts a brand new engine in a car that is not worth above 6 grand. So when was a 405 Mi16 last worth £6k - remember this is a Phase 1 alloy unit F to J reg. I would say M/N reg at the latest which means approx 1995 - and then sat in a field....

An engine in bits is worth nothing really so flog it as a runner and get your specced one in. However I get the impression you will get bored with it quick and flog it on. In that case, put Engine 2 in and sell the car as a runner. Rebuild Engine 1 at your leisure and sell on / break into parts and sell Head, crank, flywheel pistons individually.

Does that help?!

It makes sense and depends on car choice.

I'm so torn whether to have the 205 and another Capri or sell all my toys and get a Clio V6/Monaro/big expensive car...