• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
danny56712

Gsxr Throttle Bodies

unariciflocos

My attempt at GSXR throttle bodies, still work in progress:

IMG_20111103_172724.jpg

IMG_20111103_172658.jpg

Cost so far, under 100 quid, still have to pay for welding the flange onto the cut up intake manifold (refaced on a vertical mill at 30 degrees angle).

The bodies are held in the flange with the screws on the side and there is a small shoulder there just as they will meet the intake manifold. Will fill with chemical metal or some sort of silicone when they'll be mounted on the car.

Will run sequential staged injection with a VEMS ecu.

Opinions? Advice?

Edited by unariciflocos

welshpug

looks a tad short compared to the colin satchell items, do the bodies just get clamped on the flange by a grub screw?

have you a drawing of the flange? I'm looking to do something similar soon and dispose of the silicone joiners they currently use :)

unariciflocos

I know it's a bit short, i cut it too short in the days of the bike carbs, but I'm hoping to compensate with longer trumpets...

Yes, they are held in by grub screws.

I can send you the CAD drawings I used in the water jet cutter next week, but they'll only be any good if you cut your inlet at the exact length as mine as the distance between the inlet tracts varies.

rallyeash

longer trumpets and shorter inlet won't do no good for torque

unariciflocos

Is this because of the larger diameter of the trumpets or the position of the butterflies?

The throttle bodies are 42 mm ID at the manifold end (exactly as the manifold) and 50 mm ID at the trumpet end.

Edited by unariciflocos

welshpug

its to the butterflies, obviously it wont affect quite as much on WOT, but having the tract a bit big through the trumpet could have adverse effects, though being tapered may help, specifically though you'd need to speak to Sandy :)

Didn't realise the runners were not straight on the 16v inlets :unsure:

unariciflocos

It's the fact that Sandy uses GSXR throttle bodies that gave me the confidence to try and build my own system using them. It's just that I only have one more inlet manifold left and I don't want to hack it up unless I really need to. Having another one shipped from the UK would be quite costly and I'd prefer to avoid it.

On the other hand I was looking at the Jenvey inlet manifolds drawings on their site and they're not longer than this one.

Edited by unariciflocos

welshpug

The Jenvey inlet (and others of the same pattern...) was specifically one reason Colin and Sandy started making their own inlets!

As you have had the flange made you could draw up one for the head to save shipping a manifold.

Edited by welshpug

unariciflocos

I'll have to make do with what I have now as I'm completely broke at the moment and I think I'd have trouble finding aluminium pipe and bending it. (stupid US English auto-correct wanted to change this to aluminum :D )

The manifold will be welded today for the hefty sum of 20 quid and I just want to get the car back on the road as soon as possible. I'll get back with pics for those interested.

unariciflocos

DSC08828.JPG

DSC08829.JPG

Just refacing to correct the deformation from the welding and inside porting to be done, but I'll only do that after a trial fit in case I have to reface the manifold at an angle. Cost so far 110 quid including bike injectors(230cc), TPS, servomotor and loom. Mouth to mouth distance is 20 cm.

Edited by unariciflocos

Sign in to follow this