• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rallyvan

306 Td Into 205 Van

Rallyvan

Really just wanting to know the ins and outs of putting a 1.9 td 306 engine into my 205?

-Do all engine mounts line up?

-Gear linkage problems?

-Wiring

-Clearence?

Etc etc.....................

The 205 is already a diesel (1.8 flat derv) and is on an 'H'

Any help appreciated

bouver

I put that engine into a 205.

Easy swop mate I had no real problems.

Give me a phone if you want *********** i am only in chesterfield.

Edited by jackherer
Phone number removed

Weser

As long as you dont have power steering you shouldn't have a problem. If you need the PAS pump on the 306 td its in the way of the radiator when you put it in the 205.

Mounts line up.

Wiring is easy enough to sort (you wont have the rev counter on the dash though)

I would suggest changing the sub frame as well to the 205 td / 1.9gti sub fame. It will make it handle better which will help as there will be a noticeable speed increase.

foreigner

I just broke up 205 with td engine and power steering pump with no clearence issue but it was J reg, however I had problem with it on my G reg GTI

Is there a difference between different age shells?

Weser

I have a 205 TD engine in mine fine. But the power steering pump mounts in a different postion on the 306 turbo diesel engine. If I remember the PAS pump on the 205 td engine sits on the gearbox and runs with a belt from the camshaft like the vacume pump. But on a 306 td engine it mounts on the fron of the block. Hence why there will be clearance issues with the rad.

I think the Shells are the same. Are you trying to put the 205 td lump into the G reg GTI? where is the problem?

weejimmy

the 306 td has the vacume pump bolted to the cam thats the only issue. so you need to run a 205 td cam or do away with power steering. or use saxo eletric pump etc.

will prety much drop straight in even the wiring is near as dam it the same.

its worth using the 306 headed filter set up as aposed to the 205 remote set up. its much neater and more eficent.

the rev counter is on the gear box not the engine so no issues there,

Rallyvan

will and 306 td engine fit into my 205 d??? or is there a certain year engine i should be looking for?

Would u lads recommend this conversion?

cheers

weejimmy

yes it will fit, its the same engine as a 205 td.

dont use the top mount intercooler either use 205 no intercooler set up or go front mount. cossie ones are good fit.

best with a d8b engine they come in 406 and some 306's xantias etc. im not sure 100% what they are in. but suposed to be best. the ph2 td 306s tend to throw rods as aparently there was a batch made with the non turbo rods.

ive just done this in my misses car and it is at 93bhp with no intercooler up from stock 85bhp.

make sure you get a bosh pump on it, not the 406 pump thoe, the one from a 405 without the solinoid is best pump i think.

and t2 turbo is best, gt15 cant take much boost but dose spool up quicker.

Rallyvan

Cheers lads big help

Rallyvan

Just wondering if ur saying use the front mounted set up 4 clearences purposes? If so ano this mite sound abit chavy but would i beable to get away with using the top mounted intercooler if i used a bonnet vent???

peter

Its very very easy ive done this before! Im doing the exact same thing again this weekend!

Bin the power steering if it has it! The steering is still very with out it make sure u take the ram off the rack tho!

Me and a friend converted a 1.8dturbo and a 1.8 flat d into 1.9 td in a weekend you will see where all the parts go when you take your engine out.

Use the 205 gearbox tho as the 306 isnt a straight fit.

weejimmy what is the problem with the top mount intercooler? it fits very neatly into the 205 engine bay

Weser

It goes straight in. I did mine in a couple of days. Its well worth the effort. You will notice the difference. I would lose the power steering otherwise if you get into using the 205 td cam you need all the mounts for the vacume pump and the belts. You will also need the 205td gearbox in order to mount the powersteering pump. In my opinion it just makes a very simple engine change alot more time consuming.

You can leave the top mounted intercooler on, but on the 306 the bonnet directs cold air onto it. You wont get this on the 205 unless you front mount a small one. (doesnt need to be big).

I would definately use a intercooler you will see much better performance and the mpg should be better as well.

If you go for the non intercooler set up like the 205 td you might have to lower the fueling on the 306 injector pump but im not sure.

I agree with weejimmy dont use the garrett T1.5 turbo (are they not only on the HDi engines?) I quite like the KKK K14 turbo on mine.

Peter how come the 306 gearbox doesnt fit?

Rallyvan

The van doesn't have power steering anyway so al not miss wot i ant got, cheers for all the replies lads, need all the help i can get am new to this peugeot thing. Just need to find a 306 td engine now............

Weser
The van doesn't have power steering anyway so al not miss wot i ant got, cheers for all the replies lads, need all the help i can get am new to this peugeot thing. Just need to find a 306 td engine now............

Well good luck with it all.

When you get stuck into im sure it will all come clear!

weejimmy

gt15 came on the latter 305 d turbos. hdi ones dont sit.

as said the top mount dosent get any flow over it in the 205 and its realy an inter warmer anyway.

the 306 gearbox dose phyiscaly fit fine but mayby the power steering set up dosent?

i have the 306 td box on mine as someone wanted the 205 box and i had a few 306 boxes lying around.

i changed to a 306 fly / clutch aswell. not that im sure i had to it was just in beter nick than the 205 stuff.

there wasnt any issues with rev counter or anything either.

very easy change thoe,

and very easy to tune a fair whack, good reason to put a fmic on it anyway.

Rallyvan
Well good luck with it all.

When you get stuck into im sure it will all come clear!

Cheers Weser no doubt al be asking questions..........

peter

Well ive finished my engine conversion by the early hours of sat morning, took it for a test drive with no exhaust on and all i can say is wow! I forgot how fast these are, in the damp it will spin the wheels all the way through 3rd up to 70mph! Even with the inferior lucas pump, it is turned up slightly though.

The 306 box will fit but its more work to change to a push type clutch and the linkages need swapped on the box. Or it may be possible to remove the clutch lever arm and fit the 205 one so you can retain the 205 clutch

However after driving mine this weekend using a 1.9 flat diesel 405 gearbox which i think has the same ratios as the 1.8 diesel. I found the ratios to be to short 112mph in fifth reving at over 4500rpm.

I belive the 306 gearbox would limit the top speed to around 120 ish

As for the intercooler a front mount would be nice but that would be a weekends work on its own and you would need the xantia inlat manifold.

Ill upload some vids/pics as soon as i can.

Rallyvan

well sounds good to me! ye definatly get sum pics up will be good to see it actually done.

Also if it's not 2 much trouble could u write a list up of what i need for the conversion, as it needs to be done in a weekend as i will be using my mates garage (has the engine lift built in)

Cheers Oli

Rallyvan

Finally found a suitable 306 td engine to go into my 205d van, it's going in next week just wanted to get a check list of the things i need??

Apart frm the obvious i.e engine, gearbox. Any info appreciated

Pug_101

use a 205 gearbox as the 306 one is a pain in terms of linkages.

You also need to use a small radiator if you plan to fit the intercooler.

Paul_13

Ryans build

Here's my mates build, we've just finished putting the engine in :)

It's a 306 DT engine on a HDI box

Edited by paul_xiii

weejimmy

and the last thing you want to do is use a samller rad, it can just be droped down a few inches on L brakets.

any box will be fine, hdi is best then 306td then 205 td due to longer gearing.

also make sure you put/have a bosh pump. way beter than lucas.

and wind the turbo up a few turns before you put it in so its losend off a bit when your trying to do it from under the car.

Pug_101

I'd rather have the rad at the correct height myself, but each to there own.

The extra fan more than makes up for any loss.

weejimmy

205 td have two fans anyway and the fan is only for when your not moving.

its all about capacity for cooling, althoe i think somone makes a shorter fatter one for throttle boddied cars. that might be good.

as you say each to their own thoe.

Pug_101

I think you'll find flow has as much if not more to do with how efficient the system is, that's partly why uprated water pumps exist. As we're into theory I was under the impression that the high and low points the radiator should be above and below the water jacket accordingly. I wonder if anyone does radiator design on here and can enlighten us.

Is your rad aluminum or copper/brass?

Sign in to follow this