• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
andyjstone

That List Of Little Jobs

andyjstone

Last couple of weeks I've started on that little list of 205 jobs that have built up over the summer.

The list started as:

1. Fit replacement tailgate

2. Fit new rear bump stops

3. Fit new 406 brake m/c

4. Fit new drop links

5. Fix loose brake pipe bracket above rear beam

6. Repair someone elses bad rust repair on roof

7. Replace missing interior trim clips

So, No. 1 went fine, except that the replacement tailgate I had didn't have central locking or the wires, so had to modify the loom, then couldn't get the old rear moulding off as somone had araldited it on, but nothing too serious and with nice new moulding it looks luverly.

No.2 got a bit problematical as though one bump stop had fallen off and Anthony has cleaned up the hole when fitting new rear beam, the other one was completely rusted solid and took a lot of persuasion with WD40, screwdrivers, hammers and mole grips, but it eventually gave in and now both fitted.

No. 3 and 4 took about half an hour each and the m/c fitted perfectly - this was the job I was expecting to be a big

No. 5 was a bastard. Real difficult place to get to, the bracket was hanging off, but the nut was still there completely rusted on. It took loads of persuasion and every possible combination of tools, but eventually it came off so cleaned up the bracket and thread, sprayed it up and put it back on with a shiney new nut. Put the brake pipes back and bled all the system and the pedal feel was amazing. Saw a pic pf someone elses beam on the forum and realised the bracket was at the wrong angle, making the pipe a bit tight and that the clip was missing that holds the pipe in place. So, took it all apart again, bent the bracket back into shape, sanded it down again, painted it again and then put it all back together again, just waiting for a new clip from Pug now.

BUT, while I was underneath I noticed that the two pipe clamps that hold the flexible fuel pipes from the tank on to the rigid ones underneath are both missing and one of the pipes was hanging loose. Tried to put the pipe back, but realised the clip was broke - another order to Pug.

While under the front I noticed some rust under the front valance so that's coming off!!

My 12 year old son gave the best solution: 'Dad, you've got to stop going underneath that 205'

Edited by andyjstone

EdCherry

Your son sounds wise!

When you next up at combe then?

andyjstone
Your son sounds wise!

When you next up at combe then?

It's about time I had another trip there, but it's cold and wet this time of year, can't take the Pug out the garage in this weather :lol:

DrSarty
No. 3 and 4 took about half an hour each and the m/c fitted perfectly - this was the job I was expecting to be a big

You've hit the nail on the head there.

Whatever job you expect to take 5 mins will take all day, the 205 fighting you all the way, as if it knew. :lol:

happygoron

Plus whatever job you do will always unearth another! Just spent ages going through my intake system, cleaning the throttle till I could eat off it etc. I may have fixed the problem (havn't driven it yet) but now I don't want to drive it far as I've seen the throttle cable needs replacing! Good thing I spotted it mind. But that's another week with it essentially off the road!

andyjstone
Plus whatever job you do will always unearth another! Just spent ages going through my intake system, cleaning the throttle till I could eat off it etc. I may have fixed the problem (havn't driven it yet) but now I don't want to drive it far as I've seen the throttle cable needs replacing! Good thing I spotted it mind. But that's another week with it essentially off the road!

I'm assuming that there is no end, there is just an endless stream of jobs, it's just a question of them being uncovered.