• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest darcy

Fitting Ph2 Dash Into A Ph1

Guest darcy

hi, i've just bought a d plate 1900. the dash is in a sorry state with parts missing. i would like to update with a phase 2, whats involved in this, what parts are needed, will i need the loom and heater assy too? cheers

Daviewonder

I personally dont think you should fit a phase 2 dash to a phase 1. Id keep a look out for a phase 1 dash and keep it original.

P.S welcome to the site :rolleyes:

Edited by Daviewonder

Paul_13

My dad's mate did this back in the day, he was a complete fruitcake and manage to bugger it up so much the starter used to cut in by itself and the whole thing set alight on my dads drive.

It's a bit of work but heres a few bits you'll need to change

For starters:

Radio in different position, wiring needs changing/moving

New heater box and controls

Not sure what you would do with the fog/hazard/rear screen switches

You will need centre console and a few other bits of trim

Welcome to the forum :rolleyes:

Edited by paul_xiii

Miles

Really all the dash loom then a few wires to swap over, Heater Box, Steering Coloum.

But as it's a D plate 1.9 leave it orginal or you will de-value it by at least 3/4

Richie

Agreed, keep it phase 1. I genuinely think standard phase 1's will start commanding good money eventually. Which is why i have one.

pugpete1108

i have fitted a ph2 into my 87' plate :ph34r:

i'm not a pureist and think the ph2 looks so much better, and given i dont own the car for what it will be worth when i sell it you have my vote to change it :rolleyes:

its not too hard as long as your methodical and dont forget the three bilts under the cowling behind the wipers (i did forget and snapped all sorts of bits).

i also had the change the plugs for the fog/hazard switch which was a pain in the arse, iirc the heater controls are pretty easy to do.

stufarri

Welcome to the site - I'd keep it Ph1 - more retro.

Having said that, I'll be the 1st to scavenge if you have the lower trim part around the golvebox and over the centre console free!

happygoron

I agree with the people calling to keep it original, however as stus post above shows, finding decent p1 dash parts seems to be getting pretty hard now!

pugpete1108
I agree with the people calling to keep it original, however as stus post above shows, finding decent p1 dash parts seems to be getting pretty hard now!

i wish i had known when i did mine as it all went in the skip :lol::D

Guest darcy

thanks for the replys guys. well the lower dash/glovebox is missing and its never going to be original as its got a 2.0 8v turbo half fitted. i bought it as an unfinished project. well if the missing parts turn up before a later dash ill stick with the retro. must admit the early half leathers are growing on me

cheers

supersub14

id say def change it to phase 2. Phase 1 interior does nothing for me at all. Just my 2 cents lol :lol:

stufarri
i wish i had known when i did mine as it all went in the skip :ph34r::ph34r:

:lol:B):lol:

Bugger!

Guest darcy

my mate has offered me an f reg 1.6 shell still with dash, only missing heater controls. All the loom is there. If i get the shell off his drive its free. His dad is givin him a hard time about it being sat there on a pallet lol. Take it this will be a ph 1.5? Apart from the dials, is there any difference with the base models dash boards? Think ill hang on to the original dash too just incase. Thanks for the input :D

petert

I'm currently in the process of saving an '88 that had severe cancer, which is really rare for an Australian car. I've discarded all the Ph1 interior and looms, replacing all from a severely hail damaged '92 car. My conscious is clear! The issue is I'd like to swap the door cards as well. So might have to swap the complete door(s).

The seam opened up at the arrow, which caused the driver's footwell/pedal area to fail. More alarmingly, moisture got under the body sealer in the wheel wells (circled).

post-2864-1264241283_thumb.jpg

DamirGTI
severe cancer

Looks a bit like mine :ph34r: although i've had much more severe rot ;) holes to be precise ..

Care to share some more pics of this project Peter ? :)

Damir B)

steve@cornwall
I'm currently in the process of saving an '88 that had severe cancer, which is really rare for an Australian car. I've discarded all the Ph1 interior and looms, replacing all from a severely hail damaged '92 car. My conscious is clear! The issue is I'd like to swap the door cards as well. So might have to swap the complete door(s).

The seam opened up at the arrow, which caused the driver's footwell/pedal area to fail. More alarmingly, moisture got under the body sealer in the wheel wells (circled).

door cards should swap straight over after swapping lock pins, other than that the only thing missing is a hole for a fixing at the top front edge of the card (blob of silicone will suffice if you don't want to drill!) If you want Ph2 mirrors on Ph1 doors you will probably need to make up some mounting plates to fit them securely.

petert
Care to share some more pics of this project Peter ? :)

Once I've finished the floor and starting to paint I'll post more pics.