• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Atari Boy

Improving Air Flow Into Engine.

Atari Boy

In the next two weeks or so I will be finish moving the battery to the boot of my 205 giving me more space in the engine bay.

IMG_0004.jpgIMG_0005.jpg

As you can see from the photo the K & N air filter is currently wedged right in the corner of the bay which can’t be ideal.

With the extra space with the battery removed is there something I can do to improve the cold air feed?

These are a couple of the ideas that spring to mind:

1. Re-angle in the cone filter to more uncluttered area of the engine bay – only real choice is where the battery was.

2. Fit a better (and larger) induction kit

3. Use some ducting to feed more cold air to the filter and keep it positioned where it is

4. Use a combination of the above

What are the BMC air boxes like, such as THIS, which is on eBay.

Advice, comment and direction welcome.

Many thanks

Tom Fenton

5. Leave it where it is and remove the headlamp for trackdays?

Carl Chambers

I know many have the headlight out or a modified one for trackdays but I dont like the way it looks, I know that doesnt mater and that just my opinion!

I would get the BMC, would look much better and fill up the big hole thats going to be left when the battery goes.

here is a cheaper BMC;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMC-CDA-70-130_W0QQi...=item45f08120be

MORE HERE;

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trk...-All-Categories

Edited by GKZ 206

Atari Boy

You might be right Carl but I like the headlamp idea. I may as well try it first - could you dig me one out for Tuesday.

MrG

I would agree in that the cars running with no headlight look a little...er...naff (my opinion only though!). There must be another method of getting air to the filter by a method that Carl mentions.

Baz

6. Put a bigger/different throttle body on.

That is effectively the limit of what air enters the engine. :huh:

Edited by Baz

EdCherry

Do anything you feel is worth doing, and cheap. Dont go expecting huge gains or masses amount of difference, and I certainly wouldn't chuck aload of money at it, unless you really have to.

Edited by EdCherry

sport1901966

Bonnet scoop :)

zebedy101

I used to run one of those bmc air filters on my old Rover VVC, engine it sounded wicked, made the engine bay look very tidy and it did feel a tad bit more pokey in the mid range may just have been the noise it made though.

Tom Fenton
Dont go expecting huge gains or masses amount of difference, and I certainly wouldn't chuck aload of money at it

Jackpot. Nail on head. Bingo.

Atari Boy
Jackpot. Nail on head. Bingo.

Don't worry, I'm not, hence the headlight route.

I think that if I use a 'blank' headlight then it won't look quite so gabrielle like.

Watch this space .....

Carl Chambers
Don't worry, I'm not, hence the headlight route.

I think that if I use a 'blank' headlight then it won't look quite so gabrielle like.

Watch this space .....

Have seen a few people take the glass off both headlights, at least then it does match. Mine is fed direct cold air straight from the grille and the n/s fog light hole, were I have rallye vents instead of lights.

engine killer

Work on the slam panel or route some ducting from the grill behind the number plate.

You may take a look at what I have done previously as reference. You only have a little room (from right of the the car to the filter) to play with, but I think you can still feed the cold air (when the car is in motion) to the filter side.

post-4860-1263894120_thumb.jpg

Paul_13

Quite neat that ^

MrG

impressive that, I'm looking at similar things to feed cold air to my carbs.

engine killer

this should be better i guess

post-4860-1263910172_thumb.jpg

mr_exe

Here my effort, well the mk1 version, the Mk2 will have more holes in it. I got a glazier to drill holes in the headlight glass, then circumcised the tumbledrier extraction hose for the feed pipe, then cut of the back of the headlight, but was able to leave the sidelight bulb.

205Headlight001.jpg

205Headlight002.jpg

The proper headlight lives in the boot and it only takes a few mins to put the headlight in if needed

Paul_13

Thats brilliant! ^

GLPoomobile

+1

I like that a lot :rolleyes:

engine killer

great idea and looks quite original.

Baz

Ingenius!!

You don't want the air 'rammed' directly to carbs like bodies though, they don't like it!

petert

This is what I did for a recent client. I folded/tigged up a new aluminium entry duct which turns air towards the battery. A second piece, tigged to round tube joining air filter to Mi16 rubber, creates a box. The battery is one side of the air box. Works beautifully. The air filter is K&N, offset 10 deg.

post-2864-1263968902_thumb.jpg

Atari Boy

Thanks for the input chaps, some great ideas too.

I have been thinking since I started this thread and am now thinking about making something out of fibreglass that I can interchange with a working headlamp.

I am looking into the idea of making a cross between this

ducts.jpg

and this.

fibreglassheadlamp.jpg

It won’t include the indicator but hopefully it should look quite neat and not too much of an eye saw yet still be worthwhile on track days.

My question is this really, is there such a thing as too much cold air for an air filter or is it a case of the more the merrier?

Thanks

Jonny

DrSarty

I'd say a point here ^^, is not necessarily the channelling of air into the filter/carbs/ITBs, but the shielding of engine bay heat from entering the inlet tract.

petert
I'd say a point here ^^, is not necessarily the channelling of air into the filter/carbs/ITBs, but the shielding of engine bay heat from entering the inlet tract.

That's right Rich. The setup I did was more of a shield than a duct. Once the engine is going, it has no problem drawing in cold air from where ever the source. The main thing is to stop the hot radiator air polluting the inlet air.