• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mikebullock84

Police Stopped My Car For Exhuast....magnex 4inch Backbox

Henry Yorke
Surely its a straight through system so has no baffles Henry?

I have never had the pleasure of dissecting one but I used to hear quite a few stories of where the innards came lose over time. Is the packing not in the material around the perforated part in the centre of the silencer (and that is sort of what I was referring to as baffles as opposed to butterflies or other internal tubing, so I may have got the description/name wrong)

Rippthrough
Why not take it off, get it opened up and repacked to quieten it down. Magnex baffles tend to come loose over the years.

(Or just fit a flamer kit and really give them something to complain about!)

Everybody should fit one of these flamer kits:

Moz_Goodwood
never take a pigs word as gospil, they will lie as much as a mp to get their good performance figures.

so true i wouldn't trust the filth as far as i could throw them

Ryan_B

I had the same problem a few years back. I had a 1.6 Gti with a Twin DTM upswept s/s box on and it was loud. I pulled out of a road end one night and nailed it, made it around the sweeping corner to be met by the red hand lamp of a police officer. They pulled me and and asked the usual, inspected the car, insurance, tax/mot etc. He then issued me with a summons in which i had to present the car with the standard back box on at my local police station with in a week. Off came the back box lol...

VisaGTi16v

Be interesting to know what they class as too loud, ie what decibels and how do they test it, MSA competition tests are done something like a metre away at 45 degrees. My 172 has a god awful exhaust that came with it which will be replaced when it falls off (should be soon now as its French) and at a sprint it peaked at 98db going through the revs but was only 92 sat at 5000.

I think with speed cameras you can demand proof of them being calibrated so presumably you can with noise meters. I very much doubt they can just say its too loud without backing it up with a proper test, not like its black or white like a bald tyre or a headlight not working

Galifrey

IVA test is 99db at 75% max rpm.

I would guess VOSA would use that limit to test a system.

Hmmm from Passionford

There is NO legal exhaust noise limit

Regulation 54 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986

provides for the fitting and use of an exhaust system , including a silencer , to all vehicles propelled by an internal combustion engine.

(2) Every exhaust system and silencer shall be maintained in good and efficient working order and shall not after the date of manufacture be altered so as to increase the noise made by the escape of exhaust gases. ( An aftermarket exhaust wouldnt contravene this provided you hadnt modified it )

And from the MOT:

http://www.ukmot.com/manual/6-3.htm

reason for rejection.

"b. a silencer in such a condition, or of such a type, that the noise

emitted from the vehicle is clearly unreasonably above the level expected from a similar vehicle with a silencer in average condition ( this is the ambiguous part )

Edited by Galifrey

VisaGTi16v

Mikes 205 must be frigging loud then as my Clio is almost unbearable lol. I would change it before it falls off but I keep buying beer and mountain bikes etc....

Ren

Bit of a coincidence this topic. Took my Mi16 for an Mot yesterday. It's been off the road for nearly 2 years but as I sold the VX220 recently I'm bringing it back out. Now perhaps unsuprisingly it failed, nothing mega, 2 little bits of welding needed on the sills, the CO emissions read 3.61 when they have to be under 3.50 but I think a good run should clear that and the worst bit as copied from the fail sheet "noise emitted from the vehicle is clearly unreasonably above the level expected from a similar vehicle with a standard silencer in average condition." Now I accept it might be a little bit loud, it's running a 4-2-1 manifold mated to a magnex exhaust with backbox only. The problem I see is that as there are no guidelines it is the testers decision whether to pass or fail it. Certainly the same garage passed my VX less than 12 months ago that had a Vauxhall Sports Exhaust and cars running this exhaust regularly get black flagged at trackdays for exceeding 101db. I think without a noise level stated by VOSA this is open to abuse. The tester could have been having a bad day or he could live next door to a boyracer who wakes him at 3am when he comes home so he hates loud exhausts. This is also true of the police in Mikes case. One persons acceptable is another persons too loud.

Batfink

A lot are stupid loud though. Theres a nice sporty sound which is poles apart from some which make your ears bleed.....

taylorspug

Ive taken a 16v 205 for an MOT before and got an advisory for excessively loud exhaust. It had a standard nearly new Bosal system on it...

skeggyrik

My old 205 (I presume the one Alasatirh mentions above) had a similar set up. 4-2-1 Maniflow manifold on an Mi16 with a full Magnex system, centre box and 4 inch back box. That measured 96db (If memory serves me correct) at Cadwell Park at 75% revs on entry to a track day there. Limit on the day was 98db which I was well under.

That was pretty noisy but again nothing over the top an never and issue.

sounds like they've spotted you having some fun and are making a point in the only way they can.

Jrod

It obviously depends on where you get the MOT but as the rules say it shouldnt be any louder than a similar car with a good condition exhaust. If it is and the police want to give you a hard time then there isn't really much you can do other than make it quieter!

I'm not a fan of big exhausts on 205s to be honest which is why mine is standard and I know I'll never get problems. :lol:

madspikes

First up the police database in the cars isnt updated enough to notice that your car has been tax'd in the last few days.... and I didnt believe it was the job of the police to chase up out of date tax discs...

I doubt the police fiddle the meter, its more likely they dont know how to use the meter correctly. I might be wrong but arnt these thing measured at 1 distance of 1m from the exhaust, so if you stick the meter up the pipe your going to get a tottally different reading..

If they keep pulling you for no good reason, remember to take there badge numbers then bang in a complaint.

Mad.

HERMAN

Boy racer tail pipe removed and a more civlised one welded on.

Not much help with the sound problem but it gives you an idea.

Shame to waste a stainless exhaust.

DSCF1596.jpg

DSCF1604.jpg

welshpug

your tyre is on the wrong way round :)

DamirGTI

... and you have boy racer rear lights :)

Damir :)

Tom Fenton

This is what I did to my 4" tailpimp Magnex.

205rearbeam009.jpg

Much better. According to the noise tester at Cadwell it was about 84dB(A) when it was tested at a track day. However that was just a static rev test to 4000rpm or whatever they decided, and I also have a rotary power enhancing muffler fitted.

On the hoof on boost it is a lot louder, but touch wood I've had no bother from the rozzers and no bother at Cadwell drive-by either.

backroadpug

also if you have an mot that means that the car is road wurthy

an mot is nothing. certain things can pass for you to pull out the garage on to the road and cops could still stop you for them.

98db i think is the limit but who appart from the police would check did they check your DB reading

most fails on an mot you can normally swerve. try get a mot testing guide make some interesting reading.

Edited by backroadpug

miamichris
your tyre is on the wrong way round :)

... and you have boy racer rear lights :)

Damir B)

...and your rear valance is the wrong colour! Just to jump on the band wagon of course :D

HERMAN

:lol: I know about the tyre the wheel is on just to keep it off the floor. The back lights came with the car and will get changed when I am not spending money on more important things and the whole of the lower half of the car is painted that colour because I like it that way. ;)

DSCF1102.jpg

...and your rear valance is the wrong colour! Just to jump on the band wagon of course :lol:

Batfink
This is what I did to my 4" tailpimp Magnex.

205rearbeam009.jpg

Much better. According to the noise tester at Cadwell it was about 84dB(A) when it was tested at a track day. However that was just a static rev test to 4000rpm or whatever they decided, and I also have a rotary power enhancing muffler fitted.

On the hoof on boost it is a lot louder, but touch wood I've had no bother from the rozzers and no bother at Cadwell drive-by either.

just angling the rear tailpipe down will make a difference...

Baz
your tyre is on the wrong way round :lol:

So what? they're only handed for water clearance purposes.

Have you not seen the amount of caterfields that run them the wrong way round anyway?

Batfink

maybe welshpug needed a lol?

Para

I had Magnex + S16 engine and NEVER had a problem with police, been stopped few times in UK and Ireland

VisaGTi16v

They delibrately do that on the front to decrease front end grip to get rid of some of the understeer, especially Seights with the extra weight.