• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sceptre

Updating My Sound System!

sceptre

Hello :)

I am working on as tight a budget as I can get away with and would like to produce a bassier cleaner sound.

I want the car to appear normal but have the sound system of a chaved up saxo.

My plan is to:

a. buy a better radio with a built in amp (it must be cheap!!! and have a black, normal looking face)

b. install some extra bassy speakers into the rear pillars

c. install some extra bassy speakers into the front doors

will this plan work?

and does anyone know what I should be buying???

DrSarty
will this plan work?

No.

Go read some of the few threads in this ICE related section as you'll see that installation is the secret. There is no magic product or brand, and certainly not for peanuts.

One make of speaker will really not make anymore bass in the same mounting hole as another, unless it handles a lot more power and you can put more power into it.

Speakers that genuinely handle more power cost a lot more money, and you would have to upgrade the mountings to help them work properly.

And real power comes from a separate amplifier, which is difficult to do on a budget too and requires some installation skills.

THE way to make a real difference, is install a sub box/amp combo in the boot, turn the 'loudness' circuit/function off on your new head unit, and either carry on with the OE speakers or install some £50 upgrades.

That's the simple answer to your question. Put a sub box with amp in.

The Saxo chav sound can however be achieved by some 6x9 speakers in a decent MDF parcel shelf, although it won't be as good as a proper sub box system.

Edited by DrSarty

Simes

In summary

Replace door speakers for better ones - drive them with an amp

Sub box and amp in the rear.

Get the best head unit you can afford.

chrisj21

This is a very good read.

Click

Also i'll just ad, you have to carefull with the speakers you can have behind the original speaker grilles as i have found out recently, don't buy anything the protrudes to much as you won't get the grilles back on.

Chris

Edited by chrisj21

mr_exe

In experience the sound system of a chavved up saxo is lots of distortion, the sound of rattling plastic trim and the most awful s*ite polluting the locality. All done with a ripspeed head unit with 1.5inch tv screen. Most importantly don't forget the Alpine graphic in the back window.

Seriously i've found a good head unit (quality not gimmicks being the key) with front a rear pre-outs, driving a good 4 channel amp, driving a pair of front speakers, and the two other channels driving a sub plenty good enough. If you can't afford to do it all at one go then don't worry and buy a bit at a time when funds allow rather than buying a lot of poor quality stuff in one go. Also pay attention to the wiring and use the best quality cabling you can.

sceptre

Cheers guys for all your responses!

Ok well I don't have much money at all so I set myself a budget of £40 and started looking for a decent set of 6x9s.

But I stumbled on the a great ebay find and just won it for £10!!!

Its 2 kenwood 6976 6x9s mounted into a professional acoustic 205 parcel shelf with an acoustic stealth cloth so the speakers are not visible from the top of the shelf! I'd been looking at these acoustic shelves and they are at least £50 each brand new and the speakers are plenty good enough to make a nicer sound.

I'm really really happy with this ebay win, please feel free to tell me if its s*ite

Ok next question for you guys, and this really shows how little knowledge I have on sound systems!

Should I keep the rear speakers attached rather than just taking their wires and plugging them into the new ones?

What are my options for wiring these new speakers??? I don't really want to rip my car up to get the new wires in? Could I split the wires at the back???

Thanks again for all your replies so far!!!

Masekwm

Halfords are selling off their speaker cable for £1 a metre, go and buy loads and save yourself a lot of money

boombang

If you want a good head unit but not bothered about iPod, I've got an Alpine CD MP3 unit that was very high end a few years back but pre-dates the aux input / iPod cable of newer units.

Has a far better internal amp than most too, will happily drive a set of components off it.

Give me a PM if interested and I'll get more details.

sceptre

OK, so now what it appears I need is the cheapest high wattage head unit possible!!!

Anyone know of any units or brands to watch out for???

DrSarty
OK, so now what it appears I need is the cheapest high wattage head unit possible!!!

Anyone know of any units or brands to watch out for???

If you buy cheap you'll get crap.

Spending about 100quid will get you an MP3 compatible (possibly iPod too) head unit with enough power for your needs.

This is for a new unit of a recognised brand such as Sony or Kenwood. Naturally, you may be able to find one second hand for less.

High numbers is NOT always best.

sceptre
High numbers is NOT always best.

Ah... see I've just been looking at the cheapest 4x50Watt units, I've found one for £35 which I am very tempted by.

To be honest I don't care too much about whether its cassette/cd/radio/mp3/auxin/dvd. The one I have now is just cassette, CD would be appreciated but not required. I may end up buying one of these gay plasticy silvery things and end up having to paint it black myself!!!

Veero

My 205 is so noisy and rattly I can't see the point in spending big ££ on a stereo (or install if I'm being trendy). I am running an Alpine iPod control HU with some bog Sony speakers and for me it's fine but an audiophile might get into the car and start criticising things straight off. Now whilst I do like my clear music (all my MP3 rips are the highest bitrate the software will do) the 205 is hardly a symphony hall, I can appreciate some people can justify spending lots of money on their ICE (what an effing gay acronym) I just can't.

To be honest you could get reasonable sound from a middle of the road headunit, but I would expect for £35-60 new you are going to end up with a s*itter, maybe even with dancing blue flashing lights and 'Ripspeed' printed on it somewhere. At least fork out on a semi-decent headunit at the very minimum.

GLPoomobile

All I've managed to learn from this topic is how to play crap quality sounds as loud as possible :lol:

sceptre
All I've managed to learn from this topic is how to play crap quality sounds as loud as possible :lol:

Haha totally what I'm attempting to achieve.

Argh Oh NO! The acoustic parcel shelf just arrived and it doesnt have the bits that stick out at the back of the shelf to sit it into the mountings! Haha plus it weighs a ton. The boot lid will never stay up on its own now!!!

So ok, i've set a budget for the unit, £30 and I want at least 4x45! Any help. (I know the volume nob will fall off the first time I go over a bump and the quality will be s*it)

DrSarty

FFS Sceptre, go shopping for yourself and look!

And did you expect a medium density fibreboard (MDF) shelf to be light?

You've had some good advice in here; please take it.

Boomer (Alex):

I'll have your head unit matey. PM me details and we'll do it.

Edited by DrSarty

sceptre

Sorry DrSarty!

sceptre

OK more serious question now:

Does anyone have an audio wiring diagram for a 205 WITH REAR SPEAKERS???

My haynes only has it with the two door speakers.

All I need to know is the wire numbers for the two original rear speakers!!! I'm trying to work out which is positive and which is negative without removing the rear speakers!

Paul_13

Does it matter for the +ve/-ve on speakers, in my experience they have always worked either way I plug them in.

Have a look on the main site: Here Then click on articles on the top toolbar, then scroll down to basic 205 ICE installation. It shows where the rear speakers are.

Edited by Paul_13

Lan
OK more serious question now:

Does anyone have an audio wiring diagram for a 205 WITH REAR SPEAKERS???

My haynes only has it with the two door speakers.

All I need to know is the wire numbers for the two original rear speakers!!! I'm trying to work out which is positive and which is negative without removing the rear speakers!

honestly, you really shouldn't need a wiring diag to work out that (no offence)

Lan
Does it matter for speakers, in my experience they have always work either way I plug them.

yeah reverse polarity makes the sound all wrong, especially in the case of a decent home setup

richsmells
Does it matter for the +ve/-ve on speakers, in my experience they have always worked either way I plug them in.

Yes, they'll be out of phase if not!

Paul_13

Oops! I was wrong

Chuckyd

red pos black neg?

DrSarty
red pos black neg?

Most likely yes.