• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
allye

Bucket Seat Guide For A Dummy Please!

allye

I am looking into to getting some bucket seats in my rallye and taking out the back seats and some of the interior. However, I must confess i know nothing about bucket seats, harnesses, mounting points, sub frames etc etc etc!

I would like the smaller bucket seats like these (I will prob be bidding!)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Now,

1.)do i need new sub frames? can i mount them on 205 rails?

2.)Where do I mount the harnesess anchors?

3.)I won't be tracking it or anything just fast road, which harnesses? 3point for practicality?

Please help! I have no idea.

Thanks a lot, Ali

(also anyone got any similar buckets going cheap drop me a PM!)

Atari Boy

Talking from my experience, I would go for side-mounted seats as one will sit lower, you will probably need to get to something fabricated to join the rails to the seat mounts. Depending how tall you are you may also need to consider lowering the floor otherwise you may site too high.

It is also worth checking the quality of the original seat mounting points, as I understand that they can be a weak point.

I use three point harness which I know some here are not happy with and recommend four plus harness points.

I drilled a hole just behind the handbrake for the central harness mounting point, which I reinforced underneath, I use this for both driver and passenger central harness point. I use the original threaded seatbelt hole by the sills for the side mounting points and the buckle points of the rear seatbelts for the straps going to the rear.

I am by no means an expert on seats and harness and am only talking from my experiences not vast lumps of knowledge.

One this that is worth thinking about is that if you can try of the bucket seats out before you buy them, they can be quite uncomfortable and my metal from seats (vs. moulded shells) is comfortable for about an hour or so and I have a fair bit of ‘padding’.

Good luck

allye

I'm 6'5'! I don't have time to get things fabricated to lower them as I'm moving to North Wales on the 24th and was hoping to get them done by then, if I get sub frames will that not lower them at all?

andyjstone

Pretty much as Jonny says you need the seats plus the brackets to mount them (you can't use the existing 205 rails) and these are available either so they bolt on the bottom or on the side of the seat - most people prefer side mount as they are easier to fit and the seat sits lower. You might also want slides for the seats if you need to accommodate different drivers, but you should bear in mind this will raise the height of the seat so bolting them permanently in place is better.

You could mount the seats on the existing points, but often these don't line up and they aren't very strong at the best of times so best is to get something welded in, I have a couple of tubes welded across the car from sill to sill.

As far the harnesses go if you are using it for road you need to check they are suitable for road use as some are only good for track. 4 point are best and you really want to go for a 3" wide strap so they don't dig in. You can use some of the existing belt mounting points and them weld in or bolt on eye bolts where you need extras.

andyjstone
I'm 6'5'! I don't have time to get things fabricated to lower them as I'm moving to North Wales on the 24th and was hoping to get them done by then, if I get sub frames will that not lower them at all?

It's not a question of 'if', you will need sub frames as you call them, although most bucket seats just come with a bracket that fits on either side. You can't lower them down more than the mounting points, but you shouldn't need to.

Atari Boy

I am 6'1 and have Cobra Monaco Pro’s, which are not that different to the one on eBay you are looking at I think.

I use mine for the track so needed helmet head room but I am pretty sure you will struggle being 6’5 unless you lower the floor and lose the runners. There are few threads on here already about it, from memory, 'Engine Killer' has posted some good photos that will help.

andyjstone

I just realised you typed 6'5", for some reason my mind read that as 6'1", it's been a long day!

I agree, you will almost certainly need to do something clever, how do you fit in to the original seats as IMO fitting the buckets won't increase the height at all, even using the standard mounts, but someone may correct me.

allye

I fit in suprisingly ok actually, i have to thread my legs around a little but other wise very comfy, so fitting buckets may not increase seat hieght? as its not an issure at the moment.

Could I fit something like these with minimal welding? then the bucket would bolt into the side of that?

Thanks, you guys have been very helpful! What have you donw about hand brakes if you have 2 bars going from sill to sill?

Ali

Edited by allye

Atari Boy

Look at these two threads, pictures will be clearer.

thread 1

thread 2

Edited by Atari Boy

andyjstone
What have you donw about hand brakes if you have 2 bars going from sill to sill?

The front tube goes right across in front of the handbrake, at the rear there is a tube either side going from the tunnel to the sill (Miles on this forum sorted this out for me).

allye

Oh jeez, this maybe a job for a later date, I'm not going to get that done by the end of the month! o well thanks for the help. I'll do that when i put the GTI-6 engine in at some point in the next decade!

andyjstone
Oh jeez, this maybe a job for a later date, I'm not going to get that done by the end of the month! o well thanks for the help. I'll do that when i put the GTI-6 engine in at some point in the next decade!

I put the GTI6 in first (at least Miles did) then realised I better have something better to hold me in place :unsure:

Edited by andyjstone

GilesW

I would strongly advise you only by bucket seats which you have sat in.

Therefore wait and try and sit in every car you see with a seat in and find what is comfortable with you, then buy similar, or at least check manufacturers website for seat information and compare to those you have tried.

I know this sounds like a pain, but really 'most' bucket seats are designed for the type of person who can shop at next - ie 28 to 32 inch waist and between 5'8 and 6'0.

I'm 6'0 but 36/38inch waist (yeah yeah lazy fat git). Therefore only about a third of seats I can sit in comfortably for long journeys and of those only a few I have been happy with in regard height of backs, sides etc.

IMHO seats are a very personal thing and so trying them out is the best way.

Oh - and I've also never been a fan of steal frames. Composite all the way, but you'll need probably £200 plus for a second hand set worth having.

EdCherry

Second what Giles says, find a seat you like.

Autosport next week, will have lots of products to try. Merlin has a room with a load of the seat they sell in for you to try as well.

andyjstone
I would strongly advise you only by bucket seats which you have sat in.

People told me that when I bought mine and I didn't find that at all. I'm 5'10" and waist is 34/36" on a good day and I religiously went round and tried various seats and couldn't really find that much difference between them, they all seemed about the same and I ended up going with the Sparco Sprint 5 seats, which were about the cheapest, but I've been very happy with.

I suppose it depends on how fussy you are or the size/shape of your arse (no offense), who know...

Atari Boy
I suppose it depends on how fussy you are or the size/shape of your arse (no offense), who know...

:unsure: Does my bum look big in this seat?

GilesW

There is a reason that the likes of sparco have so many seats with slightly different dimensions in all the various places - and that is because when you've sat in a seat that fits you properly everywhere you WILL be able to tell the differance between seats.

Also my personal findings are that steel framed seats are generally a more forgiving fit, whereas the composite seats, especially with their minimal side padding, are a lot more of a tailored fit.

But as said it's a personal thing, and my posts just represent what I would suggest and my opinions.

allye

Well I'm 6'5' and a 34inch waist so sounds like I would need to try a few before fitting! Thanks a lot for all your help.

Ali

rallysteve

Seats can be a big problem for taller people. I found this when looking for mine. You really need to make sure the harness holes in the back are the right height. Most are below my shoulders by a couple of inches (im 6'6") also my fat arse means i needed extra wide ones. Only a few i can get in unfortunately!

Steve

pugpete1108

picked up my seat runners today, just happened to be from a convertible which had the hood down all through the snow(at least a foot of snow inside the car)

luckily when i brought the seats they came with 3mm steel plates drilled to fit the 205.

all i did was dismantle the tilt mech and bolt the runners direct to the plate, these will then be bolted to the original seat mounting points in the 205.

DSCF0859.jpg

DSCF0860.jpg

height wise i think they should be ok as when i had them mounted direct to the mounts using the plate (no runners) they were a little low and the inch the sliders added was ideal.

just hoping they will be strong enough in the event of an accident?

allye

How tall are you though!? I'm 6'5', which is nice most of the time and I fit nice in the standard seats, as far back they will go! But still am very comfy driving the Rallye. Just need more support!

pugpete1108

about 5'9 ish and still plenty of headroom left, as i just fitted them in the car this morning.

i think the way i have mounted them is about as low as your gonna get it using std mounts and runners.

otherwise your gonna have to do as said above and lower the mounting points and fit side mounts on the seats