• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Wrighty_1988

Possible To Turbo 1.4 Xs?

Wrighty_1988

Hey, just a quick question. Is it possible to turbo an XS engine, can remember reading somewhere about using a r5GTT carb and the likes. Ive tried searching on the forum but the search isnt the best and it doesnt like when you type XS :lol:. Thanks alot :lol:

welshpug

you can turbo anything, even your lawnmower :lol:

one-lady-owner

There was one for sale a while ago, not on here but they had used a R5 crab and turbo, two head gaskets and had very neatly installed a turbo boost pressure gauge behind the right air vent, the guy was using it daily, looked very nice!

So basically yes and as far as I've seen relatively easy to do!

Edited by one-lady-owner

allye

You can get the power from other things without the possibility of blowing your engine often. I think others will agree other modification to the good the xs engine will see the power increase with more reliability and much better power delivery. You can extraxt a lot of power out of the TU3 engines quite easily.

Cheers, Ali

Wrighty_1988

I did actually see that XS, infact it was the one that got me thinking of doing it. Ive got a project car XS that i was going to Mi16 with carbs. The XS engine in it at the moment is a bit of a dog, but if i were to give it a full (DIY) rebuild and look into a turbo what kind of power would i be looking at ?. Thanks for your help :lol:

Tom Fenton

How long is a piece of string? Depending on the turbo used, the rest of the build, you could probably manage about anything from 60 to 260bhp. For example, my 205 1600 8v turbo makes 195bhp. A 1300 16v mini engine I'm involved with makes 220bhp.

unariciflocos
you can turbo anything, even your lawnmower :)

I read on here not long ago that two strokes don't respond to turbo charging :).

You'll probably be better off going the Mi route from a power/cost perspective.

jonnygoodhand

Spoox were selling one on eBay a couple of years ago, though the listing is no longer available, there is this thread.

You can extraxt a lot of power out of the TU3 engines quite easily.

I'm not sure how true that really is. It can certainly work out quite expensive if you go chasing figures, but are determined to stick with the TU3. :)

stu_woac

can be done but for te power out versus cost its just to costly been disscussed many times in the pass so search the old threads

http://www.dp-engineering.nl/ these guys got a xs running very well on a turbo 4- 5 yrs ago before the decided to go for the 1.6 16v lump as the 1.4 kept dentornating and damaging the pistons

http://www.dp-engineering.nl/inc/photo.php...twinturbo_2.jpg

this is them trying a twin turbo setup on a 1.4 lump

and adding a super charger for some reason mad lol

Edited by stu_woac

Henry Yorke
http://www.dp-engineering.nl/inc/photo.php...twinturbo_2.jpg

this is them trying a twin turbo setup on a 1.4 lump

and adding a super charger for some reason mad lol

Don't get M@tt started on yet another project!

To turbo an XS reliably, you really need an aftermarket / more modern ECU to get decent power. 1.6 VTR engine with a supercharger seems the most cost effective way of staying TU.

Wrighty_1988
Don't get M@tt started on yet another project!

To turbo an XS reliably, you really need an aftermarket / more modern ECU to get decent power. 1.6 VTR engine with a supercharger seems the most cost effective way of staying TU.

Im not bothered about staying TU, its just because a had one of the engine alreadyn in the engine bay lol. Ive planned to mi16 the XS, i know its a bitm more work but im okay with paying a bit extra for parts and spending more time changing the subframe and thing over :lol:

ilovemypug

how about a set of bike carbs and a turbo :) and then run lpg (higher compression ration)

bales
how about a set of bike carbs and a turbo :) and then run lpg (higher compression ration)

Would bike carbs work under boost, I was always under impression that you had to have a special type of sealed carb that works on blow rather than suck....

Surely a venturi won't work with a positive pressure?

swordfish210

Carbs and turbos are genrally a bad idea. It was s*it when BL used it in the 80's and it was s*it when Renault used it in the 80's. Why do you think most R5 turbo owners convert their cars to injection.You get some people banging on about it "oh, it's ok if you run less boost and it's quite cheap" but so the f*** what. Whats the point in having a turbo if you can only run low boost because the lack of a working knock sensor wont allow and decent pressure and it's only cheap to run on carbs until the engine blows.

Dont be a pikie.....use fuel injection.

ilovemypug

get a book on turbos and superchargers

old school book

turbochargers by Maciness

Guest neilrocks

Hey guys,

I know, I know, I'm new so you can shoot me down if like but, why has there been little consideration for a pull/suck through setup for the TU running a carb.

My intention of turbo charging a 1.4 TU is pretty much the same but, with research it seems the simplest way is to mount the carb before the turbo on the intake side and let the turbo "suck" the air through the carb (therefore letting the carb/venturi regulate the air/fuel). Other than that, running 5-8 psi all I would do would be to space the head slightly to bring the compression down a bit. Maybe need a better fuel pump and regulator. Also though it is HIGHLY necessary to get your turbo rebuilt using "carbon seals" if going for suck though; on throttle lift-off vacuum can be created and draw oil through the standard turbo seals. You could try to find a turbo already with carbon seals factory installed, there are a few applications but, good luck! If your turbo needs rebuilding anyway, it's no more expensive to have the carbon seals fitted instead of the standard.

Trying to setup & regulate a push through carb would get far too involved & expensive if it wasn't meant for it.

I've got most my influence from flat 4 VW's. Spent a lot of time at bugjam over many years and having seen a 1970's flat 4 running a monster suck through turbo and 13sec 1/4 mile, I know it's not that hard to do.

So anyway, the fuel economy is a lot worse for a suck through but, why do you wanna do this in the first place, right?

I hope I haven't shot myself in the foot with my first post. I'll try to keep an update of how my TU Turbo project goes.

Tom Fenton

The main reason for not running a suck through turbo carb set up, is that it means you cannot use an intercooler, and so you are losing out on effectively free power, not to mention poor economy due to the fuel dropping out onto manifold and runner walls.

On an engine with an 8 port cylinder head there really is no reason not to spend a bit more time and effort and run it on injection really.

However if you must use a carb, then blow through is the way to go really.

cammmy

Sorry to dredge this up, but I just joined. ^Correct, you cannot use an intercooler with this (well, you can but it would be very dangerous). There is another option though:

http://www.fefcholden.org.au/techinfo/supercharge/norman6.html

This is mainly for superchargers but it should apply to turbo's too (maybe just need another non-return valve in there)

The system at present employed by me makes use of the supercharger manifold pressure and operates much like a paint spray gun with the atomized water directed into the throat of the carburetor. The spray or injector unit consists of two small nozzles. The water nozzle has an aperture of .050 diameter, and the air jet of .060. They are arranged at right angles so that the tip of the water nozzle slightly intersects the jet of air through the air nozzle. It must be kept as close as possible to the tip of the later so that the velocity of the air is as high as possible when it passes over the water nozzle.

This unit will cause quite a fine spray with pressures as low as 2 p.s.i. The water tank, usually of about two gallons capacity is mounted under the bonnet and as close to the injector unit as possible. It must be arranged so that the water level when the tank is full is about three inches below the tip of the water nozzle. This unit is very effective in operation and also economical of water since it will not operate at all unless there is a positive manifold pressure. With low manifold pressures there is some variation in delivery rate of water, as the level in the tank falls, but it is not very great and it is very slight with the higher manifold pressures which of course are primarily the problem.

With this system it is necessary to use a small non-return valve in the air delivery pipe from the pressure manifold, otherwise there would be an air leak into the manifold when the engine is idling.

When mounting the water tank, it is advisable to so locate it that the water level in its relationship to the water jet does not vary when the car is parked on a steep hill. For instance if the tank is put in the boot and the car is facing downhill the water would flow out of the water jet by gravity.

If twin carburetors are employed on the supercharger it is advisable to use two of the injector units otherwise some cylinders are likely to be more favored than others in respect of water droplets.

I'm about to begin building a 205gr for motorsport practice (in events that don't need a cage). This will be a minimum budget build and as I have a Garrett T25 in my garage, I figure this would be the perfect candidate for a backyard turbo conversion. The water injection system itself isn't complicated and will probably cost less to put together than a decent intercooler anyhow. In my case I don't care if the engine eventually blows up as I have rescued this car from the scrapper anyway.

omega

I'm about to begin building a 205gr for motorsport practice (in events that don't need a cage). This will be a minimum budget build and as I have a Garrett T25 in my garage, I figure this would be the perfect candidate for a backyard turbo conversion. The water injection system itself isn't complicated and will probably cost less to put together than a decent intercooler anyhow. In my case I don't care if the engine eventually blows up as I have rescued this car from the scrapper anyway.

hope you going to post a build thread about this.

calvinhorse

[quote

hope you going to post a build thread about this.

+1

VND

+ another 1.