• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DamirGTI

Dash Warning Lamps Stopped Working ?!

DamirGTI

Anyone have an idea what's wrong before i start tearing things apart ?! : with the ignition switched ON just following warning lamps lits up :

- battery charge

- handbrake/low brake fluid

.. so the missing ,non working, warning lamps are :

- low oil pressure

- STOP

- high water temp.

All the gauges work spot on , it's just these three warning lamps above which started first as an intermittent malfunction , and now they don't work at all .. i've tried bridging the water temp. sender connectors with a piece of wire on chassis earth and then ,with the ignition ON, the STOP light lits up but not the "high water temp. light" ... tried the same with oil pressure sender connector but the "low oil pressure" lamp didn't lit up on the dash , so i don't quite understand what's wrong ?!

Please .. :lol:

Damir :D

pug_ham

Do your indicators work & have you checked your fuses?

Fuse # 2; Direction indicators, heater blower motor, oil pressure gauge, oil temperature gauge, heated seats, fuel gauge, coolant temperature gauge, low battery charge warning, oil pressure warning, brake system warning, coolant temperature warning, low coolant level warning . . . . . . . . . . . . 25A.

Graham.

DamirGTI

Yes :) the indicators work and so does the : heater blower motor, oil pressure gauge, oil temperature gauge, fuel gauge, low battery charge warning,brake system warning, low coolant level warning etc. .. all the fuses are good .. everything works bar this three warning lamps :

- low oil pressure

- STOP

- high water temp

Could it be that this three warning lamps are cross connected together in the same circuit ?! (Haynes doesn't helps much ..) :blush: as i can't make the low oil pressure warning lamp working by bridging the connector on the chassis earth (dash bulb is good ..).. seems like the wire is broken somewhere will try to test it with multimeter today ..

Thanks !

Damir :(

Edited by DamirGTI

jackherer
Could it be that this three warning lamps are cross connected together in the same circuit ?!

Yes, they all come on together. I don't know where they are connected but I would imagine it is in the clocks themselves. I have a vague recollection of some diodes to stop them backfeeding, again I guess these would be in the clocks.

DamirGTI

Fixed :) something was wrong with the voltage regulator (the square thingy on the alternator ..) i tried all kind of tests without luck , and then tried with another alternator , just placed spare alternator on top of the existing one disconnected the single connector/wire which goes on the voltage regulator and connected it on the top spare alternator and all the warning lights on the dash lit up as it should be .. so i just swapped the voltage reg. from one to another alternator ..

Seems like this wire ,which goes from the voltage reg. on the dash, is power supply (or something .. ..) for this three warning lamps :

- low oil pressure

- STOP

- high water temp

.. cos when i disconnect this wire none of the above warning lamps work bar this two :

- battery charge

.. with the wire connected they all lit up :

- low oil pressure

- STOP

- high water temp

- battery charge

Anyway , thanks for helps gents :)

Damir :)

Edited by DamirGTI

pug_ham

Nice one, glad it was something simple.

It could've been a real b*tch to find & fix with something that small.

I could imagine trying new / different clocks, tracing the wiring through the car etc.

Graham.

GLPoomobile

I've got the same problem. Don't think mine is the voltage regulator as I've just changed the alternator the other week (then subsequently found out the old one was working fine anyway!) and I still have this fault.

I have no low oil pressure light, no stop light, and no low coolant light. Haven't tested the high water temp light, but if it's supposed to come on with ignition on then mine isn't working.

I'll probably try swapping the whole cluster as a first test, but anyone got any bright ideas if it's not that?

DamirGTI

Well , these ones must lit up with the ignition ON :

- low oil pressure

- STOP

- high water temp

- battery charge

Unplug the connector from the voltage reg. and earth it on the chassis , or on the engine , switch the ignition ON and if it's all fine with the wiring you'll expect to see this three warning lights on the dash :

- low oil pressure

- STOP

- high water temp

... if they do not lit up with the voltage reg. wire earthed then you'll most probably have wiring problem :)

Hope this helps .. try it out :)

GLPoomobile

Do you mean the excitor wire?

DamirGTI

Yes , the one which goes from the loom on the spade terminal on the voltage reg. :)

chicargo
Anyone have an idea what's wrong before i start tearing things apart ?! : with the ignition switched ON just following warning lamps lits up :

- battery charge

.. so the missing ,non working, warning lamps are :

- low oil pressure

- STOP

- high water temp.

All the gauges work spot on , it's just these three warning lamps above which started first as an intermittent malfunction , and now they don't work at all .. i've tried bridging the water temp. sender connectors with a piece of wire on chassis earth and then ,with the ignition ON, the STOP light lits up but not the "high water temp. light" ... tried the same with oil pressure sender connector but the "low oil pressure" lamp didn't lit up on the dash , so i don't quite understand what's wrong ?!

Please .. :)

ive got exactly the same problem, i do know my alternator is faulty as the charge light was going on and off when i run the car, funny thing is though all my warning lights used to still work with the faulty alternetor but as from today ive lost my stop, water temp and low oil pressure lights, as with you all the gauges still work though just hope they all start working again when i change my alternator.