• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sam jfm

Gearbox Experts Please...

sam jfm

Right, i rebuild my MA box with new bearings and a LSD, put it all back together and i could select gears. put it on the car and i could select gears, turned the engine over ( and the gearbox) and i cant get 1,2,3,4,5 but i can get reverse. now i say i cant get the gears, i can but i have to smash them in! oh and yes it has oil in it!

backroadpug
Right, i rebuild my MA box with new bearings and a LSD, put it all back together and i could select gears. put it on the car and i could select gears, turned the engine over ( and the gearbox) and i cant get 1,2,3,4,5 but i can get reverse. now i say i cant get the gears, i can but i have to smash them in! oh and yes it has oil in it!

if the car is not running and you put it in gear then start her with clutch pressed does the car slowly pull forward.?

sam jfm

im not sure and i cant find out because the car is in bits lol

drmo

I think the problem is clutch related. Check the cable and release bearing.

backroadpug

i think it sounds like a clutch clearance problem. was it a new clutch fitted is it std or an uprated one?

sam jfm

It is the same clutch that was on it before i rebuilt it? why would it be clutch?

Cheers Sam

drmo

Try shifting with clutch released, engine off...get my point? :)

sam jfm

Ok, it will change with my foot on the clutch,...am i being blonde? should it change when my foot is off the clutch with the engine off? Ie. when you guys sit in the car with the engine off will the car go into gear?

swordfish210

If the dogs arn't alinged then they will need to slip in without the synchros help if the gears arn't rotating, i.e. trying to ram it in to gear with the clutch up you're also trying to turn the engine as well.

drmo

That was my point. If the shifting is the same with clutch engaged or disengaged (when the car is still and engine off) than there is something wrong with the clutch.

Do you have a self adjustable clutch cable?

sam jfm

Right ok guys, i dont think there is anything wrong with it - im putting it down to the fact that the old box would go in with the clutch engaged because of the worn bearings, now they have been changed it works how it should! i just ashumed it way my rebuilding!