• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
SweetBadger

Just Been Rear Ended...

SweetBadger

On the way home from work, usual route and the roads were surprisingly good.

Looks like the gritters really have been doing the trick... Until I turned onto a quite heavily used road that was sheet black ice. A ambulance was blocking my side of the road and struggling to pull away so I stopped to give it time to pull off. After being there for about a minute a silver BMW comes up behind me can't stop and slams straight into the back of me. :blush:

Gutted, it's smashed the valance, rear lights, put a big flat in the boot and the boot floor has been slightly bent up to where the spare wheel bolt is.

We exchanged details and when I tried to mention fault, the guy who ran into me said, well it's up to the insurance companies; you've got your story and I've got mine! :lol:

I can't see how he'd claim that it was my fault, as it's obvious that he's run up the back of me... No witnesses, so we'll see what comes of it.

Am guessing it'll be classed as a write off, but it still drives fine so hopefully I can get it back to haw it was fairly easily.

lemmingzappa
:blush: people drive way too fast for the road conditions round here

eldoro

hopefully you took pictures of the cars befour you moved them, cuz thats your proof and a picture of his tire tracks.

Tom Fenton

Bugger. In fairness to him, most insurance companies do tell you not to admit liability at the scene of the accident these days. But hopefully as you were stationary and he ran into you, there isn't much that can be said is your fault.

harryskid

Surely if you were already stopped than the dope in the BMW is at fault. Sorry about your car you might find its not so bad as you think. I suppose the German tank was ok. Any way if he drives one of them he should be able to afford insurance.

Good luck with it and look on the bright side and also you must have some witness around.

harryskid

one-lady-owner

generally speaking any accident that involves one car going into the back of another, the car behind is at fault, in my experience insurance companies don't even question whose fault it is in shunts like that!

harryskid

O i just reread you had no witness but what about the ambulance guys?

zebedy101

Shame to hear about the car these icy roads are just so dangerous. If he tries to be sneeky then make sure you file a wiplash claim aswell

Tom Fenton

What do you know, you posted a notice on a nearby lamp post this evening and lo and behold a mere stranger unrelated to you (who might happen to be your cousin/workmate/girlfriends mate etc etc) just so happened to be walking down the road and saw it all happen....

scottish_lion

Like Tom Fenton's idea there...

It's ridiculous what you seem to have to do just to get justice these days.

As for BMW driver, what a cock, people just can't cope with this weather, it's not bloody rocket science. I've made it around in a bloody mr2 so there's no excuse!

Gutted for you, I hope it works out with your 205 getting back on the road!

Leo

mr_exe

Sorry to hear about what happened. Maybe you can ask the other parties insurance company for a sum of money and your car back and get it repaired?

SweetBadger

Took a couple of pictures but only had my phone so they're not great quality...

I really wouldn't be surprised if some star witness turns up on his side but don't want to speculate, just going to wait and see what the insurers say...

There were people around who saw it but it was all a bit chaotic, police van turned up moments after the accident (typical) to deal with an unrelated incident, at which point a few locals started having a go at them about the state of the road. Police didn't give a crap about the accident and proceded to block the road off, I didn't really have chance to ask anyone if the saw the whole thing.

I've got protected no claims, so it's not the end of the world if he won't admit liability and gets away with it, but I'm a bit pissed off he didn't just hold his hands up - it was so obvious that he was at fault...

Anyway, from what I can see, the damage is cosmetic and the car drives fine but HIC close their claim lines at 5:30 so I haven't been able to inform them about the accident. I need the car tomorrow and at the weekend - I'm assuming it's ok to keep driving it before they get it to an assesor?

Baz

:( What a sh!tter, rotten luck and just what you need in this crappy weather too... :)

I like the witness idea. Pretty sure you'll be ok to keep using it, i did. Just get lots of pictures of the damage in the light. (Make the car nice and clean etc too, aids your claim hopefully from a value POV.)

Shame to hear about the car these icy roads are just so dangerous. If he tries to be sneeky then make sure you file a wiplash claim aswell

And help everone's policy prices rise... ?

Not that that would affect him anyway!

Edited by Baz

richsmells

Arse, sorry to read that :( You were obviously not at fault, but if your insurer doesn't fight your corner give Europa Consultants a ring. They're sorting mine out at the moment and doing a great job, keeping me informed the whole way. The other party has gone completely AWOL so it's dragging out, but hopefully his insurer will pay up without prejudice.

Best of luck :)

Edited by richsmells

SweetBadger
Arse, sorry to read that :( You were obviously not at fault, but if your insurer doesn't fight your corner give Europa Consultants a ring. They're sorting mine out at the moment and doing a great job, keeping me informed the whole way. The other party has gone completely AWOL so it's dragging out, but hopefully his insurer will pay up without prejudice.

Best of luck :)

Cheers for the info Rich, will bear them in mind if it starts to go pear shaped, early days yet though. Didn't realise but the advice from your insurer is never admit liability even if it is blatently your fault, so he could have just been playing it safe... Anyway hope you get it sorted, surely can't look too good on the other party if he's gone AWOL...

Baz totally agree, I've got a bit of lower back ache but I'm sure it'll clear up by the morning and I'm not about to go looking for a payout for whiplash; the whole claim culture gets right on my tits!

kyepan

if the damage is in your rear and his front, it will go your way, really don't worry about it. Just make sure when the insurance assessor comes round it's gleaming, as he will judge your car's value on the basis of what he sees. You should also get some adverts for similar quality cars to help you get the most money for it when it's written off. then buy it back from the insurer as scrap and brake it for the decent parts, you may well double your money. you would not believe the odd things that sell for decent money (like heater fan resistors)

Hope this helps.

J

SweetBadger
if the damage is in your rear and his front, it will go your way, really don't worry about it. Just make sure when the insurance assessor comes round it's gleaming, as he will judge your car's value on the basis of what he sees. You should also get some adverts for similar quality cars to help you get the most money for it when it's written off. then buy it back from the insurer as scrap and brake it for the decent parts, you may well double your money. you would not believe the odd things that sell for decent money (like heater fan resistors)

Hope this helps.

J

Been meaning to give it a good clean anyway :) , I'll definately be printing some Just Gtis adverts off!

If they write it off I'll definetely buy it back, but it'll be hard for me to break it for parts after the blood sweat and tears that have gone into it over the last few years... Also I'm renting in London so have no garage so may have a logistical nightmare on my hands in a couple of weeks.

When a car is written off, how do you go about getting it certified legal for the road again? Is it just a case of getting it re-mot'd?

luggy
Anyway, from what I can see, the damage is cosmetic and the car drives fine but HIC close their claim lines at 5:30 so I haven't been able to inform them about the accident. I need the car tomorrow and at the weekend - I'm assuming it's ok to keep driving it before they get it to an assesor?

Really gutted for you,

Had a similar issue with my pug with got written off about 2 years ago happened on the day I was moving house, could have done without it that day. Smashed glass and bent rear bootlid, trashed rear bumper and bent boot floor, didnt look too bad.

Guy who went into me didnt want to go through insurance but I had to because I used the car for work and had to claim so I could get the courtesy car for a couple of weeks so I could sort myself out with new wheels.

Do not be in a hurry to get it resolved if the car is secure and roadworthy then time is on your side.

I was lucky the guy who shunted me admitted liability, I was informed that third party was insured though Aviva (Nu) and I didnt have to pay my excess. My insurance company (DL) was insistent that I took my car to an approved repairer, was then given a quote of 2k, and was recommeded to leave the car at their facility because the car was insecure due to broken glass, but I informed them that I secure parking. ;)

I had to go back a week later so the (DL) assessor could have a look at it.

I informed him I didnt want the car taken off the road and the car would be repaired using genuine Pug parts

He said It was a cat B write off and he'd give me £500, car was fine to drive to and from the approved repairer, slightly draughty tho.

At this point I was rather irate and drove home :)

Got a phone call from the 3rd party insurance saying that they'd admitted liability and that their assessor would be coming over to assess the car. Thought great, I'll be able to get her back on the road

How wrong was I :( , got a phone call 2 weeks later saying he wanted to come and see the car at my home address which he did then another a week later from him informing me that he'd checked the details of my car and it was now a cat B write off but he was willing to pay me £800 to settle the claim.

I took the money minus £25 for salvage, would have prefered to have kept it on the road, bought another 205 a month later :)

I was so fecking angry with myself and with my insurance company, paying money to be insured and they offer me less to settle than the 3rd party. f***ING c*ntS

Live and learn, first time I claimed on my insurance, the moral of my story is dont be in a hurry to get it resolved, log every phone call you make/receive ensuring you have the full name of the person your dealing with, dont leave your motor with an approved repairer unless absolutley necessary and agreements have been confirmed in black and white, let the 3rd party fecks come to your home to assess the damage and most of all dont get irate with insurance assessors :( It doesnt help

My apologies if this post is slighlty disjointed, havent been able to go to work today so have been working on the pug all day in the feckin snow and now Im tired and pissed! :D

kyepan
Been meaning to give it a good clean anyway :rolleyes: , I'll definately be printing some Just Gtis adverts off!

If they write it off I'll definetely buy it back, but it'll be hard for me to break it for parts after the blood sweat and tears that have gone into it over the last few years... Also I'm renting in London so have no garage so may have a logistical nightmare on my hands in a couple of weeks.

When a car is written off, how do you go about getting it certified legal for the road again? Is it just a case of getting it re-mot'd?

it depends if it's a cat d or c, cat d is uneconomic to repair,but may be very minor damage, just fix and put back on road. cat c means you may need to get it sva tested, or some other road worthyness test.

richsmells

In a way I was lucky that I was only TPFT and it was left up to me to store the car, I already had a replacement vehicle and I wasn't injured, so I haven't incurred any charges which would have to be claimed for. So i'm only going after the value of my vehicle from his insurer.

The guy who hit me didn't admit liability at the scene, but the Police were in attendance so I have proof the incident occurred. It wasn't totally clear cut as he hit the front passenger wing, changing lanes without indicating whilst I was braking hard to avoid. The officer in attendance did give him a telling off though, but because nobody was injured his assessment doesn't go down on record and is left to the insurers to decide.

Basically he hasn't responded to any correspondence from my insurer, Europa or his own insurance company. His insurer have sent a letter giving him 50 days to respond, after which, Europa will push for them to pay out without prejudice for the value on the engineer's report.

Hopefully, because yours was a "rear-ender", it should swing in your favour. If they start talking about shared liability and you're confident you were not at fault, give Europa a call.

Edited by richsmells

hexhamstu

Don't let them tell you what your car is worth. You know what it's worth and it is probably alot more than "what it says in the book". Ive been through this 3 times, the last time I told the assessor to find me 3 cars similar to mine that are either for sale right now on auto trader or piston heads or have sold on ebay, and I would take an average of the 3 prices, he thought he'd be able to find 3 cars instantly for his estimate of £300 so I waited on the phone to listen to him umm and aaah. He got excited at the first one he found for sale for £300 "ah here's one..................oh no wait it hasn't got an engine." After this I told him he could ring me back, he did the next day with a much more acceptable valuation.

Toddy
In a way I was lucky that I was only TPFT and it was left up to me to store the car, I already had a replacement vehicle and I wasn't injured, so I haven't incurred any charges which would have to be claimed for. So i'm only going after the value of my vehicle from his insurer.

The guy who hit me didn't admit liability at the scene, but the Police were in attendance so I have proof the incident occurred. It wasn't totally clear cut as he hit the front passenger wing, changing lanes without indicating whilst I was braking hard to avoid. The officer in attendance did give him a telling off though, but because nobody was injured his assessment doesn't go down on record and is left to the insurers to decide.

Basically he hasn't responded to any correspondence from my insurer, Europa or his own insurance company. His insurer have sent a letter giving him 50 days to respond, after which, Europa will push for them to pay out without prejudice for the value on the engineer's report.

Hopefully, because yours was a "rear-ender", it should swing in your favour. If they start talking about shared liability and you're confident you were not at fault, give Europa a call.

Sounds like Europa Consultants are doing a sterling job, is it Steve who is dealing with your claim?, what value has the engineer valued your car at?

richsmells

Yes, they're really good. Thanks for pointing me in their direction. I was offered almost £1k straight off. A girl called Sam is managing my claim. She literally left a message on the guy's mobile every day asking him to get in touch.

Edited by richsmells

ALEX

If you don't want it writing off get some quotes to get it fixed while your waiting for an assesor to inspect it.

Insurance approved garages charge double what you could get it fixed for and don't always do a decent job either.

If your insured by Esure (or one of their sister company's, Sainsburys one of them) they're tight as a gnats chuff when paying out.. You might as well phone we buy any car dot com!

When they ask what you think your car's worth double the figure you were thinking for them to offer you something half reasonable.

Be prepared to be offended though.

mr_exe

If they do write it off stick at them for a decent payout. When our first GTi, a 1989 1.6 with the Mi16 was written off Equity Red Star offered me £110! Then they told me I could'nt have it back as the assessor said it was a Cat B, to which I pointed out to them its till my car and if you take it away I will report it as stolen. To make a long story into a short one after a bit of solicitor action I accepted £1200 and I got to keep the remains of the car.