• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jose

Fitted New Clutch And Now Have A Problem

Jose

Hi all,

I hope someone can hep me out, i have just spent the last 2 days doing the clutch on my 1989 1.9 205 gti

All went well i thought with no real difficulties, untill i started it up once the clutch was fitted

Theres a really high pitched noise coming from some where, cant really locate it but its from the flywheel area i think

Heres a Vid http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v142/Gon...nt=19112009.flv

Anyone got any suggestions before i take the gearbox off again to have a look (im oily, tired and really cant be bothered at the minute)?

The only thing i can think of is somthing didnt quite go to plan when i was wiggling the box back on but then i cant imagine what?

I done the clutch on my 306 gti6 so i know my way around the engine bay so if anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated!

I noticed the hole in the middle of the preassure plate was a different size but dont think this would have caused a problem, also there was a sensor on the flywheel that wasnt connected to anything, is this normal on my model? As i cant see where it should plug in?

Thanks

Jose

Tom Fenton

Obviously it is something rubbing on something else. I'd start by checking all the engine to box bolts are tight, then check that it isn't the tin cover at the bottom rubbing. After that you will have to investigate further.

I'm a bit worried about your comment about the hole in the middle of the clutch plate being bigger- have you tried to move the car under its own power yet?

Jose

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the advice, if i recall righly the hole was slightly smaller than the original clutch.

No i havent tried moving it yet. Thought it would be best not to.

Jose

Tom Fenton

I'd try and move it first of all. If the clutch isn't right then there is no point looking for the noise as you'll have to rip it all to bits again anyway.

Jose

So you reckon put the wheels on and just see if pulls OK in 1st / reverse? If it does then it means the clutch should be OK and it is just a noise (investigate the noise),

If it doesnt pull then get the box of again and have a looksi?

pug_ham

Does the noise change or disappear when you press the clutch pedal down with the engine running?

Did you do a full clutch kit or just pressure / friction plate? Just wondered because I had a release bearing that started to make a similar noise to your video.

If you still have the car on axle stands then you can simply try engaging the gears with the engine running to see if they select OK.

It does sound like something catching due to it not being a constant noise imo so check the lower flywheel cover etc as Tom suggests.

The sensor above the flywheel on the 8v engines isn't plugged into anything, its there for the Peugeot diagnostics / tuning for accurate flywheel rpm but most probably don't wiork anymore anyway.

Also I'm interested in the fact that the clutch hole was bigger than the old one, they've always been the same size on any I've done.

Graham.

Jose

Hi Graham,

The noise didnt change when i pressed the clutch pedal,

I engaged first and second gear, and it felt a bit knocky, something didnt seem right, as far as i can remeber will check again tomorrow

It was a full kit, including the bearing, It did seem odd at the time, also the shape of the pressure plate fins was different to the original aswell

clip_image001.jpg

clip_image002.jpg

Edited by Jose

pug_ham

The hole in the pressure plate doesn't matter imo as long as everything is from the same kit it should be fine, I thought you meant the hole in the middle of the friction plate (which is the important piece).

Different makes of clutch kits have a different number of fingers on the pressure plate as well.

If the box is bolted up to the engine fully & the clutch pedal feels OK, like Tom suiggests, check the lower tin cover to see if its catching anywhere.

Graham.

EdCherry

Double check you've got the friction plate on the right way.

Jose

Yes i checked the friction plate part of the kit and they where both the same size and fit, and i fitted it with the chunky bit facing out, so the friction plate was touching the flywheel (the wrong way round and it wont sit flush with the flywheel face)

Some photos of the old clutch to compare it to the new one:

th_P1080481.jpg

th_P1080484.jpg

th_P1080482.jpg

th_P1080483.jpg

I will take the lower tin cover off completly tomorrow to elimintate it!

Cheers for the help so far guys!

P.S The old clutch has 6 spring on it and the new one only has 4, dont think this will matter will it?

New Clutch:

untitled-3.jpg

Edited by pugtorque
imagwe file sizes, click thumbnails for fullsize.

Matteo

As already EdCherry said, did you fit the friction plate in the right side?

Richie-Van-GTi

If he had the plate the wrong way around he wouldnt be able to press the clutch :P

Sounds more like a rubbing, my first guess was tin plate but its been suggested. After that I reckon the sensor that you mentioned but unsure where this is located from your brief description. Can you use a torch and look into the bell housing through one of the holes? Its possible the thrust bearing hasnt seated correctly and span off the arms. With clutch cable off how much play is there in the clutch arm? Anymore than about 8 degrees could be an indicator of a loose thrust bearing.

Jose

The plate is deffinetly in the right way round, as i said before, if it wasnt then the pressure plate wouldnt have fitted properly.

I initially thought it might have been the sensor so i removed it completly, so its not that. And im going to leave it out seeing as its not needed!

Will check the tin cover tomorrow, although i remember it going on pretty easy so dont think its forced in or anything.

It could be the thrust bearing as it came off the clutch arm briefly when struggeling with the box, so its possible it could have happened again!

I have a bad feeling the gearbox is going to have to come off again which is a right pain in the back side!

Edited by Jose

Jose

I have just checked the lower tin cover, and theres no signes of rubbing etc on it, so its not that.

Unfortunatly i dont have time at the moment to get the box off again, so i will have another look in a few weeks time

Jose

Pob
I have just checked the lower tin cover, and theres no signes of rubbing etc on it, so its not that.

Unfortunatly i dont have time at the moment to get the box off again, so i will have another look in a few weeks time

Jose

I had a nightmare with my BE1 box, seven times taking the box on and off only to realise the bush on the arm was to blame causing the thrust bearing to come off when the clutch was pressed. Have you got a BE1 box? The bearing might have came off one of the 'prongs' on the arm and not sitting flat. You may be able to reposition it if it's the case, but it will mean you'll have to unbolt the box. You may get away with sliding it back with bolts still in place, but I never was able to get it far enough back to reposition the bearing.

Once you've got the nack of refitting it doesn't take that long... Still a pain in the arse though

Dan

Jose

Yes it is a BE1 box (lift up reverse), I fear this might be the cause of the problem, it doesnt help that the new bearing doesnt have that little clip similar to the original to keep in in place either

Pob
Yes it is a BE1 box (lift up reverse), I fear this might be the cause of the problem, it doesnt help that the new bearing doesnt have that little clip similar to the original to keep in in place either

The whole design of the BE1 clutch arm is a little rubbish, especially when trying to put the box on and you knock the clutch arm and the bearing falls off :D As far as I can remember, the bearing doesn't have any form of clip... The lugs on the bearing slides behind the arm and is held in place when it's pressed against the pressure plate.

I fully understand your frustration... its times like these make you wonder why you don't pummel your 205 with a hammer

Dan

pug_ham

It does sound more possible that the release bearing has come off the clutch arm fork. :D

If it has then it could be that the fingers of the fork are touching the pressure plate fingers which is making the noise.

Either way its very likely that the box has to come off again. :D

It is just about possible to check this with an inspection mirror & torch through the front of the casing (remove the plastic cover) to see if the release bearing has become dislodged before you start removing it again.

Graham.

Paulmac19

Had this sort of nightmare on my E7 Taxi when i done the clutch replacing the dual mass flywheel for a soild flywheel complete kit

The Taxi has a pull type clutch and the Bearing came off the fork

making quite a racket and a judder in the clutch

as you know the only way to make sure what had happened was to take the box out

we built it back together only to find the bearing had came off again

good luck with your repair..

it was third time lucky for us :(

Jose

Hi All,

This morning i took the box off again, and inspected, the bearing was on the fork arm correctly, so i took the clutch off and all seems well in that department. no marks to show anything was rubbing etc

It would seem that the startermotor is at fault, on trying to start it it made a sort of veeeeeeeeee sound, as in the starter motor was spinning but not turning the engine over, another try and it started, but still making the same noise as before, turn it off, try to start it again and the same high pitched veeeeeeeeeeee sound, to me it sound like the starter motor?

Anyone got any ideas?

I was thinking to take the starter motor off and push start it and see?

Jose

pug_ham

You haven't mixed up the starter solenoid & alternator exciter wire so the starter is permanently engaged when the enegine is running have you?

Starter solenoid wuire is usually a thicker light blue one.

Graham.

Jose

No i don't think so, i didn't touch any of the wires to do with the starter and i haven't been any where near the alternator

Pob
No i don't think so, i didn't touch any of the wires to do with the starter and i haven't been any where near the alternator

Sorry to hear it wasn't the release bearing... But, I think I know what the noise is. On my first 205 I replaced the gearbox, started it up and it really loud whining noise that increased with revs, pressing the clutch didn't effect it etc etc... Try loosening the starter motor and retighening it. Work around the bolts gradually so it bolts down level. The problem I had was that the starter motor would turn the engine over, but would jam against the flywheel and wouldn't disengage hence the whining. Sounds like really really loud diff whine?

Dan

Jose

Hi, it was worth taking off for peace of mind anyway and to check everything was ok, box went on really smoothley second time anyway and I was doing it on my own

will have a play with the starter motor

Jose

welshpug

check that the dowel is in place for the starter :)

Sign in to follow this