• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mikebullock84

Police Stopped My Car For Exhuast....magnex 4inch Backbox

mikebullock84

well long story short, my dad was driving my car briefly in my local town, (small 2,500 population) and a cop truck swoped on my dad, with two police women, one being those 'power gone all to their heads' community support officers inside. She claims she saw me driving around yesterday, and the exhaust is too loud, and wanted to impound my car! bearing in mind i live in the country, nearest city (hereford) is 28 miles away with a impound lot.

Also claimed that my car was still sorn, and illegal, even though i taxed it sat morning! The 'proper' police officer said just get the exhaust changed, and the car is now marked on the database etc! Great start to 205 motoring on day 2 on the road.

The car flew through the mot with everything the same, its a magnex 4-1 manifold, then stainless middle pipe, with silencer, and 4''backbox. so il have to try and get a new smaller backbox to fit that hopefully!

iamjackiechan

im not sure about the ins and outs about loudeness of the exhaust but my manager has a c-type with straight through exhaust system its so loud you cant think, he's been driving it 40 years and the police have never said its to loud.

also if you have an mot that means that the car is road wurthy

hcmini1989
im not sure about the ins and outs about loudeness of the exhaust but my manager has a c-type with straight through exhaust system its so loud you cant think, he's been driving it 40 years and the police have never said its to loud.

also if you have an mot that means that the car is road wurthy

the sva limit i think is 101db so unless they have a meter to test it and it does`nt say not for road use .or isnt leaking there`s not alot they can do about it ..try and find someone with a db meter to measure it

mikebullock84

il go into the place where i got it MOT and have a chat with them to see whats up, maybe they can sort out some sort of letter to give the police when they stop me next time. Im sure its road legal, otherwise it would have something like for competition use only stamped on it. I think its this community support officer (not a real police women, just think they are) is just being a right bitch.

At the end of the day, if it was stupidly loud then surely it would of failed the MOT.

But on a side note, anyone know of something decent that i could replace the backbox with?

jobsworths!

even a Gallardo is less than 101 db at 4000rpm static so i doubt seriously if your 205 is anywhere close!

Alastairh

Personally, i wouldn't take notice of it, and i also use to have a 4inch magnex on the back of my mi and never had a problem.

Al

Rippthrough
jobsworths!

even a Gallardo is less than 101 db at 4000rpm static so i doubt seriously if your 205 is anywhere close!

Depends on the backbox I suppose, I can't say I can see the lure of a 4" backbox, but there you go.

For reference, our buggy was 126dB with a 2.5" bore and a large alloy silencer, which is 15 times louder than your 101db limit, and it didn't really sound that bad, certainly it would be more than bearable to drive in, so it can definately be that loud...

Also, the IVA limit doesn't apply, the construction and use regs. do, which mean that if the system is definately louder than a standard design exhaust would be then they can demand it be reverted and re-MOT'd

Edited by Rippthrough

hcmini1989

Also, the IVA limit doesn't apply, the construction and use regs. do, which mean that if the system is definately louder than a standard design exhaust would be then they can demand it be reverted and re-MOT'd

theres your answer then .but i wouldnt take any notice as said before .just show them your mot ticket and tell them to f**k off .i doubt they would have a db meter with them .just sounds like shes on a power trip and thats all they could get you on

Edited by hcmini1989

Rippthrough

They don't need a dB meter, like I said, if it is notably louder than the original exhaust system, that's all the evidence they need if they want to be funny.

Edited by Rippthrough

mikebullock84

yes, its so obivous that she was on a power trip, as her intention was to stop the car while my old man was driving it was to fine me/him for driving on a sorn, as it was taxed sat morning, so the computers wouldnt of updated when did a check...then came on to the exhaust, il admit its loud, and i dont like it, and it looks 'too boyracery' anyway, so il have to get something sorted. I think if the exit pipe looked somewhere near standard, then i should be ok next time, just a big fat 4'' looks loud!

here it is:

2009_10280161.jpg

mikebullock84

also a bright red fat dimma sticks out like a sore thumb in the local town, so its easy to spot! i dont rev in the town or drive fast, just an easy target i guess!

hcmini1989

well if its not allowed to be any louder than standard bs them with a story of how its a factory dimma and that the exhaust fitted is standard :blush:

SurGie

Have the bafflers been removed ?

mikebullock84

no, as far as im aware its standard magnex, got the receipt in the service history from demon tweeks, cost £480!

GSXR_J

If you know anyone with a iphone they can get a decible meter as an application to measure what its making? Just a thought!

woodsy

I been using magnex system with the 4 inch rear box for years and also has mi motor and carbs and never had a problem like that before.I took

a customers 205 for mot other week with group n system on with no centre silencer and the guy was going to fail it but i reminded him he passed it last year haha.

pablo
If you know anyone with a iphone they can get a decible meter as an application to measure what its making? Just a thought!

will this work with a low frequncy exhaust noise? range seems to be 300Hz to 6KHz ish and up to 110db

GSXR_J

Worked on Top Gear few weeks ago so i guess so! Give it a try! :D

omega
yes, its so obivous that she was on a power trip, as her intention was to stop the car while my old man was driving it was to fine me/him for driving on a sorn, as it was taxed sat morning, so the computers wouldnt of updated when did a check...then came on to the exhaust, il admit its loud, and i dont like it, and it looks 'too boyracery' anyway, so il have to get something sorted. I think if the exit pipe looked somewhere near standard, then i should be ok next time, just a big fat 4'' looks loud!

here it is:

2009_10280161.jpg

dont no about the noise but from the pic it looks like the exhaust sticks out past the bodywork which as far as i know is a no no

hengti

just sounds as though they were bored and decided to take a dislike. probably best to do something about it if they're local patrol, otherwise they'll only be at you again for it

mikebullock84

yeh ive gota change it, we have only got like 3 police people in the area, now 1 knows about it, im basically knackered! thats the trouble living in the sticks, everyone knows everything! any recommendations on a replacement?

Henry Yorke

Why not take it off, get it opened up and repacked to quieten it down. Magnex baffles tend to come loose over the years.

(Or just fit a flamer kit and really give them something to complain about!)

Batfink

depending on what packing material the magnex uses will determine whether the sound deadening materials have perished or not.

Surely its a straight through system so has no baffles Henry?

weejimmy

havent read the full thread so not sure if this has been coverd but

at my nearest cruise there was cops going around with the db meter, they pulled a guy with a totaly stock punto turbo. took a reading and told him it was illegal, he had an argument about it and cops prety much said your talking pish mate its got a silly exhaust and its illegal, let him see reading and it was too high, so he went to fiat to complain and they took a reading and it was way less than the cops reading. turned out cops fiddled with it to make it read higer to get more people, as no one has balls to complain these days they never got found out till he went to court. well i think the fiat garage went to court in the end.

never take a pigs word as gospil, they will lie as much as a mp to get their good performance figures.

S33GAV
never take a pigs word as gospil, they will lie as much as a mp to get their good performance figures.

:D