• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
humanz

Adjusting The Bonnet Height

humanz

Ok, I find that the front edge of my bonnet is too high. I've tried turning the black rubber standoffs to adjust the front height, but I can't turn them anymore, and the bonnet is still too high at the front. Is there another adjustment I can make? It's too tall next to the wings by about half a centimeter. The back of the bonnet seems like the right height however. This would be a standard non-auto bonnet.

pugpete1108

is the spring on the catch not adjustable? its got a thread and a big nut on it so i guess so? dunno if this will change the height or not

unless its rusted solid like mine

kilauea

Mine was when I put it back on - I had to adjust at the back (the two bolts through the hinges) to get it to sit right again.

grandos

Definately through the bonnet catch, just adjust the height of the screw in adjuster then lock off with the big nut.

Note: Could be rusted so badly this may not be an option. From memory the unit wasn't extortionate from the dealer new, when I replaced mine.

humanz
Definately through the bonnet catch, just adjust the height of the screw in adjuster then lock off with the big nut.

Are you and the others talking about the big spring hanging from the front of the bonnet? I can't remember any nut in it, but I'll check in the morning and see what's what. Sounds like a promising solution.

pugpete1108
Are you and the others talking about the big spring hanging from the front of the bonnet? I can't remember any nut in it, but I'll check in the morning and see what's what. Sounds like a promising solution.

that will be the one ;) from what i can remember the spring sits in the nut (fair sized one) and you wind the nut up/down the rod which is part threaded.

humanz

I was able to adjust the length of the spring by winding it on the rod/screw. Don't think it made much of a difference. Will have a go at the hinges at the back of the bonnet a bit later or tomorrow.

kilauea
I was able to adjust the length of the spring by winding it on the rod/screw. Don't think it made much of a difference. Will have a go at the hinges at the back of the bonnet a bit later or tomorrow.

I found because they weren't aligned properly at the back, the angle it was held at was wrong which resulted in it sitting proud of the wings towards the front. The back looked fine.

one-lady-owner

Mine was the same, use a big adjustable to slacken off the large nut, then using a large flat screwdriver screw the whole catch in, when its in tighten the nut up again, if it's just the front that's high that'll be the cause!! If it doesn't seem to have done much then screw it in a load more! Worst case you'll end up (I did!!) screwed in so far you won't be able to close the bonnet properly, in which case wind it back out a bit!!

dobboy

Anyone done this recently?

• Like 1