• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chrisj21

Gti6 Timing Belt Kit?

chrisj21

Just looking on service box getting some part numbers and there are two choices for the timing belt.

1, Motor Kit

2, Timing Kit

servicebox.jpg

Any idea what the timing kit is? or the difference between the two? I assume the no.2 is for a later or earlier engine?

Thanks

damien

off the top of the head the kit is the cam belt, the roller and tensioner. one is for the ph2 and the other is for the ph3, something to do with the number of teeth on the belt, something like 136 teeth and 137 teeth, i beleave that both kits fit all gti6 engines

Alastairh

The earlier 136 tooth kit consists of metal tensioners (similar to a MI), where as the later is a 137 tooth kit which Pug will only sell you and has a plastic auto tensioner. Personally i would go for the earlier kit and thats what i fitted to my own GTI6 engine the other week.

If you are converting from kit to kit you may need different dowels and bolts etc but available from pug for pence.

Al

chrisj21

Ah right, that makes sense, i remember someone mentioning the teeth number now.

Ok i'll order the first one (motor kit 0831 48) as a member said he'd used that one, just confused me slightly and wanted to double check first.

Thanks Damien :)

welshpug

if you currently have the plastic tensioner and 137 tooth belt you'll need to fit the 0820 17 stud (pat No 9 above) for the metal tensioner, its about £3.

Edited by welshpug

chrisj21

Alistairh, i think we both replied at the same time as i missed your post, i'm sure mine is the earlier engine from a 98 xsara i beleive and 99% certain i do not have the plastic tensioner fitted.

I'm not converting just changing the belt and tensioners. I assume the earlier kit is part no. 0831 48 ?

Thanks

welshpug

yup, about £48.50 + vat from GSF!

chrisj21

Much qaulity difference that you know off welshpug?

Tesstuff
i'm sure mine is the earlier engine from a 98 xsara i beleive and 99% certain i do not have the plastic tensioner fitted.

Do you know the age of the head from Carl then Chris?

Does having separate age parts make a difference?

Edited by Tesstuff

chrisj21

Thats a good point actually Daz, no idea what the cock gave me to be honest.

Alastairh
if you currently have the plastic tensioner and 137 tooth belt you'll need to fit the 0820 17 stud (pat No 9 above) for the metal tensioner, its about £3.

That sounds about right. Luckily i had a spare block in the back with the correct stud. For a 98 car, it will be the earlier setup, so ideal!

Al

welshpug

Chris I do believe the kiit GSF supply is an INA - Dayco one, so should be as close as you can get to a £95 kit from Peugeot.

Have to say I haven't bought that particular one as yet but will be in the next 2 weeks, I have used several of their kits for diesels, and an Mi16.

marksorrento205

Chris, same as on the part no. I always use the earlier one on my gti6 engines and have never had a problem with them. I dont trust a plastic tensioner. I may have or if not know someone with the part WP is talking about. I will let you know when I have looked in the shed.

chrisj21

Cheers Mark, i did look up the part no. you gave me on service box and it brought up 4 options, 2 for the xu10j4r and 2 for rs then when i chose the rs option it brought up another 2 :)

So i was abit confused as to what was what. I've ordered the gsf one now so i'll take a look when it arrives and report back.

marksorrento205

I have not put it in a search so I dont know what I will come up with. Its the one for my gti6 engine with the metal pulleys though. I have bought three of them now :lol:

Edit: 0831 48 is the no I always get. The gsf one will be spot on too. How much was it in the end?

Edited by marksorrento205

yeti-dj

hello, i used a 136 tooth belt with the metal tensioners and the belt was stupidly tight and really hard to fit, the 137 tooth fitted like a dream..

Edited by yeti-dj

welshpug
hello, i used a 136 tooth belt with the metal tensioners and the belt was stupidly tight and really hard to fit, the 137 tooth fitted like a dream..

must have been something not quite right, never had an issue with how tight they were!

did you slacken the adjustable cam pulleys?

marksorrento205
must have been something not quite right, never had an issue with how tight they were!

did you slacken the adjustable cam pulleys?

As WP said, they slip on a dream. I wonder what caused that then?

chrisj21

It came to about £63.00 with vat and delivery or around about that as i got a few other bits, £48.90 excluding.

One of my cam pulleys is really tight even with the bolt out it won't turn, no idea what i'm going to do with that.

Happy Days

Edited by chrisj21

marksorrento205
It came to about £63.00 with vat and delivery or around about that as i got a few other bits, £48.90 excluding.

One of my cam pulleys is really tight even with the bolt out it won't turn, no idea what i'm going to do with that.

Happy Days

Ummm - sounds like the pulley has stuck on where it has not been moved for years.

Edited by marksorrento205

chrisj21

You'd think good old mr you know who would have sorted it out really but hey ho, i know not to go back now.

marksorrento205

You live and learn. I learnt when I saw a car with no jubilee clips on fuel injection pipes to and from the fuel rail post head gasket change.....

chrisj21

I certainly remember that now you mention it, and a few other bits cropped up too.

TOYBOY

What is the part no. for kit from GSF? Don't see it on their website.

chrisj21

Well my cambelt kit arrived today.

The part number is N12980 - £48.90

The box is marked vetech, the belt is a dayco item.

Belt kit. 1 x belt, 1 x tensioner, 1 x pulley and 3 bolts and a washer.

th_IMG00019-20100211-1924.jpg

Tensioner

th_IMG00020-20100211-1925.jpg

Pulley

th_IMG00021-20100211-1925.jpg

Bolts

th_IMG00022-20100211-1925.jpg

All looks good qaulity so should be ok, certainly saved me £50 anyway.

Just for reference the tensioner is marked - INA F-122868

The pulley is marked - INA F-122124

:ph34r:

Edited by chrisj21

Sign in to follow this