• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dee205

Renewing Faded Bumpers Etc.

Batfink

so which colour plasticare for ph2 bumpers. Are they black or a grey?

dee205

Black.

GeorgeXS

Plasticare is fantastic stuff mine still look as good as they did 3 months ago.

I have a similar experience to you though GLPoo, my rear boot panel did not take the plasticare as well as the bumpers did, leaving it all blotchy.

It was slightly shiney to begin with as well, maybe it has been replaced at some point in its life?

alphacharlie

Gonna get some Plasti-care on my xmas list asap

;)

Galifrey
The OE front & rear bumpers are made of glassfibre I think?!

Glass reinforced ABS plastic.

one-lady-owner

I've always found a semi-regular application of AG bumper snot works perfectly for me, and it makes all the plastics bead when it rains, so it matches the overly waxed paintwork too.... I've just been outside and taken a pic of the row of beads on the sunroof plastics:

DSC00501.jpg

Galifrey

AG Bumper snot is good to preserve, the plasticare stuff is more for repair, can then use the AG stuff for maintaining the condition.

one-lady-owner

I don't know, my ph2 plastics are pretty faded if left, the snot definitely pumps quite a lot of colour back into them!

richystran

I got black plasti-care and its excellent! I wonder what it is as im sure it could be got for alot cheaper? I reckon there is a little toner involved imo!

pablo

do halfords sell it?

dee205

You'll get the Plasticare on ebay. Tenner a bottle.

weejp
I keep meaning to get this plasticare stuff, but the AG snot works so well i don't think i'll need anything else. Depends how faded your trim is.

Indeed, same story here - regular applications of AG bumper care and the arches and bumpers are looking fresh despite being 20 years old.

Would a touch of Plasticare disguise a scuff on an otherwise unblemished bumper? If so - anyone got a tiny sample by any chance? :lol:

woo83

A few years ago i was given some stuff by a body shop guy it was like a yellow gooey wax a bit like that hair stuff it was really good stuff but iv never seen or heard of it since.

anyone know what it was

philfingers

I did my very faded ph1 car with black plasticare, it's great. I cleaned all the plastics first with celly thinners and then brushed on two coats of the plasitcare, which i thinned a little with celly thinners, it's two thick (IMO) to flow nicely from a brush. 10k miles and nearly a year later and it's almost as good as the day it went on. I have used the Auto Glym stuff previously on another car but you need to do it a lot more frequently to keep it looking as good as the plasticare stuff. I still have a half a bottle of plasticare left, even after two (thinned) applications. So money well spent. Gte it on the paint and you need to t cut it out tho, it's strong stuff.

Top marks, well recommended. . .. .. but apply with care!

and yes i agree it doesn't like the back panel much.. . .. .

Edited by philfingers

28CRAIG

Gtechniq C4 is on my shopping list :lol:

chocolate_o_brian
Gonna get some Plasti-care on my xmas list asap

:lol:

I was one of the first folk on here to really rate it back last year http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...c=94931&hl=

has faded a bit over time but I use a Karcher to wash the car and it was applied by paint brush so not suprising really. I'm gonna get another bottle and do it again when I have a dry day and clean car. Looks excellent when first applied!

MerlinGTI

Heatgun - Tried on side trims, works well, gotta be careful tho, can melt/distort trims. Wont work on front or rear bumpers.

AutoGlym - Works well, doesnt last long, makes trim shiney (bad)

Re-Texture / colour (Plas - X Spraypaint) - Done front and rear bumpers, Looks fantastic, Perminant, Took forever, loads of faffing about masking etc..

Peanut butter - Stupid

AutoSmart Trim Ultra - Simular to AutoGlym, bottle blurb says lasts months, reports of 7+ months from users, not shiney, not a paint or dye = Win \o/

Heres a picture of the results with AutoSmart trim Wizard (the weedy little brother of trim Ultra)

173d425f.jpg

Edited by MerlinGTI

munster

Anybody else notice the picture on the bottle?

Ryan_B

Dee205 if you want i will throw a bottle of that plasticare up with you when i come up to look at the 205 sir? I bought it for the van. Im home on the 23rd so if you want i'll bring it up in the newyear. Best excuse i could think of without wasting more of your time sir!! :)

chicargo
I've used some black polish stuff (bit like boot polish tbh)

i do use black boot polish and ive found works better and lasts far longer than back to black or bumper shine ect. just slam it on, let it dry and polish off. it can also be used on rubber window seals, tyres, plastic ect, also if youve got a black car with very faint swirl marks/scratches also covers them up a treat.

pee vee

Just noticed this. Just pressed the 'buy it now' button on some of that plasticare. so hope its as good as people say!!

:angry:

dee205
Just noticed this. Just pressed the 'buy it now' button on some of that plasticare. so hope its as good as people say!!

:angry:

Aye get us some before and after pics to look at will you.