• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
davidc

Front Brakes For 205 Rally Car/track Car ?

welshpug

I noticed several typos on KAMracing :P and no S16 Mintex pads!! (RC5's too expensive for me :P )

Edited by welshpug

Batfink

a blind man wrote my text lol

I'm building a new site and am writing new text for every product so its probably not worth you finding all the errors (there are lots though) but if theres anything horrific let me know by PM :P

SPGTi
SPGTi has a car with yellows all around and what he was saying the other day I think he reckons the Carbon Lorraine are still better.

Steve? Comments!

As I have said before IMHO the carbon lorraines RC6 are by far the best I have tried on the front of the 205.The yellowstuff just don't inspire the confidence like the CL pads. Infact even my navigator commented on the stopping power of the CL pads.

STeve

Rippthrough

They do have stonking amounts of bite, cold/hot/wet/dry doesn't matter, just 'Bang' windscreen meets nose.

But they munched brake discs like they were going out of fashion on mine. :)

ravydavy

Rippthrough. i fancy a set of your discs with bells for my 205. i know ive asked you before and never had time to drop my disc off but my car goes in performance french car mag soon and it'd be good advertising for you if you want it?? oh i'm running wilwood four pots.

Galifrey
a blind man wrote my text lol

I'm building a new site and am writing new text for every product so its probably not worth you finding all the errors (there are lots though) but if theres anything horrific let me know by PM :)

Do you do RC5+ in Bendix 1.6GTI?

Rippthrough
Rippthrough. i fancy a set of your discs with bells for my 205. i know ive asked you before and never had time to drop my disc off but my car goes in performance french car mag soon and it'd be good advertising for you if you want it?? oh i'm running wilwood four pots.

Milling machine's out of comission until the new workshops are finished, taking a lot longer than expected! :)

ravydavy
Milling machine's out of comission until the new workshops are finished, taking a lot longer than expected! :)

hmmm poosticks..

Batfink
They do have stonking amounts of bite, cold/hot/wet/dry doesn't matter, just 'Bang' windscreen meets nose.

But they munched brake discs like they were going out of fashion on mine. :)

which one were you using? RC6?

Do you do RC5+ in Bendix 1.6GTI?

http://www.cl-brakes.co.uk/index.php/rc5-b...brake-pads.html

all good

Edited by Batfink

Rippthrough

Yeah, it was the 6's, the RC5's are supposed to be a bit more disc friendly though aren't they?

SPGTi

But they munched brake discs like they were going out of fashion on mine. :lol:

I only ever use the cheapest discs that I can find and change them probably every 3 road rallies. Last discs were GSF specials at £17.

cheers

Steve

Rippthrough

To be honest that's all I did with mine for a while, discs are cheaper than pads anyway, but I ain't doing it with the wavies! :lol:

kyepan
Whats peoples thoughts on the 307 HDi brakes ?

Are these the same as the 206 GTi 180's ?

Cheers,

David

they are the same as the larger 283mm

they are very heavy.

Galifrey
but I ain't doing it with the wavies! :lol:

Tart Biker discs to be honest :)

Rippthrough
Tart Biker discs to be honest :lol:

:)

You know you secretly want some...

Batfink

The Rc5+'s should give similar disk wear to the mintex race range. The RC6's and better have a high friction material and really need high carbon disks to cope with the extra wear. Cheap disks get eaten. To be honest when looking at other manufacturers of sintered metal pads you can see why carbone lorraine have the reputation as everyone else seem to keep the friction level lower to reduce this. Also they do not work well with drilled disks and also grooved disks that have the groove all the way to the disk edge as the pads will eat the disks even faster. They like disks from places like AP racing with their J hook grooves.

The sintered metal pads work in all weather so I always use plain disks anyway.... :)

K.

Edited by Batfink

Galifrey
:D

You know you secretly want some...

Only for the bedroom ;)

I loved CL pads on my bike :)

GG205rob

I noticed noone has mentioned flexi hoses, i'm guessing you probably already have braided? If not they will make a huge difference whatever setup you decide on

Batfink
I noticed noone has mentioned flexi hoses, i'm guessing you probably already have braided? If not they will make a huge difference whatever setup you decide on

personally I think they only make a difference compared to old knackered hoses. I dont think i've ever really noticed any sort of improvement when I've changed to braided on mine...

Kev

oli-pug

Interested reading here. I'm currently using the gti180 setup with EBC yellowstuff pads, performance is good but not fantastic. I do find them hard to modulate and the increased unsprung mass is definitely noticeable.

I have been considering going back to 1.9gti calipers though, for the lighter weight and the availability/ price of high end pads.

adam2oh5

im very happy with the gti6 setup to be honest.ive only had the car running from a full rebuild for a week and the first thing i said was that the brakes are the best buy.i mean for £250 with the lighter gti 6 hollow hubs you carnt go wrong.if the weights an isue then loose the fat sumwhere else like your bonnet or sumit.i say its thumbs up from me!

Batfink
im very happy with the gti6 setup to be honest.ive only had the car running from a full rebuild for a week and the first thing i said was that the brakes are the best buy.i mean for £250 with the lighter gti 6 hollow hubs you carnt go wrong.if the weights an isue then loose the fat sumwhere else like your bonnet or sumit.i say its thumbs up from me!

unsprung mass is different to overall mass though. If it was a case of fit a smaller battery or a fibreglass bonnet to offset the gain then it would be easy :unsure:

Edited by Batfink

oli-pug

As Batfink says Adam, a couple of kilos of unsprung mass is very different to saving a few with a light battery etc...

It's seems pointless spending money on uprated suspension and lightweight wheels when these dirty great calipers are restricting the damping performance dramatically.

If I was to fit rc6's up front with 1.9 gti calipers, would I need to uprate the rears to keep the balance? Also, what discs do people recommend for use with them on a budget?

Edited by oli-pug