• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Baz

[misc_work] 'nvl' - My '92 Miami 1.6 Gti

welshpug

std 1.6 was 850 in the book iirc, 1.9 875, depends on spec of course!

i'd be intrigued to see what mine comes in at, ever popped a volvo on baz?..

Anthony

A few more comments that Baz put on another thread regarding that weight and what was and wasn't fitted when it was weighed:

Good points, but not quite, which is even more surprising! That's not with me in it, obviously! (Unlike engine killer's weight, so is a little different!)

But, there wasn't masses removed, spare wheel cage, boot mat, parcel shelf(with 6x9's!), carpet mats etc, were all still present. There's also 10 speakers in there, but 4 are component sets consisting of lightweight magnesium speakers, tweeters and crossovers.

But, no underlay in the cabin or boot, rear washer bottle or jack/wheel brace & the rear wiper is removed. Underlay/sound deadening remains on the bulkhead and carpet is still there.

It's a Ph2 non-sunroof 1.6 original shell but with 1.9 8v engine, Kaaz diff(heavy!) in BE3 box, 309 front running gear, Koni/Eibachs, drum braked rear beam with big ARB, had keep-fit windows at the time and 7x15" Compomotive CXR's with near-new T1R's, Sparco Rev driver's seat, OMP steering wheel with removable adaptor, full ph2 1.9 seats & interior bar handbrake surround missing.

Yes and a 'special' lightweight small patch of rear quarter! :lol:

Not bad at all and as you say, a little noisy as expected but still civilized enough to have a conversation at 80 leptons and comfy enough for a Euro-trip. Handles superbly and i bloody love it to bits as the drive home from Ace last night proved again!. :wub:

Baz

Thanks Ant!

It's light and sparce in there but it's got all you could need IYKWIM! There'd easily be another 15kg or so that you could remove very easily in the carpet mats, bulk head insulation, parcel shelf with speakers, boot mat, bits of trim etc, before even going on a serious diet, but it's ultimately my do-everything road toy that remains fairly comfortable, a back up for the other more dedicated cars, again proving that you don't actually need one that's more dedicated to a point!

I've fitted different door looms and electric windows since though, so that's probably added 0.5kg... :ph34r:

I think people just under-estimate how light they are, especially non-sunroofs!

I can see what the next trend will be on the forum - endless debates about how inaccurate corner weights are :ph34r:

:lol: I've had the same worries tbh! Meh, i know the scales fairly well and have never presented a problem.

Mei, never weighed any of the Volvo's no! Would be interesting but then there's a massive difference, IIRC the 'R is obviously a fair whack heavier than the FWD p1 V70 i have, but that is supposedly quite a chunk heavier than the 4WD 850!

welshpug

I saw a Phase1 V70R Saturday :D AdamB did tell me that some of the quickest track Volvo's were 2wd S60's, all that hefty haldex stuff and an epic subframe, even if it is ally!

Baz

The little shed's had a bit of love recently!

Nowt major but replaced the steering wheel for a new one a couple of weeks ago, only for one almost identical to what was on it, a 330mm suede OMP jobby! Mmm suede... :)

Then unfortunately looked out of the window a few weeks ago to see this;

th_91D557F1.jpg

:( Luckily i have a spare door but even so a massive PITA! I actually swapped the door one evening but then much to my obvious dismay found the latch mechanism to be faulty, so it came off again and the damaged one put back on, although with the majority of the dent popped out! Need to find some time to get the latch changed and then pop the door on!

It did a bit of a mammoth roadtrip last week too. Went down to Sussex to pick up Dan(Taylorspug) and drop some more bits off to him for my stupid white 205 that he currently has(fitting a new engine, modifying the seat bars & cage etc) and then take him down to Plymouth to pick up his new toy; a Ph2 Steel Grey 1.6 GTi that turned out to be a bit of a little gem! Has the wrong interior in it and didn't run until we got there armed with fuel pumps, tachy relays and a few other bits & bobs, but basically a successful trip, having lots of fun hooning back across the south of England in the small hours of the morning on the way home! I got home around 5am having covered around 675miles! :)

th_F64EAD7C.jpg

I also took out another bloody badger late one night down the lanes on the way home from my workshop at around 45 or so last week too, annihilated the valance - which is already a cable tied both together & on 'special' anyway, and ripped the driving light bracket from the front panel which i can't do loads about really, but a few cable ties later it was back together looking (half) respectable! Again proving why cable ties are such a good way to secure them as they break before anything important/expensive! :lol:

Today, it (somehow! :ph34r:) passed it's MOT, so that's another year or so it can stay alive! -Luckily because my registration is still on it!! I really ought to do something about the grot, or just carry on running it until the shell really has started falling apart... more! Having silly thoughts about putting a Longman 8v i acquired recently into it, which would really require a set of bodies & management... -_-:rolleyes:

th_B268507F.jpgth_79BEE9D6.jpg

welshpug

That's ok Baz, you always seem to have some bodies lying about :P

Are those TH's on there and if so what width and offset are they?

Baz

I only have one 'spare' set at the moment as it happens & they're spoken for! Got a couple of ECU's though! :P

Longman 8v #2 has a Catcam 342 fitted, 287degrees or so iirc, probably a bit much for standard inlet/management?! :unsure:

Yup, proper pug-fit TH's in 6x15", ET20. :)

Edited by Baz

welshpug

Not too far off a PTS gravel cam?

Definite nono with an AFM, mine (MP3.1) would idle in a terribly lumpy style with standard compression, and absolutely fly above 1800, I'd imagine it'd be fine with proper compression and a mapped ecu, though obviously not as good as ITB's.

Baz

It has 1.6 pistons in Mi liners, double valve springs & retainers etc. The head is the usual Longman's job, has been on the flow bench at QEP and flows as expected.

Tbh if i was going to the hassle of management/mapping etc i'd just whack it on bodies anyway, i have an inlet and a few other bits & bobs anyway. But then i just think what's the point when i kind of already have that in the other Longman engine, i'd like a bit more but not to the point where it's silly / £££. :unsure: