• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
danny56712

Gsxr Throttle Bodies

danny56712

hi lads do ye recommend gsxr throttle bodies 1000cc for an mi engine

Baz

Nope.

• Like 1

Miles

Ditto, Waste of time

I;ve taken 2 pairs off now for customers and fitted Jenvey's for re-libilty more than anything

hcmini1989
Ditto, Waste of time

I;ve taken 2 pairs off now for customers and fitted Jenvey's for re-libilty more than anything

why /how come .ive got gsxr750 ones on my mi there ok not had it rolling roaded or even driven it yet but cant see them being that bad .but my cars packed up at the minute just wont run so i might be wrong in saying there ok

allso if you go on the 205gti drivers site theres a member called dreamweaver have a look at his build diary .they have them fitted aswell .and they look awsome.wich gave me the insperation to fit mine

Edited by hcmini1989

Matt Holley

They can be made to work very well, I think the problem is many people mount them with rubber hoses and other dodgy bodges, this is a pic of a bike boddie set up Colin Satchell did, its on a fiesta and I would go for a set up like this as you can get an optimum inlet lengh etc, btw, the boddie set up pictured powered Jason to the Combe saloon car championship win.

Image011.jpg

Baz
allso if you go on the 205gti drivers site theres a member called dreamweaver have a look at his build diary .they have them fitted aswell .and they look awsome.wich gave me the insperation to fit mine

Yes, and now go and have a look at his (Dreamweaver) project thread, and you'll see what a ballache he had with them!! Plus, i believe Miles removed them for the new owner after Simon sold it, and fitted a standard inlet, it made more power like this, not to mention being more reliable with a smoother power delivery etc. :)

Baz
They can be made to work very well... *snip*

Indeed they can as above, but when you consider the price of those, (which no doubt is very good of course for the amount of work that's gone into them and the quality etc), or adversely the time, effort and ballache p!ssing about making them work yourself, then you may as well have gone and bought a set of Jenveys or similar, made to be perfect for the job, and will be forwardly adaptable for any other car, as well as servicable etc etc, straight off the shelf.

Just my opinion though, each to their own. :)

Galifrey

Most of the GSXR installs tend to be knocked up manifolds with dodgy mounts, if the install is done properly with a decent manifold, there is no reason why they won't be equally as reliable as Jenveys.

Colin Satchel is making some decent manifolds like the one pictured above, if you look at Dr Sarty's Evo II thread you can see the manifold he has made for his Triumph ITB's.

Expect to spend some time getting the throttles properly balanced, and of course use a decent engine management system which is properly mapped, but unless you tune the inlet length correctly, you will see a difference in how the engine performs, this is one of the key factors that people get wrong when fitting ITB's.

Jenveys are nout special, just a DCOE replacement, using a DCOE manifold, but they are a buy and bolt on solution, so most of the hard work is done for you.

There is a fair amount of negativity to Bike bodies on this forum, but some have got them working well.

danny56712
Most of the GSXR installs tend to be knocked up manifolds with dodgy mounts, if the install is done properly with a decent manifold, there is no reason why they won't be equally as reliable as Jenveys.

Colin Satchel is making some decent manifolds like the one pictured above, if you look at Dr Sarty's Evo II thread you can see the manifold he has made for his Triumph ITB's.

Expect to spend some time getting the throttles properly balanced, and of course use a decent engine management system which is properly mapped, but unless you tune the inlet length correctly, you will see a difference in how the engine performs, this is one of the key factors that people get wrong when fitting ITB's.

Jenveys are nout special, just a DCOE replacement, using a DCOE manifold, but they are a buy and bolt on solution, so most of the hard work is done for you.

There is a fair amount of negativity to Bike bodies on this forum, but some have got them working well.

bike carbs be better so ya

Baz

Potatoes cold not be hot?

Miles

As said I took Dreamweaver's old ones off, As Baz has said they where fitted on a chopped of inlet manifold with Silicone pipes and they either fell off or went out of balance and did odd things from one day to the next,

I;ve done a couple of Mi's with GTi6 inlets and very seem to work very well, The RR figures I won;t disclose as they are low but if you where to drive the car you would never think so and having driven them back to back they are spot on, I know the mapping helps allot as well.

I;ve never understood why people go for Bike Bodies and Mega...... as for me it's it all too much hassle, Mind I hate any carb's with a passion too :) as it's all too messy

But both set up well with a good inlet manifold, can be made to work well but you may as well then buy a tried and trusted off the shelf item

Galifrey
bike carbs be better so ya

Well Bikes continued to use carbs for years after cars had abandoned them for closed loop fuel injection (due to cats).

The R1 carbs in particular are superb when properly setup, but finding someone who can do that can e problematic.

As for bike throttle bodies, I cannot think of one area a Jenvey setup does better or more reliably than GSXR bodies, as essentially they are a throttle valve, heck with a decent machine shop you could make your own without too much of an issue, you could probably even make decent double roller throttle bodies like F1 cars use with enough skill.

The trick when using bike throttle bodies is getting them all balanced, after that they require the same mapping as any other body, and the performance will be in the hands of the ECU and the mapper.

Sadly many choose Bike TB's to save money, and they are often coupled with a sh*tty built megasquirt, badly mapped etc etc.

Sarty's 2.2 uses bike throttle bodies, a decent inlet, Emerald 3d Management mapped properly it gives great power and 35mpg economy is there anything else one would need?

Galifrey
As said I took Dreamweaver's old ones off, As Baz has said they where fitted on a chopped of inlet manifold with Silicone pipes and they either fell off or went out of balance and did odd things from one day to the next,

This simply wont work properly, they will be going off balance all the time, that is why I love the manifolds Colin builds.... they hard mount the bodies keeping them aligned and in tune, just like a DCOE manifold.

Anyway, I forsee developments in this area in the future, more manifolds becoming available at competitive prices..

:)

hcmini1989
Sadly many choose Bike TB's to save money, and they are often coupled with a sh*tty built megasquirt, badly mapped etc etc.

me :)

Galifrey
me :)

Is your megasquirt sh*tty? They aren't all, just a lot are :D

hcmini1989
Is your megasquirt sh*tty? They aren't all, just a lot are :lol:

nope got lumbered with a s*ite one .but luckily i got a good deal of james murray {top bloke} .and i allso found one of my bodies hanging off the other day :D

but hopefully ive put a stop to that .

i will hopefully in the future when im better paid invest in a decent manifold as said earlier the cut down mi manifold is crap and takes ages to get a decent ,level cut and all the tubes the same length

and im not really botherd about the power results just fancied doing it and its a good learning curve alot of stress though :)

Edited by hcmini1989

Cameron

Amen! This is what I don't get about the whole uber-budget modding world, people expect to be able to get the gains of a proper TB conversion and decent management for bare minimum money and effort. It just isn't realistic, if you want to do something on the cheap then you have to be prepared to put in a lot of effort to get it working right, and have the necessary skills to do so. That or you fork out for somebody to do the hard work for you i.e. a pre-designed bolt-on kit, proper management and good mapping.

Sadly so many people don't recognise just how true this is, and end up with a car off the road for months while they explore every potential cheap fix only to arrive at the realisation that they will have to pay someone to sort it out, so flog the car half-finished! :)

So yes, by all means try fitting bike throttle bodies! As Galifrey has been saying they are extremely well designed and will perform just as well as "proper" TB's. Just please please don't go taking our word for it and expect it to be a piece of piss, and be prepared for a bit of graft and head scratching. And don't bother with MS, save your time and money and go for Emerald or similar. :D

Galifrey

I shall be putting my money where my mouth is later in 2010.

After helping many mates get bike ITB's working on their cars, I shall be fitting them to mine. Was going to be Busa, but now likely to from a British bike... Probably with Emerald management, but we shall see.

I have personally used bike TB's before, but only on my BEC

:)

Cameron

I was thinking about going for bike bodies, but have decided to hold on 'til I can afford to do it properly and get some AT bodies. :)

sideways danny
I was thinking about going for bike bodies, but have decided to hold on 'til I can afford to do it properly and get some AT bodies. :)

Get Jenveys, seriously, AT aren't all that, and they cost more. Jenvey win on price and performance

This thread has restored my faith in this forum TBH, all i'd seen for ages in megasquirt and bike bodies. Glad there's some who still know the right way :D

sideways danny
The RR figures I won;t disclose as they are low but if you where to drive the car you would never think so and having driven them back to back they are spot on, I know the mapping helps allot as well.

I've also put together cars that "seem" to make low figures, but when put up against cars that claim big numbers, they wipe the floor with them.

There's also a lot of bad mappers out there, and sadly they get away with it as most punters dont really know when it's wrong, if it drives "ok". I've heard "that's just how they drive with ITBs" a few times recently, one car in particular didn't have the low RPM torque to get over a speedbump. Chose your mapper carefully, the bad far outweigh the good.

Sandy

The design of the set up and as above, the setting up are crucial. Colin and I have developed our bike bodies set ups now to the point where I only use Jenveys if the customer specifies them or there isn't a suitable set of bike bodies for the job. The ones we use are mostly Keihin, which is a Honda subsidiary and the quality reflects that. Hold them up and compare them with aftermarket TBs and you'll see how much better made the Keihins are. What you need to get it right, is careful attention to the details. Solid mounting them helps massively, as does sorting out the throttle cable ratio to suit a pedal and getting the overall tract size/shape right.

There are heaps of variations on the GSXR bodies, most of them are arguably too small for XUs.

Galifrey
The design of the set up and as above, the setting up are crucial. Colin and I have developed our bike bodies set ups now to the point where I only use Jenveys if the customer specifies them or there isn't a suitable set of bike bodies for the job. The ones we use are mostly Keihin, which is a Honda subsidiary and the quality reflects that. Hold them up and compare them with aftermarket TBs and you'll see how much better made the Keihins are. What you need to get it right, is careful attention to the details. Solid mounting them helps massively, as does sorting out the throttle cable ratio to suit a pedal and getting the overall tract size/shape right.

There are heaps of variations on the GSXR bodies, most of them are arguably too small for XUs.

Which Keihins are you using Sandy? (which Honda they from?)

Apologies for my mistake earlier where I said they were Triumph bodies :)

Edited by Galifrey

Cameron
Get Jenveys, seriously, AT aren't all that, and they cost more. Jenvey win on price and performance

The actual bodies may be slightly cheaper, but once you've added all the extras (throttle pot, linkage, injectors etc) they cost pretty much exactly the same as the AT ones.

Sign in to follow this