• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mitch205gti

Help White Smoke

mitch205gti

Came out of work today and the car really struggled to start, thought battery was dead as it didn't attempt to start just gave a "dunk" it finaly started but on leaving the car park notice quite a bit of white smoke and it was running rough, checked oil pressure and it wasn't even reading, so pulled up turned off and checked oil, oil level was fine so started the car again, this time oil pressure was fine ran slightly better but still some smoke, only live a mile away so thought I'd nurse it back home.

Got home and it wasn't smoking much, turning it off to open gates and garage but on starting it again there was loads of smoke and again ran very rough.

Left if to cool down for 30 mins and checked water, a bit low but has a small leak so could be that, but doesn't seem to be any oil in it, oil level was ok but oil looked abit light brown (in need of service, been putting off).

Started it up again and it started fine and hardly any smoke.

Also remembered the was a bit of a squel at one bit like a fan belt!

Any idea's?

Edited by mitch205gti

Carbs4me

HEADGASKET!

this happened to mine, ive had almost every problem with mine, i gave mine the chance to cool down and yes it did the same on a cold start but when it warms but it pushes all the water out of the cylinders hence the white smoke, with it evaporating...

I wouldnt run it again until the head gasket is repaired, cud cause it to cease up if 2 much water gets into the oil..

Edited by Carbs4me

Tom Fenton

Unfortunately it could be the head gasket. I've had one go before which allowed water to seep into one of the bores. So when you come to start up, the engine turns over, and the tries to compress water! Which it can't, so you get the "dunk".

All you can really do for now is see how you get on. If it struggles to turn again, whip the plugs out and then spin it over on the starter, see if you get a jet of water out of the plug holes.....

welshpug

could also be simple condensation from your paltry 1 mile drive!!

the dunk could have been a starter not wanting to turn from a low voltage, quite likely with a slipping aux belt, and the short daily drive.

fix the leak, and do a compression test :)

(and walk to work :P )

mitch205gti

Cheers everyone,

Will try starting it later and see what happens, then might pop down to Halfords and get a compression tester and take it from there.

As for walking it’s actually 1.2 miles, plus do shifts like today started at 5 so no chance of me walking at that time in the morning, plus I'm lazy :)

Edited by mitch205gti

mitch205gti

Been out this morning and it started fine with just a couple of little puffs of white smoke then all was fine!

Just waiting for other half to get back so I can pop down Halfords to get a compression tester.

mitch205gti

After popping down Halfords and getting a compression tester I let the car run for 10 mins then removed the first plug, and it came out wet, still carried on with the test and got 150psi, 2nd 220psi, 3rd 120psi and finally 4th 120psi.

Even with my limited knowledge I would guess the head gasket is dead :(

So how easy is this to change with some one who normally just changes drive shafts etc, how much will it cost in parts, roughly how long will it take and any other advice you can give.

Will do a search but I can never find what I want with it.

Thanks

Mitch

craig_007

Did you do the test with the 4 plugs out and throttle on the floor ?

I would find it wierd that your getting 3 low reading and 1 high !

I would have thought you would have gotten 2 normal readings 180+ and 2 low where the gasket could be blown

mitch205gti

I did it by taking each plug out in turn then replacing it and didn't touch the throttle just turned the key.

craig_007

Do it with the 4 plugs out and when turning the engine over put the throttle to the floor,I would also remove the HT lead from the coil to stop the plug leads sparking.

Thats the only way you get an accurate reading,You were correct in having the engine up to operating temp though,Do that again before the compression test mate.

Tom Fenton

As Craig says give your compression test another whirl.

Head gasket isn't THAT hard, I guess the most involved part for someone who hasn't tackled it before is probably doing the cambelt.

A couple of points though; you will need to get the head skimmed, you will also need to fit new head bolts. I'd also consider doing the water pump and cambelt tensioner whilst you are there if you are planning on keeping the car.

I've used Rotherham Engine Services on Roman Ridge Road (near Meadowhall) a few times for my machine work, I've always been pleased with what they have done for me.

mitch205gti

Just been out to try again and when turning it over with no plugs in its spitting water out of the 2nd from the left (as looking at it from the front)

Tried to do the compression test again but the gauge isn't holding its pressure, as soon as you stop cranking it drops back down, any ideas? Or shall I just take it back to Halfords tomorrow?

I'm starting to think do I fix this engine or go down the GTI-6 route!!! I just can't decide.

mitch205gti

Also noticed some steam coming from underneath manifold.

Tom Fenton

Water spitting out is definitely not good, you need to pull the head off and see what is what, hopefully just a skim and gasket and you can be back to full health. I can do this for you, PM if you wish.

steve@cornwall
Water spitting out is definitely not good, you need to pull the head off and see what is what, hopefully just a skim and gasket and you can be back to full health. I can do this for you, PM if you wish.

Hold up! Water dripping from inlet manifold? First thing I'd do is change the inlet manifold gasket - the redundant waterway could leak from a knackered inlet gasket straight into the port! much less bother than a h/g.

Tom Fenton
Just been out to try again and when turning it over with no plugs in its spitting water out of the 2nd from the left (as looking at it from the front)

Read the thread guys. There isn't much more of a sure sign the head gasket is gone than this.

steve@cornwall
Read the thread guys. There isn't much more of a sure sign the head gasket is gone than this.

Have to disagree there, Tom, If it were spitting from cyl 1 or 4 then, yes, def h/g. Either cyl. 2 or 3 can breathe this water. It's no sign that the H/G hasn't gone, but in my opinion, well worth investigating before the head comes off!

I have wrongly jumped to the failed headgasket diagnosis before because of this :lol:

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...82696&st=10

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...73279&st=10

Tom Fenton

Head2.jpg

As far as I know it could get into any of the 4 cyls with equal ease?

But yes I guess its worth checking it first.

mitch205gti

The steam was coming from underneath the exhaust manifold.

Will have to have a look from underneath and see if I can tell where it’s coming from.

Again thanks for all the help.

Can't stop thinking about dropping a Gti6 engine in instead though!! Will have to make my mind up soon as other half will only put up with me using her car for a few weeks. And thanks for the offer Tom will let you know which way I go and if I decide to have a go my self or let someone who knows what there doing have a go :lol:

Mitch

steve@cornwall
As far as I know it could get into any of the 4 cyls with equal ease?

You're quite right- my bad. In my defense I'm still half asleep. The later post that steam was coming from under the ex. manifold is more worrying though, unless the manifold is blowing a gasket or cracked.

Galifrey
Can't stop thinking about dropping a Gti6 engine in instead though!!

Mitch

JFDI

:lol:

GLPoomobile
JFDI

:lol:

PSUSA :(

Galifrey
PSUSA :lol:

I don't know that acronym... go on, put me out my misery!

jimistdt

Please stop using stupid acronyms, at a guess!

Sign in to follow this