• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Will Eastman

Hey Guy Another Xs..thoughts?

Will Eastman

Whats the legality of a straight through exhaugst, and whats the new carb going to do to my insurace (im 20), is cheap and easy to change back to xs carb?

http://www.pistonheads.com/SALES/1503155.htm

thanks

richsmells

Might be alright, might be a nail. Crap photos and "spits flames" as a good point kinda put me off.

Who honestly tries to sell a car by taking photos in the dark! :unsure:

Edited by richsmells

happygoron

"straight threw exhaust pops and bangs nice and spits FLAMES"

I'd run a mile! :unsure:

hexhamstu

So you can't even see it in the pics and its over fueling? AND he wants £850. No thanks. Although it does have "good griping tyres", so maybe its got a brand new set of R888s on it? or then again maybe not.

hexhamstu

If you are serious about it, I'd check it over for rust (inner wings, under back seats, boot floors and where the rear quarter meets the sill.) Also check the history of the GTI beam on it. If it hasn't been rebuilt it was probably a waste of time putting it on there. Don't know much about modifying the TU engine so have no idea if the Maestro carb was a good idea or not, I'd be asking if it had been jetted to suit, maybe?

DaveW

id steer clear of that, bet the engine is on its last legs..

lemmingzappa
14" vtr wheels

(this is quiker than VTRs and most 1.6's)

straight threw exhaust pops and bangs nice and spits FLAMES.

I would avoid.

You can also guess his age by looking at his username (although that's not necessarily a bad thing).

Tom Fenton

To the original poster

Come on buddy, use your loaf. You've posted 3 different cars for us to look at now, all sheds, surely you must be picking up the common theme? If you buy something that has been dubiously "modified" by a young lad, then you can pretty much take for granted it will have been thrashed to within an inch of its life, will be bodged left right and centre, and probably has some decent faults.

If you want a good example of an XS you will look for a standard one, that has been looked after by a mature owner. Stay away from anything that has been modified. In this kind of price range you will either get what you pay for, or you will pay over the odds for a heap of s*it.

woo83

The only time my old rallye poped, banged and spat FLAMES is when the exhaust was f**ked and it was sucking air. :wacko:

Personally I'd steer clear, Although it could just be an alright car with a rubbish sales pitch :unsure:

swordfish210

Unfourtanatly most XS's have been ragged half to death. The engines love to be revved but most people who have them (and claim that the exhausts will spit flames) don't look after them which is vital for the engines lifespan. For instance i've had my 205XT for 32,000 miles now and i've abused the engine more than i care to remember but it's still on the original big end bearings because i kept to the service shedules and didnt do anything stupid with it.

My advice would be to look for a completly standard XS that has plenty of recipts for service parts. There was a nice standard XTon pistonheads a few moths ago that would have been prefect and it was going for £500

Will Eastman

yeh thanks guys, i did kinda pretty much know it was s*it just want an xs so much. Its just im a 20 year old student with no money, sickeningly intop cars and wanting one. The xs is low on insurance and high on performance. I guess just keep waiting. Am also intrestred in the stdt (is this a good option) i dont like the intereior tho. Im looking in the right places i think tho: ebay, local paper, autotrader, pistonheads. But yeh thanks for all the help guys.

mr_exe

The bits I picked up on are Mint, stunning condition, but wear on the drivers seat, and the 'mini maestro carb', and some spelling mistakes in the ad.

I'd say pass on this one, by the law of averages you will stumble accross a good one soon enough.

richsmells

Have you not looked for a 1.6 Gti? I had mine when I was your age and insurance wasn't that bad.

Edited by richsmells

Will Eastman

insurance for one is about 1200 rather than 540 for an xs, and theyll cost more to buy in genral, but obveously would prefere, im just searching on confused.com is there any recomendations for companys that are cheap?

efy2bjg

I paid £1000 for my 1.9 when I was 19 with elephant, I put an mi16 in when I was 20 and it went down to £700 ish with HIC. Try them.