• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
davidc

Front Brakes For 205 Rally Car/track Car ?

Craigb
im very happy with the gti6 setup to be honest.ive only had the car running from a full rebuild for a week and the first thing i said was that the brakes are the best buy.i mean for £250 with the lighter gti 6 hollow hubs you carnt go wrong.if the weights an isue then loose the fat sumwhere else like your bonnet or sumit.i say its thumbs up from me!

I'm with you on this , I have used this set with DS2500's up on the Road Rally Car for 4 years . and they have been marvelous , never let me down , always able to modulate the braking force , yes they are a bit heavy , and i would probably want something lighter for track use . But for me they worked and worked very well.

petert

Here's my 2 cents worth. I've just finished building a 205 road car with GTi180 brakes, Endless pads and a 406 master cylinder. Yes they're heavy, but it stops beautifully with great pedal feel. Great for street cars but not so good on the track as the calipers aren't rigid enough and you end up wedging the pads. The GTi6 caliper is much better in this regard. The GTi6 disc is also lighter, although still 283mm. I run these on my race car, along with Endless pads.

For entry level it's hard to beat the standard 1.9L caliper and Endless pads. Nothing in the EBC or DS range comes close to them.

Edited by petert

SPGTi
If I was to fit rc6's up front with 1.9 gti calipers, would I need to uprate the rears to keep the balance? Also, what discs do people recommend for use with them on a budget?

I have been running std 1.9, rc6's up front for a few years now. I was going to say you don't need to change rear pads to anything special but I had been using Pagid blues for extra bite when using the handbrake, so I am not sure.

I just buy the cheapest discs I can find and change these as necessary (would rather get longer life out of the £90 pads).

My new car had brand new EBC yellows fitted just before I bought it. I have not been able to really test them out due to the weather but my initial thoughts are not that good compared to the CL RC6's.

Steve

Batfink
If I was to fit rc6's up front with 1.9 gti calipers, would I need to uprate the rears to keep the balance? Also, what discs do people recommend for use with them on a budget?

You would not have to as its safer for the front to bite harder first. The other way round might be a bigger issue!. The RC6 will be more aggressive on discs than the RC5 so choose wisely :D

I run cheap discs on my bmw and wear is not massively excessive with RC5's for a road car. I've had the same discs for a year doing 50 miles a day.

Edited by Batfink

oli-pug

Fair point wanting the fronts to bite harder, but I think an uprated pad in the rear would be useful on trackdays for trail braking, no?

I actually have some unused 1144's which are an identical shape to the rear bendix pads but without the notch for locating the piston. I think they're for a 309 diesel front (was sent the wrong ones :D ) Is that notch actually needed or would the piston wind itself in and out without it?

As for discs, i usually fit Brembo oe style from Gsf. Any idea if they're high carbon?

DanielKamar

Awesome thread! I hate the feel on the brakes on my GTi 1.6! It really does not brake.. it stops sloooowly! Very helpfull thread! Thumbs up!

Batfink
As for discs, i usually fit Brembo oe style from Gsf. Any idea if they're high carbon?

the brembo discs are probably not high carbon. Some of their Brembo Max range is but it depends on the car.