• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
trogboy

Tu24 Head Info Required

trogboy

Howdy,

Can someone else with a TU24 head measure the angle between the inlet manifold mating face and the top or bottom of the head?

A good side on photo would be just as good if you can't measure it. I am trying to work out what angle the carbs should sit at relative the to the rest of the engine.

Cheers,

Ad

RossD

I may have this data at home - I'll have a look when I get home later and report back.

drmo

They should sit almost horizontally.

Here is a photo:

s6000984vzfc.jpg

10646556.jpg

11012985.jpg

negatadm400.jpg

This is the best I can do.

Oh, and the angle is the same as with any TU5/TU2J2 head (big valve head).

Edited by drmo

christopher
Howdy,

Can someone else with a TU24 head measure the angle between the inlet manifold mating face and the top or bottom of the head?

A good side on photo would be just as good if you can't measure it. I am trying to work out what angle the carbs should sit at relative the to the rest of the engine.

Cheers,

Ad

What you up to Ad? :P

I hope you are not swopping the standard inlet manifold for an aftermarket one.

Not sure if you know but the head flows MORE with the inlet manifold attached then without. Not sure you would get the same effect with others.

It angles up very slightly. If I put a 90 degrees metal beside the head there is something like 5mm between the metal and the top of the inlet port.

If you REALLY need a picture I can drag out the camera for you :-)

Edited by christopher

trogboy

Still think I may have issues with the angle that my carbs are sitting at - about 12 degrees above the horizontal. I started looking at this back in 2008 but never got to the bottom of it!

I'm using the TU24 manifold, head, anti vibe rubbers and carbs so I was wondering if it was something common to all of the Euro Rallyes?

Anyone fancy measuring it in situ in their car?

Ad

RossD
Not sure if you know but the head flows MORE with the inlet manifold attached then without. Not sure you would get the same effect with others.

This is interesting info Christopher - Got any further data like this, or flow numbers with and without the manifold?

Cheers

Ross

christopher
Still think I may have issues with the angle that my carbs are sitting at - about 12 degrees above the horizontal. I started looking at this back in 2008 but never got to the bottom of it!

I'm using the TU24 manifold, head, anti vibe rubbers and carbs so I was wondering if it was something common to all of the Euro Rallyes?

Anyone fancy measuring it in situ in their car?

Ad

What exactly is the problem you have Ad?

If you have got a TU24 head on a TU3S block isn't it sitting at the same angle as a Standard TU24?

christopher
QUOTE (christopher @ Nov 19 2009, 07:43 PM)

This is interesting info Christopher - Got any further data like this, or flow numbers with and without the manifold?

Cheers

Ross

:) Ok I will have to eat my Words now. It seems I remembered incorrectly!! Sorry

There is a slight loss of 5cfm flow at 10.2mm lift when the standard manifold is fitted to the head. This is dispite the fact that the manifold massively outflows the inlet port. I think this is a question of a slight vector mismatch.

However this restriction can be totally eliminated by carefull porting/reshaping of the manifold.

My manifold/head combo has this optimised so there is no loss at all with manifold fitted.

Some flow figures, since you ask Ross..

Red is standard head with manifold. Green is final race flowed.

flow.gif

Edited by christopher

RossD

Thanks Christopher, these tie up nicely with other flow result at 10" I've seen from the various 'big valve' 8v TU heads. Odd loss of flow as the valve lifts over 10mm in some of those graphs though, I assume is down to a not-fully optimised short side radius, or is this the loss of flow you mention with the non-optimised manifold fitted?

Edited by RossD

christopher
Thanks Christopher, these tie up nicely with other flow result at 10" I've seen from the various 'big valve' 8v TU heads. Odd loss of flow as the valve lifts over 10mm in some of those graphs though, I assume is down to a not-fully optimised short side radius, or is this the loss of flow you mention with the non-optimised manifold fitted?

Ross,

The red curve is the base line test of a standard (as from the factory) head with standard manifold.

The SSR on the TU24 is in fact fully optimised out of the factory and and any even a very tiny fettling there sends the flow rates sharply downwards.

The green line on top was the final flow figures with a fully optimised, manifold, inlet port, seat, guide and valve. So you can see the improvement from 5mm to 10mm lift.

The other lines are some of the other flow tests whilst the port was in development.

What I mean about the flow loss is when you took off the manifold the flow increased slightly thats all (the red curve was a bit higher) . I suppose thats not surprising but it can be eliminated by porting the head and the manifold together.

trogboy
What exactly is the problem you have Ad?

If you have got a TU24 head on a TU3S block isn't it sitting at the same angle as a Standard TU24?

Well you'd have thought so but the garage I use for my MOTs are adamant that they wouldn't be installed at as high an angle as mine are as a standard set up. That's why i need someone to check so that I can see how close mine are to the stock TU24 set up.

Fancy measuring yours Chris? :lol: