• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest aclivea

1.9 Box Options

Guest aclivea

I am currently looking at gearbox options for my 1.9. I have fitted 1.6 box to a 1.9 before, great, need more. Has anyone come across an even shorter box that would fit?

C_W
I am currently looking at gearbox options for my 1.9. I have fitted 1.6 box to a 1.9 before, great, need more. Has anyone come across an even shorter box that would fit?

:D I'm not sure why you would want shorter gears on the 1.9 8v engine, even with a 1.6 gearbox let alone shorter than that!!

Unless it's been heavily modified to rev you will make it slower.

Guest aclivea

Top end might be slower but surely it'll get there quicker, which is what i'm interested in.

red

Then fit the MI final drive if thats what your looking for, the 1.9 is 3:9:1 FD

the 1.6 is 4:1:1 FD and the MI I beleive is 4:4:1 FD, to me your best option is fit the 1.6 FD to the 1.9 box, that's my mod for next year.

Regards Russ....

Guest Bigj
Then fit the MI final drive if thats what your looking for, the 1.9 is 3:9:1 FD

the 1.6 is 4:1:1 FD and the MI I beleive is 4:4:1 FD, to me your best option is fit the 1.6 FD to the 1.9 box, that's my mod for next year.

Regards Russ....

I'd go with the 1.9 box with 1.6 final drive too

As soon as my 1.9 box has been rebuilt (Miles hasn't collected it yet so watch this space)

I'll be doing the same.

the 1.6 box and standard FD is great but 1st gear is too short

HTH

John

Guest aclivea

Like the thinking, hadn't even thought of changing internals around. Are there any other draw backs to the MI FD in a 1.9 box. I understand loss of top end speed and it being abit spinny in 1st is there anything Im missing? Im after an extreme, but havent actually driven one like this so dont want to be silly cos I missed something obvious.

Also, has onyone found a source of FDs or is it a matter of just getting complete box.

Cheers for all your help.

cybernck

i've got this box on my mi16.

first two gears remain the same as in std mi16 box (as the first two gear cogs are the same),

but 3rd, 4th and 5th gear are shorter, and all five gears are as linearly spaced as you can get,

meaning that every gear change gives you the same revs drop so you get a feeling that the

car is accelerating the same in all gear, which it effectively does :D. must be experienced :).

only downside is a max of a 115 mph top end (only if you do motorways though), but you get

there VERY quickly! using mi16's fifth gear is a sensible thing as well, if you do get on the

motorways quite often.

red

IMO if you've got a high reving engine then go for the MI final drive, but the

4:1:1 from the 1.6 is the best bet for a standard or slightly modified engine,

I currently run the 1.6 on mine and 1st gear is a problem as it spins up and runs out quite quickly, I 've got to 115 mph at Aintree over the finish line on their speed trap but the speedo showed closer to 118-120, to me it's enough! just think how often your up there?? I make all my power from 3000rpm-6000rpm with a little drop of to 6500rpm.

Just purchase a box for £50-00 thats what I did 4 years ago and I'm currently putting 162bhp to the wheels through it, the final drives new are about £300-00 new for standard and the Rally stuff is £450-00 and up just to purchase the FD i.e. crownwheel/pinion.

Regards Russ......

Guest aclivea

Cheers for all the advice,

I am now the proud owner of an MI16 box, gonna use the FD in my 1.9.

Cant wait.

:D

TT205

Don't forget, you can't just swap the crown wheel, the pinion is matched, so you will have to strip both boxes down to do it

Guest aclivea

Yeah I though that would be the case, cheers. Giving that I have never even seen inside a box before, is it a job I might be able to do myself? I was planning to pay a nice man 55 squids to do it for me. If popular opinion is that it is possible for amatuers i'll give it a go, I like a challange, me. If it isn't a job for an amatuer is this a reasonable price?

Cheers

cybernck

doof & tris done some gearbox internal swaps between two gearboxes and they

said they'd write an article about that. you can't go wrong with miles though :D.

but 55 quid is not too much for this such a thing i would have thought. does it

include taking the gearbox off and back on or just a gear cogs swap though?

KRISKARRERA

I tested various gear ratios on Cartest software to see what the difference was in acceleration times and I found that there comes a point where a car will actually accelerate slower because the ratios are too close!

T3k

:D my ears are burning ;)

It is easy to take a box to bits if you know how. look on doofs n my webby (pugmi16.com) n goto "how 2" section for the guide on how to do it.

HOWEVER! i havent got a clue how to change the pinion!

Miles helped us refix our box so im sure if u ask nicely ;) he'll help u.

Hope it helps :(

Edited by T3k

KRISKARRERA

CRIKEY! This must be your first post in a zillion years!

Guest aclivea

There is gonna be between 18 aand 20mph between gears so i doubt it'll slow acceleration down.

55 squids for stripping down 2 boxes to build one plus new seals etc.

I'm sure taking one apart is easy, im good at dismantling. Its the putting it back together im worried about.

Is anything in there interfearance fit or will it come apart and go together easy. Do you need any special tools?

Ill Have a gander at pugmi16 - cheers,

I want to do it myself cos the less I spend on other bits the quicker I be able to afford a 16v conversion, nice.

Sign in to follow this