• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
davey sprocket

Total G'box Oil

davey sprocket

OK, so its my turn for a daft question.... :)

Chuffed with myself for changing the bottom engine mount bush today.... right up to the point I realised I have no oil to refill the gearbox. Plonker. :)

I've searched old threads and the concensus is I should use the proper Total 75/80 BV.

Question is, where do I get it from now that I am rather restricted to how far I can walk in my lunch hour??

Pug main dealer?? I guess I could get the better half to stop by and get some.... but what will she come back with??

GSF do Fuchs oils.

Do Total filling stations stock their full range of oils do you suppose?? Still a good few miles from work, even if they do.

Any suggestions?

EdCherry

I get mine from Dorset Autospares, £4 for 1L or something... will deliver to you I reckon!

davey sprocket
I get mine from Dorset Autospares, £4 for 1L or something... will deliver to you I reckon!

Thanks fella, I can get to them, they're just down the road..... thing is, their website doesn't say which brand of oil they sell.... are you suggesting they do Total?

I might give them a call in the morning.

EdCherry

Yer i've bought a good 6-8L of the total stuff from them. Just ask total specfically and job done! They are motaquip dealers.

davey sprocket
Yer i've bought a good 6-8L of the total stuff from them. Just ask total specfically and job done! They are motaquip dealers.

Cool. :)

Yes, I spotted the Motaquip wishbones on there at a good price!

Chris H

The halfords 75w80 seems to have been fine in my 306 s16, i normally use total but had none in stock so used the halfords stuff.

As mentioned.any Motaquip distributor should do the total Bv....as do any peugeot or citroen dealer

24seven

One of the first jobs I've done on every car I've taken ownership of is changed the box oil and I've always used Halfords own with no issues. :)

RossD

The stuff Peugeot sell (i.e. from the dealer) was actually cheaper than Halfords last time I got some.

jimistdt

I picked up 2 litres of BV 75/80 from Peugeot yesterday and it's Esso/PSA, always thought they used Total? Is this a recent change?

jedibusa
I picked up 2 litres of BV 75/80 from Peugeot yesterday and it's Esso/PSA, always thought they used Total? Is this a recent change?

Thats exactly what i got from the dealer about a year ago. I was surprised as i was expecting to get Total but the dealer said this is what they use now.

welshpug

was it a bit dusty? PSA used to use ESSO and Shell lubricants a few years ago.

jedibusa

I can't remember now.

The only place in town to get it is not a true peugeot dealer but an authorised peugeot repairer. It's the Advantage Motor group which does all sorts of manaufacturers.

Either way i'm not too fussed as it seems ok.

welshpug

yeah, as long as its to the right spec its normally fine.

jimistdt

Not at all, in fact the date of manufacture was 29/06/09.

Anthony

Out of interest, can you remember off the top of your head how much it is from Peugeot?

jimistdt

£11.03 for two litres, but I got mine for just under a tenner with VAT on top of that.

davey sprocket
Out of interest, can you remember off the top of your head how much it is from Peugeot?

As I ended up at the main dealer on Monday after all.....

Off the top of my head and off the bottom of my receipt.... £6.10 including the VAT per litre for your genuine Total 75/80BV (although I accept other branded stuff would do fine!)

Which is pretty good seeing as Halfords pedal the Castrol equivalent at £12.99.. per litre!

Rupertfinch

Can I offer a contentious point? I've totally refilled the gearbox on my 1.6 twice now (once due to error and the other deliberately) and have used Total BV and the ESSO equivalent - the box felt much better after the ESSO.

Perhaps the Total acted as a superb flushing agent and another refill of it would have had the same result? But I'm so pleased with the ESSO i'm using it on my Williams as well - soon. So don't worry about the brand, as long as it's one of the three praised in this thread.

davey sprocket
£11.03 for two litres, but I got mine for just under a tenner with VAT on top of that.

:lol:

Hmmmm... that's a bummer then.

Nice signature by the way!! :)

jimistdt
:lol:

Hmmmm... that's a bummer then.

Nice signature by the way!! :)

Its worth getting to know your parts man, I'm a cheeky git anyway and I'll always ask if he can knock me a bit off, equates to about 10%, I think he said he'd do it as a staff order (?)

And, yes, my sig is all your own work.... B);)

Sign in to follow this