• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest valge välk

Instrument Panel Illumination

Guest valge välk

I have just recently managed to finish my first (and probably also the last) engine swap from 1.9 to S16 on 89' 205 GTI (left hand drive).

Now when it is time to put back the interior I have just discovered that the instrument illumination is not working. It did work before I started the transplant, but as I removed all the dash for wiring purposes I have somehow managed to loose the power to the instrument illumination.

Does anyone know what wire should give power to the instrument panel lighting? The Haynes manual says wire nr. 14 but there is no such wire going to the instrument panel.

The last owner has made some wiring work before I bought the car, so there are some loose wires - off course I did not make any photos when dismantling the dash, so now I really do not know which loose wire (there are two or three) might be causing the problem.

From Haynes I noticed that the dash lighting should go through ashtray illumination before going to the instrument panel - might that be true?

The thing is even more interesting because my headlights and the warning signal (peeping sound when the door is open and lights are on) are working and also there is one bulb hanging out of the dash (I do not know where it goes exactly, it is just separate bulb in the center region of dash, near ashtray) which is lit but the bulbs on ventilation head unit are off (I vaguely remember they being off before I disassembled the car as well).

I will try to post some photos tomorrow to illustrate the problem.

Still, does anyone have any ideas what to check (realys or something) next?

I have checked the fuses - they are OK.

I did the search, but found no useful info...

Edited by valge välk

Tom Fenton

Top cause is leaving the dimmer rheostat unplugged. Plug this in and there should hopefully be light once more. Situated in the plastic above the drivers knees.

welshpug

is the rheostat plugged in?

if it is and it is receiving 12v, check that the cluster is getting 12v, and if that is check the earth plugs on the steering column, IIRC there are two yellow 5 pin plugs.

Guest valge välk
Top cause is leaving the dimmer rheostat unplugged. Plug this in and there should hopefully be light once more. Situated in the plastic above the drivers knees.

As promised I give you some photos:

http://www.silberauto.ee/ftp1/silber/2009_...20_PB2601~0.JPG

http://www.silberauto.ee/ftp1/silber/2009_...20_PB2601~1.JPG

http://www.silberauto.ee/ftp1/silber/2009_...20_PB2601~2.JPG

The main problem is, that the previous owner has had fun with the electrics and now I have some sort of green wire, which goes through rheostat and then to the small lamp (visible on the plastic cover nect to rheostat) and then just ends. I have no idea where to plug that wire. If I plug it to + then the small light will go on, but I have no spare or broken plus wire anywhere.

Also, there is a interesting plug under light switch, which I do not find any use for.

I will once more try to find out how to connect rheostat to my elektric system.

Thanks for replies.