• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dk73

Whats My Best Option Paint Wise?

dk73

Help me please,

I want to paint my rocker cover in a nice shiny white to match the car.

I am fine doing the prepping but need to know what rattle can primer to use (im assuming etch)? Also what heat resistant top coat paint- again rattle can, and the lacquer as the top end gets hot.....

Whats the best way to go about doing this.

Thanks

swordfish210

I just had mine blasted and powdercoated:

DSC004742.jpg

DSC00262.jpg

I had the sump done at the same time and it cost me £35 for both to be done:

DSC00263.jpg

It's a nicer finish than you'll get with rattle cans and it'l last a lot longer.

dk73
I just had mine blasted and powdercoated:

DSC004742.jpg

DSC00262.jpg

I had the sump done at the same time and it cost me £35 for both to be done:

DSC00263.jpg

It's a nicer finish than you'll get with rattle cans and it'l last a lot longer.

No disrespect but i can get that look from rattle cans,

Its all about the prep and surrounding conditions but not sure what type of paint its been a long time since i was working in a paint shop.

allye

I'm failing to see why you need to paint the rocker cover? Peugeot do a pretty good job!

dk73
I'm failing to see why you need to paint the rocker cover? Peugeot do a pretty good job!

Its ok, have you never seen it done?

It set your engine off, depends on how mint things are around your engine bay.

I just think that the rocker looks dull under the hood. :)

In white?

205Rallee

Mine was rusty when it came from Peugeot on a factory recon TU24. After 10 years I blasted it at a mates garage and then painted it with a spray tin of black gloss enamel from Wilkinsons, about £3 and no primer, brilliant finish and a lot better than the one shown above. I got a new gearbox end cover from pug and it wasn't painted..made a fantastic job with some spare black barbacue paint again from Wilkinsons, oh yes and then I painted a marmitte manifold with the rest of the can. Three years later all of the above items are as good as when I painted them:)

swordfish210
No disrespect but i can get that look from rattle cans,

Its all about the prep and surrounding conditions but not sure what type of paint its been a long time since i was working in a paint shop.

None taken, i can't get that look from rattle cans and i can never get a finish that lasts it just chips away or gets scratched. My old rocker cover was sprayed and as soon as i washed the engine with some degreaser all the laqur came off and it looked well shonky.

Now i find it much easier to hand parts i want in a nice colour to a man and get it back a day later with a lovely finish that will last a damn site longer than rattle cans and it required no effort on my part. I can't be assed prepping things for paint anymore, i'd rather go and play with a lathe :)

dk73
Mine was rusty when it came from Peugeot on a factory recon TU24. After 10 years I blasted it at a mates garage and then painted it with a spray tin of black gloss enamel from Wilkinsons, about £3 and no primer, brilliant finish and a lot better than the one shown above. I got a new gearbox end cover from pug and it wasn't painted..made a fantastic job with some spare black barbacue paint again from Wilkinsons, oh yes and then I painted a marmitte manifold with the rest of the can. Three years later all of the above items are as good as when I painted them:)

Just shows you,

Thankyou.

allye

My engine bay is a state, probably why! Although my rocker is in great nic.

swordfish210

I may go and get a tin of BBQ paint then and do my whole car, just like that technical genius Ed China.

Tom Fenton

I bead blasted my cam cover, etch primed it and then painted it with normal rattle can cherry red, from Halfords I believe. 4000 miles later and it still looks OK.

Sven_2k4

Ed China........What a Star.........NOT!