• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest roblemon69

205gti 1.6 With D6a Engine Fitted

Guest roblemon69

hi i not long had my gti and need to sort a few things with it.

bought it thinking there was a 1.9 205 gti engine fitted but since noticed d6a on a plate on the engine which after lots of searching it is from either a 405 sri 8v or bx gti 8v. is this right

first the cooling fan/s are always on. bit annoying as on second speed there quite loud.

the water temp gauge does not work. i have herd there's a wiring fix to sort the difference in the d6a wiring

the oil temp is not working. again dont miss this gauge just would like to get it working.

plus i have a brown wire around the S.A.D device witch just hangs there any idea where it goes.hope fully this could sort one of my temp gauges out.

i also have a light knocking/rattle from the cam area around 4k could this just need reshimmimg. or is a new cam needed, would a 1.9 gti cam fit.

any one local to bs9 area in Bristol who could help me or pop there head under my bonnet and point me in the general direction of sorting these problems. It was spanner work no problem but a bit crap with electrics.

i have used the search and read loads of old threads but nothing that really helps me.

chicargo
hi i not long had my gti and need to sort a few things with it.

bought it thinking there was a 1.9 205 gti engine fitted but since noticed d6a on a plate on the engine which after lots of searching it is from either a 405 sri 8v or bx gti 8v. is this right

first the cooling fan/s are always on. bit annoying as on second speed there quite loud.

the water temp gauge does not work. i have herd there's a wiring fix to sort the difference in the d6a wiring

the oil temp is not working. again dont miss this gauge just would like to get it working.

plus i have a brown wire around the S.A.D device witch just hangs there any idea where it goes.hope fully this could sort one of my temp gauges out.

i also have a light knocking/rattle from the cam area around 4k could this just need reshimmimg. or is a new cam needed, would a 1.9 gti cam fit.

any one local to bs9 area in Bristol who could help me or pop there head under my bonnet and point me in the general direction of sorting these problems. It was spanner work no problem but a bit crap with electrics.

i have used the search and read loads of old threads but nothing that really helps me.

ive got a 1988 1.9 205 gti with the same d6a code plate, also had a rattle on mine when i bliped the accelerator, turned out to be detonation because the timming was way out.

Guest roblemon69
ive got a 1988 1.9 205 gti with the same d6a code plate, also had a rattle on mine when i bliped the accelerator, turned out to be detonation because the timming was way out.

ok cheers will check this out.

but i'm sure its cam follower/cam noise. also where is your rev limet mine is at 6k dead which i feel is lower than it should be. my old 1.6 loved to rev to 7k and was faster then my current 1.9

chicargo
ok cheers will check this out.

but i'm sure its cam follower/cam noise. also where is your rev limet mine is at 6k dead which i feel is lower than it should be. my old 1.6 loved to rev to 7k and was faster then my current 1.9

hi, not sure about rev limit, i'll check mine for you tomorrow. but the symptoms sound just like mine, check my post out,,,, http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=112427 i was convinced it was the cam/followers, the car started ticked over and ran very well (except for the loud rattle when reved)but the timming was well out, also when i went to start it it turned over slow for two turns and then fast on one turn of the engine, when i went to check the timming im sure it said in the haynes manual that the gti engine was at top dead center with number 1 cylinder firring, but on my engine (a d6a engine) it was at top dead center with number 2 cylinder firring.

welshpug

1.9's dont really like to rev past 6k, not sure where the limiter will be on yours but on the D6B its 6200 as far as I can remember.

the characteristic of the D6A I've heard is like an Mi16, nice spread of torque mid range and pulls well up to 6k like and Mi16 does, just without the exra 1k rpm of power the MIi16 has.

it was used in the bx gti and 405 sri afaik :wub:

Guest roblemon69

ok cheers i had a play with the dizzy moved to both ways and test drove the car many times.not had a car with a dizzy for years!

found my car now runs bettter with the dizzy turned towards the car if stood at the front by a around 5mm the tick over also jumped up from 750 rpm to nearly 2k (reset idle now)

i tryed to advance it more put just got pinking so back it off to where it drove best.

the car pulls so much bettter and harder than before but my rattle is still there from 3.5k.

i will have a better check and try to get a light gun when/if it ever stops raining.

Nrj
i will have a better check and try to get a light gun when/if it ever stops raining.

yer i sold my gun years ago, going to have to try and find another in my garage somewhere,

its something you think your'll never need again then you get back into cars that need them :blink:

Guest roblemon69

hi after my father played with the car the other day and my rattle/knocking at 4k is gone.he says he just retarded the dizzy a bit a so i guess it was detonation.

but now my gti feels like it has lost even more power.

i have tryed to advance the dizzy but the det starts again. and to get any decent power i must advance it a lot so i guess my dizzy may be dodgy.

there is also no resistance felt if i blow or suck on the vac advance unit is this correct.

pug_ham

To answer a few previous questions, the brown wire wrapped round your SAD is very likely the oil temp sender wire which should go to your sender in the back of the sump, if your engine has one fitted.

Short it to the block & check the guage (top right on clocks) it shuld go full scale if it is the oil temp guage wire.

Water temp guage shoud have the same sender as a 205 s maybe your wires are simply crossed over. At the back of the thermostat housing (behind the dizzY0 you shuld have two brass sudners, one small & one large like in this picture.

The red one is your temp guage & the larger of the two the temp warning light. Usually the temp guage wire has a red plastic cover over the terminal.

The D6D engined 405 SRi I drove had the same basic engine as yours but on different (MP3.1) management but that didn't like to rev much past 6k, it would but very slowly after 5800, iirc that limiter was about 6500rpm. Peak power is @ 5500 rpm from what I remember on the D6A.

The vac advance capsule on your car is dead, you should feel some resistance when you suck on the pipe which comes off it to the throttle body.

What does your inlet manifold look like? If its the normal smooth alloy one as in the picture below you might want to check the inlet ports on the head;

danny4.jpg

Usually the D6A has round ports & an inlet which looks similar to the Mi16 one below.

simes4.jpg

Graham.

Guest roblemon69

my inlet is a std gti one like the first pic

cheers for the info i will check the sensors wires later.

and the ports the next weekend we get with no rain :lol:

jackherer
hi after my father played with the car the other day and my rattle/knocking at 4k is gone.he says he just retarded the dizzy a bit a so i guess it was detonation.

but now my gti feels like it has lost even more power.

Are you running it on 95 RON unleaded? If so fill it with super unleaded and you should find you can advance the dizzy further before you hear pinking.

pug_ham

The D6A is ok to run on unleaded afaik from looking at the Haynes manual for the BX & 405 but if you have the GTI head & cam then a 1900 GTI has to run on SUL / V power for best results & no pinking imo.

Graham.

Guest roblemon69

yes running on 95 ron unleaded intill i can find a decent working dizzy, i have not tryed v-max yet will do when i get the dizzy.

since the weekend the car has ran a lot better with new plugs fitted the old ones where black and totaly covered in cr*p worse i have ever seen but then it was running totaly cr*p when i first got it.

i sure my car has a gti head and surely they would of changed the cam as well as, when i saw pic of the inlets above, i thought it was my engine bay apart from my throttle body has the idle screw in a different place.

Sign in to follow this