• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Colin45

1.9 Gti Tickover

Guest Colin45

Hi Guys,

My First post.

I have recently bought a 1.9 GTi 1991 and the tickover is very poor, when cold it starts but won't tickover, then tickovers high but when warm it keeps dropping and stalling.

It does have a piper cam and K&N57i which the previous owner blamed it on.

Any ideas.

Thanks Colin

Anthony

Very common issue, and certainly one that has been discussed countless times on here - you should find plenty of info if you do a search.

shed_racing

If it's any help, I did a mini service when I first got mine and that helped quite a lot, but like the man says, search for "idle" or "stalling" and you'll get plenty of info.

(PS - remember to search under previous years postings, too - like 2006, 2007 - something I omitted to do the last time I searched; there was a whole heap of stuff in 2007 on "starter motor" that I had missed completely !)

Guest Colin45
If it's any help, I did a mini service when I first got mine and that helped quite a lot, but like the man says, search for "idle" or "stalling" and you'll get plenty of info.

(PS - remember to search under previous years postings, too - like 2006, 2007 - something I omitted to do the last time I searched; there was a whole heap of stuff in 2007 on "starter motor" that I had missed completely !)

Hello again,

Looked further at this, theres some sort of sensor at the rear of the engine that has 3 wires coming out of it that has been cut off and I haven't a clue where they connect to. The sensor is held in place by a clamp with a 8mm bolt. There is a sheath to the wires that is foil lined, the sensor is abour 6cm long and about 15mm wide and inserts into the block.

Does anyone know what this is called and does it have a block connector on the end which plugs into another??

Also, noticed white sludge in the oil filler, i expect the head gaskets now gone.

Thanks Colin

Anthony
Looked further at this, theres some sort of sensor at the rear of the engine that has 3 wires coming out of it that has been cut off and I haven't a clue where they connect to. The sensor is held in place by a clamp with a 8mm bolt. There is a sheath to the wires that is foil lined, the sensor is abour 6cm long and about 15mm wide and inserts into the block.

Does anyone know what this is called and does it have a block connector on the end which plugs into another??

Assuming you mean the one that's near the flywheel, I wouldn't worry too much about that - the sensor was only used by the Peugeot diagnostic machine for setting ignition timing, and chances are all those machines have long since vanished. I remove it on any engines that I install, assuming it's still there (most aren't, or are damaged like yours)

It will not in anyway affect the running of the car.

Also, noticed white sludge in the oil filler, i expect the head gaskets now gone.

A common issue on the XU engines in cold weather, and not indicative of head gasket failure. Again, a search will reveal plenty.

Sign in to follow this