• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
cybernck

[non_car] Kovjanic Custom V2

cybernck

2006 Kovjanic Custom - my new road bike build and ride stories

There are quite a few cyclists on here, so I gathered they might find this an interesting read :lol:.

Kovjanic ultra-light 7005 aluminium road racing frame, standard geometry, aircraft spec welds,

59cm length, weighing under 1300g. Kovjanic is a Serbian manufacturer of custom bicycle frames.

It was custom built for me back in 2002 to perfectly suit me and replace my old and tired Kovjanic

frame of my road bike. Very nice colour - a pearl white base with transparent yellow lacquer.

kovjanic_002.thumb.jpg

However, I made a bold decision to break up my old and abused bike and build a new one entirely

down to my wishes, for years of troublefree cycling and enjoyment. I was on a very tight budget

and with specific component list on my mind, so it took me a good few years to gather all the parts,

which brings us to May 2006 - the assembly time!

The fork of choice, with the best weight/price ratio, was Time Equipe Pro "feather-light" 430g carbon

fork with 1" carbon steerer. I specifically wanted black components, so the only choice was to go for

Shimano 105 Black group (2x9 speed).

kovjanic_017.thumb.jpg

A few years ago, I've held ITM Millenium stem and handlebars in my hands and decided I must get

them one day. And so I have :). Along with a Pazzaz Carbon aero seatpost, Selle Italia SLR XP saddle

and Elite Patao bottle cages.

kovjanic_028.thumb.jpg

We fitted all the mentioned components on the frame and finished routing the cables. It was time to

call it a day and continue the work the following day :lol:.

kovjanic_032.thumb.jpg

Next update coming very soon :mellow:.

Photos here: http://photos.cybernck.com/kovjanic

pip470

Thats looking great, Im sure its going to be a lovely ride. The black and yellow work really well and its sort of smooth and mean like a stealth bomber. Im not sure what the wheels are called but i love the look of the really high rimmed wheels with the writing on. They cost a fortune though but the bike so far doesn't look cheaply put together. Can't wait to see it finished. I like the bottle cages too.

cybernck

Continuing the build - I got the guy (Shimano shop owner) who always wound my bar tape,

to do it this time too :P. With the red Deda bar tape on, it was only wheels and chain left!

kovjanic_034.thumb.jpg

As for the wheels, not my first choice (it would have been Spinergy Rev-X, Mavic Cosmic or

Ksyrium) but a good one nonetheless - Mavic Aksium Race factory built wheelset. I've always

had Michelin tyres on my road bikes, so I got a pair of red Michelin Pro Race 2 in 700x23 size.

Good choice as, for our roads, 23s proved to be a much better choice than 20s I've always had.

kovjanic_037.thumb.jpg

There you have it - built up and ready to be ridden! The "venomous" colour scheme looks really

attractive and exactly as I envisaged it several years ago! It's hard to imagine that only a day

ago it was just a collection of useless parts and how is a fully functional road racing bike!

Total weight - a shade over 9 kgs or 20 lbs. Good enough for me.

kovjanic_042.thumb.jpg

And finally - the moment I've been daydreaming about for many years :lol:. Albeit with 8-9 kgs

over my fit weight and having to use my very old and knackered shoes and SPD pedals for

the time being :(.

kovjanic_047.thumb.jpg

Next and exciting update coming soon :lol:.

Photos here: http://photos.cybernck.com/kovjanic?page=3

oz.

I like the way you've done a little colour scheme with the red.

Shimano SPD-SL are alright pedals. They look similar to Looks but better. Might I suggest a new helmet as well?

• Like 1

cybernck

Yep, got both SPD-SL pedals (and shoes) and a new helmet B).

They will be featured later in this story, as I'm still running a couple of years late with it! :rolleyes:

oz.

I would show pics of all mine... but youd all call me a show off.

cybernck

Hello again everyone, I wish you a Happy New Year with lots of safe kilometers/miles.

2006 and 2007 went by surprisingly quick, but I got back into shape and decided to make

my old dream come true, which brings us to 31st of May 2008. The plan was to ride from

Banja Luka (BIH) to seaside in Makarska (CRO) - 250 kilometers via 5-6 hillclimbs,

at a moderate pace. Still 2.5-3 kilos over my fit weight but more prepared than ever

for this trek! And in my favourite gear, naturally ;).

kovjanic_054.thumb.jpg

Touchdown! :D Late in the afternoon, exhausted, but filled with joy and happiness!

A dream come true! That even sounds good, let alone what it felt (and still feels) like!

kovjanic_060.thumb.jpg

The stats: ~252 km, 8h50min riding time, 28.5 km/h avg, with mostly head-wind.

kovjanic_064.thumb.jpg

Photos here: http://photos.cybernck.com/kovjanic?page=4

Video here:

See you again soon :).

cybernck

The following week, I finally got the package with some essential things, that would have mattered

much on my ride to the seaside. Giro Monza helmet - much nicer, lighter, more comfortable and better

ventilating than my old crappy Prowell helmet.

kovjanic_065.thumb.jpg

Shimano SH-R099 road shoes with three straps and (silver) carbon sole - new shoes after 10 long years!

SM-SH10 Red (no-play) SPD-SL cleats - should be a vast improvement over the original SPD system.

Shoes + cleats = nice combination! Can't wait to start using them <_<. And finally - PD-R540 SPD-SL

black pedals. All-in-all, a whole world of difference over my old setup - I can't believe how much

energy I've been wasting with it! :D

kovjanic_069.thumb.jpg

Next update coming soon :D.

Photos here: http://photos.cybernck.com/kovjanic?page=5

cybernck

02/Jul/2008 - Since I've been feeling really well and strong after the ride to the seaside, I decided to

go back to racing, just in time for the National Time Trial Championships. I was keen to make a worthy

"come-back", so I even got an Aero helmet from the UK a couple of weeks before the race, along with

the rest of the TT kit. Every bit helps on a TT event... especially being quite fit (for my standards) :).

kovjanic_076.thumb.jpg

If I've ever been physically and mentally prepared for a TT ride - it was the time!

I did quite well - scored 2nd place and silver medal in Elite category, by doing 23 kilometers in 33 minutes,

41 km/h average - quite sattisfied with that.

kovjanic_078.thumb.jpg

I've done a few more road races in 2008, but roll on 2009!

kovjanic_080.thumb.jpg

Unfortunately, I was sick for 15 days early in 2009, which had completely exhausted me and messed up

my plans to go one better at the 2009 TT championships :(, but it didn't stop me from training and doing

some races and recreational rides, that I will present in the following updates :P.

Photos here: http://photos.cybernck.com/kovjanic?page=5

Time Trial video: http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1197585186461

Road Race video: http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1197591666623

DamirGTI

Bilmey Nick , this helmet is so sexy :) i want one :P

Anyway , looks like you have nice hobby B) though a bit demanding from what i can see , i would die after a few runs with my "coal" lungs on that bicycle ! let alone doing 23km's on it ...

Wish you all the best and keep up with the good results :(

Damir

cybernck

Oops, I forgot the post an update last week!

As said, the sickness had messed up my racing desires but I still managed to fulfill my plans for recreational rides.

13/Jun/2009 - back to Makarska with an idea to climb the Biokovo mountain by my road bike (I've done in the past both

by car and by my MTB). Starting at the sea-level - it's a 30 kilometer climb up to the St. Jure peak @ alt. of 1762 m,

out of which 29.5 km is uphill :-).

kovjanic_081.thumb.jpg

Half-way through:

kovjanic_087.thumb.jpg

Success!

kovjanic_091.thumb.jpg

A full set of photos here: http://photos.cybernck.com/kovjanic?page=6

cybernck

24/Jul/2009 - Another month - another hillclimb :). This time I was in Medveja near Opatija (CRO),

climbimg Mt. Ucka. Starting from sea-level. It's about 6 kilometers of ups and downs and then,

again at sea-level, the constant 22 km climb begins. The summit is at alt. of 1401 m.

kovjanic_099.thumb.jpg

There are a few of these nasty sections along the way.

kovjanic_101.thumb.jpg

The summit reached!

kovjanic_104.thumb.jpg

Full set of photos: http://photos.cybernck.com/kovjanic?page=7

cybernck

Still back in 2009 - I finally managed to get this lovely pair of Spinergy Rev-X carbon

wheels from the UK - that I had bought a year and a half earlier! My vision is now fulfilled

(except the yellow tyres, but I couldn't be bothered to swap for red ones). They will only

be used for TT's and an occasional training ride.

kovjanic_110.thumb.jpg

Since I became a bit paranoid about my full-carbon fork (with a good reason),

I bought a Deda BlackForce2 carbon fork with alloy steerer.

kovjanic_111.thumb.jpg

And finally - Polar S725X heart rate monitor with speed and cadence sensors.

It measures, monitors and records for further analysis everything I've ever

wanted to know about my rides!

kovjanic_112.thumb.jpg

This sums up the year 2009 - roll on 2010! :D

Full size photos: http://photos.cybernck.com/kovjanic?page=7

weejimmy

that looks so much easyer than oil, engine lifters, dodgy jacks and lying on your back under a car,

cool bike to not that i know anything about bikes with no engines

cybernck

Perhaps, but it's just as expensive and after all, it's much easier to drive a car than to ride a bicycle :P:D.

cybernck

2010 - Started off well, with running, gym and turbo trainer sessions and late winter rides as well.

kovjanic_119.thumb.jpg

The training continued. It was still early in the season but I was getting into good shape.

kovjanic_122.thumb.jpg

17/Apr/10 - Cycling race in Belgrade. Serbian national cup race with 85 riders in all categories.

It was a very pleasant experience. The finish was on top of a small mountain Avala, I came in

19th (out of 85) overall and 2nd in the amateur class!

kovjanic_125.thumb.jpg

May 2010 - everything was going so well until I accidentally badly sprained my ankle in a gym!

It turned out I damaged the ligaments and had to have a cast put on, which meant the end of

this year's season for me :-(.

kovjanic_131.thumb.jpg

Nearly 3 months later, I started cycling again, with everything I've worked for gone and hopes

for a better season next year. That's it for 2010 :-/.

kovjanic_132.thumb.jpg

Full size photos: http://photos.cybernck.com/kovjanic?page=8

cybernck

Fast forward to the year 2011!

kovjanic_133.thumb.jpg

I got some new winter gear. Scott Authentic winter bib-tights. They're good, but you

definitely need to order a size up from your bib-shorts. BBB Hardwear waterproof

overshoes - pretty warm and water repellent.

kovjanic_136.thumb.jpg

Crud Roadracer mk2 mudguards - a very useful thing, providing they fit your bike.

Pieces tend to fall off when riding on rough roads. Luckily spares are available on

Crud website.

After 5 years of riding this bike and altering my riding position, I figured out it would've

been spot on if I got a shorter stem, so I got a 10 cm ITM Millenium 4ever stem to replace

my old 13 cm ITM Millenium stem.

kovjanic_137.thumb.jpg

Shock horror! :-)

kovjanic_140.thumb.jpg

Just a Sunday ride :-).

kovjanic_141.thumb.jpg

Here I am, with a weight-weenie Fondriest of a friend of mine.

kovjanic_144.thumb.jpg

Full size photos: http://photos.cybernck.com/kovjanic?page=9

cybernck

2/Jun/2011 - Hillclimb National Championship in pouring rain.

I was fastest up the hill in Elite category, as well as in the general placement.

kovjanic_145.thumb.jpg

On the top of the podium :-).

kovjanic_146.thumb.jpg

It was a sweet victory as I wasn't really expecting it to come, having my mind and body

focused on the upcoming Time Trial National Championship race.

kovjanic_147.thumb.jpg

Full size photos: http://photos.cybernck.com/kovjanic?page=10

cybernck

And here's another very overdue update!

25/Jun/2011 Just a couple of days after winning Bosnian National Time Trial Championship

(on my Scott Plasma TT bike), we've had Republic of Srpska National Championship Road Race.

kovjanic_150.thumb.jpg

I won in the Senior category and became the most successful rider in the Championship,

since they began, nearly 20 years ago :).

kovjanic_152.thumb.jpg

16/Jul/2011 - 87 km race for a National League, held in Sanski Most - I went in a solo break

just a few km's into the race and came to a solo finish, nearly 12 minutes ahead of the main bunch!

kovjanic_153.thumb.jpg

It was definitely one of my favourite victories of all time - and it shows :).

kovjanic_154.thumb.jpg

cybernck

17/Jul/2011 - The third and final National Championship Event - Road Race this time,

held in Bihac. A demanding 90 km long mountainous course.

kovjanic_156.thumb.jpg

I won in the Elite category, making it three out of three this season!

kovjanic_158.thumb.jpg

I also received a special honour as the National Road Race Champion, at the Bosnian

Cycling Federation Ceremony, held on 6/Dec/2011 in Banja Luka.

kovjanic_159.thumb.jpg

Nikica Atlagic, BSK Banja Luka - triple National Championship title in 2011.

kovjanic_160.thumb.jpg

cybernck

Though I had given numerous radio and TV interviews due to my achievements,

being nominated for the best athlete of Bosnia & Herzegovina and Republic

of Srpska was something special. Here I am together with other 9 top athletes

of Republikc of Srpska, by the choice of national newspaper Glas Srpske.

kovjanic_161.thumb.jpg

21/Dec/2011 - I'm being awarded with a trophy for 7th place by Olympic gold

medalist from 1984 Olympics - Zlatan Arnautovic (volleyball goalkeeper).

It was an honour and a moment of great joy.

kovjanic_163.thumb.jpg

The ceremony was aired live on national television, with me pointing my

finger at the trophy, hahah.

Full size photos: http://photos.cybernck.com/kovjanic?page=11

Also, here's a video clip from the ceremony:

(sorry, I couldn't be bothered to subtitle the whole thing)

• Like 1

welshpug

going pro next, le tour!