• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tdr_1976

Uprated Rear Engine Mount

tdr_1976

How much of a job is it to fit an Uprated rear engine mount?

I've seen the one I want, but the bracket doesn't come with it, is it a pig of a job to fit?

Never done one before, any suggestions as to the best type to fit, Rubber, Poly or solid?

I've seen the Group N rubber ones.

Cheers!

allye

Do you mean bottom mount? If So I would say it bloody hard without a ramp! Also I would strongly suggest standard or only slightly harder mount as solid is too aggressive for for road use (if that what it is for) The engine is suppose to move around a little!

tdr_1976
Do you mean bottom mount? If So I would say it bloody hard without a ramp! Also I would strongly suggest standard or only slightly harder mount as solid is too aggressive for for road use (if that what it is for) The engine is suppose to move around a little!

Oh s**t yes, I meant bottom mount. :lol:

I've decided on the group N one, there's no point in me putting std one back in, with all the gear changes it'd be knackered in no time!

allye

Good plan, if you can get the front high enough you should not have too much trouble getting it uot on your drive! But as with anything underneath a ramp makes it a million times easier/quicker.

miamichris
Oh s**t yes, I meant bottom mount. :)

I've decided on the group N one, there's no point in me putting std one back in, with all the gear changes it'd be knackered in no time!

Said it before on here and I'll say it again, get the TI motorsport poly lower mount! one of the best upgrades I did on my xs! The track control arm polybush kit is well worth it too ;)

You can do it no problem without a ramp, just jack it up and get it on axle stands, loosen the wee hockey stick bolts and remove the driver's side driveshaft from the gearbox (obviously disconnecting the lower ball joint and track rod end to remove it).

Unbolt the engine mount bracket and remove it, press the old bush out (I was able to bash mine out with the bracket in a vice as i don't have a press :blush: ), grease the polybush and hit it in with a rubber hammer and then knock the metal sleeve in. Refit the engine mount, connect everything back up and you're done!

Its an awkward job (aren't they all on a 205??) but makes such a difference to the gearchange and feel of the car now your engine isn't shifting around everywhere! :lol:

Hope that helps, good luck! :)

Paul_13
Said it before on here and I'll say it again, get the TI motorsport poly lower mount! one of the best upgrades I did on my xs! The track control arm polybush kit is well worth it too :blush:

I worked there for a little while :)

tdr_1976

Nice one Guy's,

I've already purchased the bottom mount, but I'm going to go for the ARB and track rod end bushes from Ti.

Cheers!

miamichris
Nice one Guy's,

I've already purchased the bottom mount, but I'm going to go for the ARB and track rod end bushes from Ti.

Cheers!

the track control arm bushes are a bas***d to change (if you know someone with a press, it really helps!) but again, definitely worth it, really tightens up the steering/turn in.

It may work out easier to just buy a new pair of tca's from your motorfactor (they weren't expensive, maybe £40 I think?) and fit the polybushes to these, then you have new lower balljoints too, thats what I did. Means you can do this in advance and just remove the old tca's and put the new ones straight in. I found it a bit of a bollocks refitting the new tca's, as the polybushes make them so tight, lining the bolts up and through the holes again was difficult but you'll get there in the end.

Check the state of your track rod end balljoints while you're in and around there too mate.

Edited by miamichris

tdr_1976

I know how much of an arse the TCA bushes can be, I gave a mate of mine a hand with his RS2000 once, they don't like moving......lol!

Steffrallye

as said above, is a easy but fiddley job as normal, but is 100% worth it.

AdamP

I can't really compare as I fitted GrpN engine mounts all round at the same time but the gearbox brace bar from TI is supposed to help a fair amount as well. Its only 20 odd quid IIRC so you may as well fit it if you're ordering from TI and have that area in bits anyway.

nick

I fitted a Polybush lower mount to my gti-6 (same mount as 205) it comes in two halves and is a piece of piss to fit, no need to remove the driveshaft and can be fitted in under half an hour, only cost £30 too!!

Nick

Edited by nick

Jrod

I've got a Ti gearbox steady here if anyone wants one, feel free to PM me an offer. :rolleyes:

tdr_1976

I fitted the uprated group N rubber mount to the car today, I've just been out for a test drive to see what difference it actually makes... All I can say is WOW..... :) With the quick shift, and new uprated gear linkages I purchased the other week, the gear change is bloody fantastic!

Well worth the cash!

davidc
I fitted the uprated group N rubber mount to the car today, I've just been out for a test drive to see what difference it actually makes... All I can say is WOW..... :) With the quick shift, and new uprated gear linkages I purchased the other week, the gear change is bloody fantastic!

Well worth the cash!

What type did you get & where did you buy from? How much were they ?

Cheers,

David

tdr_1976

Hi mate,

I got them from this bloke on ebay,

The listing is for the three mounts, but he listed the lower on for me individually;

Click Here

RossD

Aren't these (The ebay ones) the BBM mounts, just being resold?