• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
rallysteve

Ordering New Bearings From Peugeot

rallysteve

Im about to order the bits i need for my engine rebuild from the dealers. The only problem is im not sure which bearings I need. It is for the XU9J4 engine and the crank is being re-ground. I can guess the main bearings would be 0113 92 marked 'repar'. But im not sure about the big end bearings, can anyone help?

Picture1-2.png

Picture2.png

Cheers Steve

pug_ham

You need to measure your crank after the regrind to see what the new crank pin diameter is & then order the bearings to suit.

Ideally whoever did the regrind shoud tell you the oversize bearings needed when you collect you crank.

Graham.

Tom Fenton

I would not order the new bearings from the dealer, they will cost a fortune and then there is this issue you mention of trying to get the right stuff.

Almost every engine machine shop I have ever used will also supply you all the bearings and piston rings etc that you may need, you'll be sure you have the right stuff, and also a lot cheaper than the main dealer.

welshpug

Actually the bearings and an MLS original head gasket were the same price from a dealer for my gti6 engine as they were elsewhere, piston rings on the other hand were under half the price!

Always check what the price is before condemning the dealers for expensive prices!

As for which to get, the 0606 F9 big end bearing is a 0.3 oversize one, you can see the specified size of the crankshaft next to the part numbers there i.e 49.7mm, check that your machinist has taken it to 49.7, if they've taken it to anything else ask them to supply a bearing to suit, Peugeot only typically show 0.3 as a first oversize and nothing thereafter for their petrol engines.

The standard XU big end bearing is for a 50.0mm journal, that would be the 0606 H1 part number shown.

rallysteve
Actually the bearings and an MLS original head gasket were the same price from a dealer for my gti6 engine as they were elsewhere, piston rings on the other hand were under half the price!

Always check what the price is before condemning the dealers for expensive prices!

As for which to get, the 0606 F9 big end bearing is a 0.3 oversize one, you can see the specified size of the crankshaft next to the part numbers there i.e 49.7mm, check that your machinist has taken it to 49.7, if they've taken it to anything else ask them to supply a bearing to suit, Peugeot only typically show 0.3 as a first oversize and nothing thereafter for their petrol engines.

The standard XU big end bearing is for a 50.0mm journal, that would be the 0606 H1 part number shown.

Cheers, thats what i wanted to know. Its my friend who is machining the crank for me so it is being taken down to 0.3 undersize. According to service box they are £85 and £72 for the bearings which I thought was fairly good value for genuine bearings. In fact everything except the head gasket, cylinder head bolts and rocker gasket seem very reasonably priced from the dealers for the mi16.

Cheers Steve

Tom Fenton

Having built my fair share of engines, nearly £160 just for mains and big end bearings is scandalous money in my opinion. However each to their own.

rallysteve
Having built my fair share of engines, nearly £160 just for mains and big end bearings is scandalous money in my opinion. However each to their own.

What sort of money should I be paying then? I have contacted 3 places, all of which have quoted more or almost the same for the bearings? What make should I be after, the ones the engine seems to have in are SK or something.

Ta Steve

j_turnell

I agree with Tom, thats a silly amount of money, been a while since i last built an engine but it was nowhere near £160!

Tom Fenton

I've had a brief look in my file and can't find an invoice, but as an example, I had a 1900 crank ground, set of liners honed, one conrod resized as it had spun a shell, a replacement oil pump, and all bottom end bearings for £230 odd.

welshpug

Just saying, its worth checking!! Gti6 big ends are £33 a set from Peugeot.

Team BDR

*2 month old thread revival*

Im replacing the big end bearings in my 1.9 8v. I measure the crank to be 49.97 (average) using a digital vernier. I believe the crank has done 113k. I've read that the tolerances for the standard crank are 49.98-50mm. Does my crank need grinding to 0.3 undersize or can i get away with using standard size bearings? Im picking up a micrometer tonight to get a more accurate reading but I need to order the bearings a.s.a.p as its holding up the build.

Cheers,

Rob

Team BDR

I mic'd the crank last night and its in spec. Any ideas where I can get standard size big end bearings. I've tried peugeot and all the local motorfactors and can't fnd any where. Also tried my local engine builder and he put me onto one company who are getting back to me.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Tom Fenton

Any engine machine shop should be able to get you bearings without a problem. Certainly all the places I've ever used could get them next day.

Team BDR

Any ideas on cost? Ebay prices seem to be £20 delivered but the one person that can supply them locally want £80.

Are they just under machine shops on yell? I'm not adverse to mail order either :lol:

Sign in to follow this