• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dee205

Renewing Faded Bumpers Etc.

dee205

I know this has been mentioned a thousand times and I've read all the old topics. Just wondering on how well bumpers and arches hold up after a while when they've been sprayed halfords matt black etc.

Seen some old topics and the results at the time look very good but I don't want to mess about with it if it's gonna flake or fade in 6 months time.

I've used some black polish stuff (bit like boot polish tbh) and then coated it a few times in Autogleam bumper stuff and it looks very good but any other ideas tried and tested would be good.

TBH I don't wanna spend £100s on new bumpers, arches etc if I can help it.

Cheers

Damien

Masekwm

I used Plasticare from eBay and it's great

DRTDVL

Mine still looks like this a year after i did mine... I did all the trim, door handles, wing mirrors and slam panel.

_MG_1616copy.jpg

I used the K&H satin black bumper spray. Only prep work i did was a 600grit wet dry sand with a little dishwashing liquid in the water, a rinse, a rub down with meths, and then a spray. Took 5 min to dry and has a primer built into the paint.

I've used the paint on my s16 wheels for a bit of a giggle and it's lasted very well on those also.

should note i had to do a quick touch up where i was hit with a shopping trolley and just sprayed over the top of the existing paint, and it blended in perfectly, you can only see the gouge it left but no paint layering

Edited by DRTDVL

dee205

Looks well. Where do you get the K&H stuff? I take it you didn't removed anything, just masked around it?

The Plasticare stuff looks good too. Might try a bottle for a tenner and see how it goes first.

Cheers guys

Edited by dee205

cybernck

Spraying bumpers black is a very different matter to de-fading Ph1 grey bumpers though :).

Anyone got any suggestions? Apparently, heatgun treatment doesn't work as the bumpers are not plastic like arches.

DRTDVL
Looks well. Where do you get the K&H stuff? I take it you didn't removed anything, just masked around it?

I got it from Repco in NZ, so not sure if you can get it over there, i'd hazard to say any bumper paint with a built in primer would be fine... The cans cost me about 18nzd (6 pounds roughly) and i would have used 2 to do the car, i had a 3rd can incase i needed it and for touch-ups.

It's an aussie company if i remember correctly.

I removed the wing mirrors, trim, bumpers and painted those. I masked the door handles and rear slam panel.

With the rear slam panel i sprayed the whole thing as the Peugeot and GTI badges where looking tired, i got an Alfa metallic silver and Brilliant red automotive touch up paint and repainted the badges... it came out like this:

_MG_0690.jpg

Edited by DRTDVL

DRTDVL
Just wondering on how well bumpers and arches hold up after a while when they've been sprayed halfords matt black etc.

Seen some old topics and the results at the time look very good but I don't want to mess about with it if it's gonna flake or fade in 6 months time.

Cheers

Damien

Spraying bumpers black is a very different matter to de-fading Ph1 grey bumpers though :).

Anyone got any suggestions? Apparently, heatgun treatment doesn't work as the bumpers are not plastic like arches.

He's talking about spraying matt black.... or that was my impression....

Edited by DRTDVL

SurGie

What are they made from then as when i took mine of and it broke it looked plastic to me ?

I have some fantastic stuff that once you put it on it looks like it ant done note but then wait a while till it soaks in and it looks new.

Iv tried loads of back to black stuff in my time and this stuff is the best and lasts ages, just cant remember what its called.

Will post the name of it tomorrow.

cybernck
He\'s talking about spraying matt black.... or that was my impression....

[purist]Yeah, I was just making a remark for someone with a Ph1 205 GTI reading this, that it's not what they should do[/purist] :)

BTW, here's a UK-based trim-refurb guide:

http://www.205gtidrivers.com/articles.php?data=m-trimrefurb

cybernck

To explain the previous post further - how to bring grey faded bumpers back to the original grey pastic colour?

Here's an example:

205gti999_010.thumb.jpg

:)

cybernck

Sweet! Thanks for the heads-up :).

GLPoomobile

I really love Plasticare for it's ease of application. Just dab on a cloth and wipe over. Masking (if done in situ) can then be kept to a minimum. It also gives a really nice matt finish if left as is, or you can buff it up with Autoglym bumper snot to make it shiney. Think I prefer the matt look though.

I don't know how long lasting the Plasticare is though. I've read that it soaks in to the plastic and should not flake off over time like the spray treatments do, but I'm not 100% convinced.

One problem I've had was with the bumpers. As mentioned, they are a different plastic to the arches etc. I also know that the non-OE bumpers are a different plastic again. Well I found that the Plasticare didn't want to go on my front bumper. It's just went on really patchy. This may be becuase it had been painted previously, and I'd had to rub it down with a scotch pad, in the process making it almost smooth as the texture came away far too easily compared to the arches. I've not heard anyone else have this problem, so it's probably an isolated case.

Edited by GLPoomobile

allye

Plasticare is the best stuff out there! By the look of bottle and seems its just a bloke mixing it up in his shed but the results are great. For best results I took my bumpers of and gave them a very good clean and couple of coats of plasticare and they looked new. Havn't faded what so ever 2 months later.

Ali

mr_exe

I used Wurth plastic dye and i'm pleased with the results, though it need two coats.

NeilGTi85
What are they made from then as when i took mine of and it broke it looked plastic to me ?

The OE front & rear bumpers are made of glassfibre I think?!

• Like 1

dee205

Aye, if you've ever damaged one you'll see the fibres underneath. It makes them less likely to bend or warp compared to plastic. Although plastic these days may be a little different than 20 years ago.

Edited by dee205

jdb1964

one word = P L A S T I C A R E :lol:

It transformed by faded Ph1.5 grey '90 back a nice grey shade

GLPoomobile
one word = P L A S T I C A R E :lol:

It transformed by faded Ph1.5 grey '90 back a nice grey shade

That's not a word, it's 10 letters :lol:

chrisj21

Its possibly been covered but how well does plasticare transform grey bumpers to black?

Does it give a good dark black finish or just a very dark grey?

Richie

I keep meaning to get this plasticare stuff, but the AG snot works so well i don't think i'll need anything else. Depends how faded your trim is.

shalmaneser

plasticare worked wonders for me. Been well over a year now, and it's still a really dark grey.

GLPoomobile

I'm going to Ph2 my interior with my Plasticare :)

cybernck

For effective colour coding, refer to the first few posts of this topic :).

dee205
I'm going to Ph2 my interior with my Plasticare :lol:

I can see a Max Power moment coming..... ;)