• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Bottrill

Dizzy And Vacuum Part Numbers

Bottrill

" DISTRIBUTOR

BOSCH - 0237009063/076

- XU5JA UNTIL DATE 19891201

BOSCH - 0237009086

- XU5JA SINCE - 1991

and the vacuum advance capsule for them respectively are;

5951 80 0237009063/076 and 5951 A5 0237009086 "

I have just copied the above text from a previous post by Welshpug. Checking my dizzy and vac advance last night after the head rebuild, and found that the vac advance is buggered. However the part number on the dizzy is 0237009085 not 0237009086 as above. Would the vac advance from the 0237009086 work? I have checked quite a few threads but no luck so far.

The car is a June 1990 1.6.

Thanks.

Bottrill

Right, having just come off the phone to Pentagon Peugeot, Derby it seems that 0237009085 is the correct dizzy and that the part listed on their computer for the vacuum advance is 5951 80. However this part is no longer available through them. He did say that 5951 A5 was available, £22.50, but was unsure whether it would fit.

Can anyone clarify this?

Apologies for all the questions/ your time.

Thanks.

Edited by Bottrill

pug_ham

After looking through the Bosch e-cat it doesn't show the vac advance capsule though so I can give you a Bosch number for it.

The last vac advance capsule I bought as from (the original) Autofive & they claimed that there was only one capsule which would fit any 205 GTI distributor.

Whether this was true I can't say but the one they sold me fitted the 1990 Bosch dizzy on that car & afaik is still working.

Its a case of suck it & see though but I can't see why it won't fit.

Graham.

Bottrill

Thanks for that Graham, much appreciated. The parts chap at Auto Five is due back in tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed.

Tom Fenton

I went through this about 2 years ago, in the end I took the gamble and bought the only vacuum can my local dealer could get, it fitted the dizzy OK and worked fine.

Bottrill

Peugeot, Derby are basically saying that if the 1.6 bosch dizzy number ends in 5 its for a series 1, and 6 is a series 2. pug part numbers 5951 80 and 5951 A5 respectively for the vac unit. The former being NLA.

Cheers Tom, looks like I will be doing a similar thing.

ALEX

I used the vac advance for my 1.9 from a 1.6 CTI.

They looked the same it fits and there wasn't any numbers stamped on the advance unit so I assumed they were the same.

It works As far as I know it should.

The Arch Bishop

Sorry about the thread resurrection, but to stop anyone else making the same mistake as I did and to save opening yet another new topic...

The 1.9 and 1.6 vacuum units are very slightly but critically different.

Vac_Unit.jpg

The 1.6 unit is on the left and the 1.9 unit on the right.

Whilst they're not exactly level to each other in the picture, measuring with a micrometer showed the arm on the 1.9 unit is about 3mm longer which makes a big difference on the advance/retard plate. I fitted the new unit on my 1.6 and it was not very happy!!

Going to put this on the for sale section now and try and get some of my money back... :lol:

welshpug

don't happen to have the part numbers to hand for them do you?

The Arch Bishop

Well the 1.9 one is Bosch part number; 1 237 123 091 but the one on the right is the original so I don't have the number for that. Wish I did though as I now need one and I'm not sure where to get it from.

welshpug

any bosch/lucas supplier I'd imagine, that's where I got mine.

The Arch Bishop

I think the garage a few miles away is a Bosch dealer so I'll give them a ring. The diaphragm on the old one is so naffed, I can play the thing like a whistle!

miamichris
Sorry about the thread resurrection, but to stop anyone else making the same mistake as I did and to save opening yet another new topic...

The 1.9 and 1.6 vacuum units are very slightly but critically different.

Vac_Unit.jpg

The 1.6 unit is on the left and the 1.9 unit on the right.

Whilst they're not exactly level to each other in the picture, measuring with a micrometer showed the arm on the 1.9 unit is about 3mm longer which makes a big difference on the advance/retard plate. I fitted the new unit on my 1.6 and it was not very happy!!

Going to put this on the for sale section now and try and get some of my money back... :)

I'd be interested in that vacuum advance unit so long as it fits my 1.9! :D I'll have to check the part numbers on my dizzy and service box, is there only one unit to fit the 1.9?

Bottrill

This is interesting. I completely overlooked this when replacing mine. Im now unsure which version I have fitted. The car still goes well though.

So the next question for those of us who may have fitted the 1.9 unit is, would we need to advance or retard the timing to compensate for the difference?

Lee.

The Arch Bishop

I had to retard the ignition quite a long way to get it to tick over in any way (before, it was virtually dead centre on the slots). There was only a about another few mm on the dizzy rotating slots and it still wasn't running at all well.

The Arch Bishop

Quick update, as mentioned on the first page, Peugeot part number 5951A5 fits a treat on 1.6's and is comparatively cheap at £19.88.

MerlinGTI

Intresting!

I recently put a 1.9 Vac unit on my 1.6 dizzy and it has made sod all difference as far as I can tell, which is doubley disturbing as the old one was buggered (new one obviously isnt).

I didnt check arm heights sadly and I cant remember if I launched the old one. I will check/look for it this weekend. Infact I'm gonna check the part number on my dizzy too because it isnt orginal.

2 things Ive noticed since changing it that may or may not be related:

Ive nearly max'ed out my AFM adjustment (rich bias) getting it to run a nice 1.5 Co2 at Idle

My fuel economy seems to be worse (or maybe its because ive been using a more fuel efficient car lately-placebo?)

Some investigation needed :D Thanks for the info 'in thread' gents.

MerlinGTI

Right!

I did make a difference fitting a 1.9 vac to a 1.6, Since driving about more Ive noticed the car is hesitant (abeit slightly).

I didnt throw out my 1.6 vac unit and it indeed has a shorter arm than the 1.9 unit I fitted incorrectly. I have now put the knackered 1.6 unit back on and its driving better.

I'm also expecting that my AFM being maxed out and my poor fuel economy will be related (was adjusted when I fitted the 1.9 vac). I will confirm as soon as I get my Gas analiser back from my bloody father.

I'm going to source a new 1.6 vac.

Again thankyou to 'The Arch Bishop' for making me aware of all this.

MerlinGTI

Bit more info for people playing with vac advances...

If you find Pug no longer supply your vac unit (it seems most have gone NFP) write down the NFP part number for the vac unit you want from service box and pump it into BOSCH Ecat:

http://ecat-online.bosch.de/toc/frame1.html

Selecting 'OE Number' in the search parameters. This will bring up the BOSCH number for the vac unit you need. Of course BOSCH are still making and selling these :lol:

for example

VAC: 5951 80 (PUG Number NFP)

=

VAC: 1237 123 027 (BOSCH)

Cool beans