• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
splant

1992 1.9 Conked Out Wont Start

splant

hi just bought that 1.9 miami thats been on piston heads for 900 didnt pay quite that much tho , had to tow it to get it going wouldnt tick over at 1st and then on the way home it seemed ok , but then completely conked and a light came on orange seems the shape of an engine with lines across it , i think its ignition fault light according to haynes wiring diagram, well i havnt got a spark at the plugs anyway..

question 1. i cant see any ign amplifier any where... doesnt mine have one

2, it has a lamda sensor but i cant tell if it as a cat it has a sport backbox the middle box looks like a large cherry bomb one is this what cats look like on this model.

3. can i disconnect the lamda and use a normal 1.9 ecu

4.could the cat [if i have 1 ] be clogged and telling the ecu not to allow the plugs to spark .

be nice to get it running ive go the mot to worry about next it seems to burn a bit of oil so im worried about the emmisions ,,, its a sept 92 were cats law in oct 92 like ive read somewhere ?

thanks in advance for any answers .. steve

mr_exe

If the light has come one I would suggest getting it scanned for fault codes, rather trying to work out what is ailing the poor thing

DamirGTI

The ignition amp. is bolted on a plate on the RH inner wing near the timing belt cover , if theres no spark id try with the known good amp and coil first ... then , if it still refuses to start check CAS sensor and possibly try with spare ECU ..

Perform ECU diagnostic test in order to check if the system has registered any faulty codes (the orange/red light is for engine management , when it lits up you'll have some kind of system malfunction and you need to read the ECU faulty codes ..)

Damir :)

Edited by DamirGTI

splant

thanks is this ign amplifier the same as igh module and ign control unit are they all the same thing. cant get it anywhere to have the diagnostics done i have bought a normal 1.9 ecu of ebay, but would i need a catalyst one to swap with

DamirGTI

Yes , the ignition amp<->module are the same thing :) , you can read out ECU faulty codes on a DIY basis by yourself ..

You'll need 3 row ECU , as it's a Motronic car .. Jetronic ECU's are 2 row and they wont fit ..

Damir :lol:

splant

crikey read ecu fault codes diy ,,, i think your over estimating my skills!!! is there a thread on here somewhere to do that .what would i need? thanks

DamirGTI

It might sound awkward but it's nothing to it really :) , just need to learn procedure and how to count bulb flashes and that's it ..

Read this first :

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...ynes+diagnostic

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...hl=faulty+codes

.. then , when you're ready , search for diagnostic plug/connector - it'll be down around the fuel filter , green 2pin connector same as injector connector just green ..

Damir :lol:

splant

ive never been successful at soldering anything so making that is out.. i cant see one of them links was hoping it gave a list of all the things that set the light on and then i,d go through them all ,, the cant be that many can there? will the light go out when ive found the cause or does it need resetting somehow,,and does the light come on always when the ign is first turned on and then go out once started or should it only come on when theres trouble? thanks

DamirGTI

Well , then try this procedure : http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?a...ost&id=8333 this one doest't involve soldering , you'll need : some wire , crimp connectors and switch (std. one with two terminals ..)

Then follow the procedure as described in the doc. above .. in this case you'll be counting dash K-light , when you connect the switch/wire stuff on the diagnostic socket and chassis earth , go inside the car seat yourself down operate the switch on/off for 3sec. and you'll see that the K-light will start flashing -> system accessing code will be 12 , so this means -> one long flash (tens) and two short flashes (units) = 12 ... after the accessing code 12 you'll be checking for faulty codes (if theres any...) just for example say faulty code 34 will blink like this -> three long flashes and four short flashes ..

All the system/code erasing is done by depressing the switch on for around 5/10sec. until the K-light blinks code 11 , or you can simply unbolt the battery neg. lead for 5min.

Look it's a bit dodgy to explain the procedure like this , so please read the doc. above and at least try it out :lol: you can't do no harm by trying ... it may sound complicated but it really isn't ..

And yes , with the ignition switched ON the K-light should come on as well with the rest of the warning lamps ..

Damir B)

Anteas

if u want i may be able to come down with my fault code reader for a brew and a sandwich :lol:

splant
if u want i may be able to come down with my fault code reader for a brew and a sandwich :lol:

i,ll see if the coil works 1st thanks for the offer i,ll move on to my other faults for a while heater fans not working but fuse is ok thats a bit worrying will i have to have ddash out or might it be the switch ,, cheers again for all help

Sign in to follow this