• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dylan l

No B Spark

Dylan l

Hi All

I am installing a megasqirt ms1 on my competition car.

I have just got to the starting and tuning phase, now the problem I have is while cranking the engine there is no spark at

cylinders 2 and 3.All the led's are flashing and cylinders 1+4 plugs are sparking.

Does anybody have any ideas of anything that I could try.

The car is a peugeot 205gti with a 60-2 flywheel and and 306 fidle and edis coil.

Regards

Dylan

Edited by Dylan l

hcmini1989

are you using a ford coil pack/wasted spark etc. if so get an ohm meter on the coil were the ht leads go and measure the resistances between 1+4 and 2+3 see if there the same or close to each other if not chances are the coil is f*cked .or could be a coil driver .or bad earth

post up what you get with the ohm meter

if your not using a ford coil pack what coil are you using and are you running wated spark.

if your not running wasted spark could allso be some thing to do with the trigger settings .but my money is on the coil :)

sorry just re read the post after you`ve edited and i would definatly say its the coil .have you done any bootloading with the ecu i.e reloading firmware .with the coil still plugged in if so its f***d and you`ll need another coil

Edited by hcmini1989

Dylan l

I don't have the car here to try the resistances.

" have you done any bootloading with the ecu i.e reloading firmware .with the coil still plugged in if so its f***d and you`ll need another coil"

I don't think I have done any bootloading, but we have tried another coil but still no joy.

I have used megalogviewer and see that the spark disappear quickly.

hcmini1989
I don't have the car here to try the resistances.

" have you done any bootloading with the ecu i.e reloading firmware .with the coil still plugged in if so its f***d and you`ll need another coil"

I don't think I have done any bootloading, but we have tried another coil but still no joy.

I have used megalogviewer and see that the spark disappear quickly.

r

post the log up so we can see allso recheck the earths and make sure the coil itself is earthed

did you build the ecu yourself or was it a readybuilt one .id post this on msextra.com aswell

i had this same problem because when i reloaded the firmware it fooked the coil .but if youve tried another coil .do you not have a multi meter might be worth investing in one even a cheap one from ebay .

are you sure the coils are ok chances of you having two duff coils are slim i know but you knever know .are you running the edis module or just the coil

Dylan l

I have posted in the msextra .com and have downloaded the files.

The coil is mounted to the end of the head and the earths are good,with a edis coil.

The ecu was built by Phil at efi extra "daxtojeiro" on the forum.

I have a meter but the car is at my mates house.

http://www.msextra.com/forums/download/file.php?id=13509

r

post the log up so we can see allso recheck the earths and make sure the coil itself is earthed with

did you build the ecu yourself or was it a readybuilt one .id post this on msextra.com aswell

i had this same problem because when i reloaded the firmware it fooked the coil .but if youve tried another coil .do you not have a multi meter might be worth investing in one even a cheap one from ebay .

are you sure the coils are ok chances of you having two duff coils are slim i know but you knever know .are you running the edis module or just the coil

hcmini1989

pmd you mate.just to check you have trigger pos a-10 and trigger pos b-40 other than that mate im stumped maybe a bad earth on the ecu.try switching the spark a and spark b wires around to see if you get a spark on 2-3 if thats the case you can rule out the coil and start looking at the ecu and its earths

hcmini1989

hi dylan right ive had a look at your datalog managed to download it before.

one problem does it run ?as its cranking over at around 700rpm if not id say you have some sort off problem with either noise in the rpm signal ,wrong wheel decoder settings ,

allso there is no spark at all in some time during cranking .did you get a pre built loom or did you solder all the connectors onto the db37 .either way id check the spark b wire check its continuitiy

Dylan l

no it does not run.The first cranking revolutions it sounds as if it is going to start but battery looses power and I stop before

burning out the starter.

The loom was pre built by Phil (forum admin) and we just put the end's on.

continuity for spark B is ok.

I have trigger pos A10

trigger return pos 18

trigger pos B40

trigger return pos 48

hi dylan right ive had a look at your datalog managed to download it before.

one problem does it run ?as its cranking over at around 700rpm if not id say you have some sort off problem with either noise in the rpm signal ,wrong wheel decoder settings ,

allso there is no spark at all in some time during cranking .did you get a pre built loom or did you solder all the connectors onto the db37 .either way id check the spark b wire check its continuitiy

hcmini1989

trigger settings sound ok to me .same as what ive got but im using time based instead of trigger return not that it matters .well theres 3 only things i can think off

-one of the ecu earths is bad {think of the ecu as a big switch and it cant switch the coil properly} might be worth seeing if any of them are getting hot whilst cranking

-the coil is knackerd you really need to check this with an ohm meter just to rule it out before you go changing anything else you might have 2 duff coils

-coil driver send the ecu back to extraefi (phil) to test that everything is ok or plug the spark A wire from the ecu into spark B wire on the ecu it wont do any harm just to see if it sparks

i cant realy think of anythink else plugs or leads maybe

hope this helps mate

Edited by hcmini1989

madspikes

I'm PM'd you...

Do the coil drivers get warm at all?

As said before the cranking rpm looks too high, should be more like 350rpm. Are you using a Mi flywheel?

Mad.

Edited by madspikes

Dylan l
I'm PM'd you...

Do the coil drivers get warm at all?

As said before the cranking rpm looks too high, should be more like 350rpm. Are you using a Mi flywheel?

Mad.

I think it was a 1.8 16v engine it came off.

Dylan l

It is earthed to the original gearbox bolt with the battery earth.

trigger settings sound ok to me .same as what ive got but im using time based instead of trigger return not that it matters .well theres 3 only things i can think off

-one of the ecu earths is bad {think of the ecu as a big switch and it cant switch the coil properly} might be worth seeing if any of them are getting hot whilst cranking

-the coil is knackerd you really need to check this with an ohm meter just to rule it out before you go changing anything else you might have 2 duff coils

-coil driver send the ecu back to extraefi (phil) to test that everything is ok or plug the spark A wire from the ecu into spark B wire on the ecu it wont do any harm just to see if it sparks

i cant realy think of anythink else plugs or leads maybe

hope this helps mate