• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
blue1.9

Adjusting Brake Biting Point...

blue1.9

Pretty much as the title really....

The car brakes really well, but I can't heal and toe as the bite point of the brakes is below the level of the accelerator. Is there any adjustment for the brake pedal bite point on the 205 so that it bites nearer the top of the travel?

Thanks

Alex

Guest wizek

I solved this by putting a master cylinder from a 306 gti-6 on mine. Although i do have 4 pots, maybe just a new master cylinder will do it some good.

blue1.9

Might be worth a try, but the car brakes OK so I don't think it can be a serious problem with the MC.

Guest wizek

I think they just wear/slacken up as mine use to be ok if u push hard enough and didn't mind the travel.

cybernck

been there, done that :D (after fitting gti-6 brakes).

you cannot adjust it, as if you do, you'll dial in a slight degree of initial braking...

so, the only way is to fit a bigger m/c - higher bite point AND less pedal travel.

ask for a 406 non-abs master cylinder, these should be 4-output 23.8mm ones.

C_W
been there, done that :D (after fitting gti-6 brakes).

you cannot adjust it, as if you do, you'll dial in a slight degree of initial braking...

so, the only way is to fit a bigger m/c - higher bite point AND less pedal travel.

ask for a 406 non-abs master cylinder, these should be 4-output 23.8mm ones.

Unless there is slack in the brake pedal pushing into the master cylinder. I think on mine there is some definate free travel. I thought you told me this can be adjusted somehow?

cybernck

yeah, we went through this before - you can adjust it on the mc/servo rod.

i thought you actually tried to adjust it the last time! :D

you might think there is slack, but there isn't - the brake caliper cylinder starts to fill with oil immediately.

it just take some time before it starts braking and you can actually notice it.

it gets worse with gti-6 brakes, hence the need of gti-6 master cylinder.

saveloy

cybernck is correct. However,you may find that renewing the plastic bush in the brake pedal makes a difference. I didn't think there was significant play in mine,until I fitted a new bush. But,by the sounds of what you describe,it is a larger bore M/C that is needed. If you have std brakes,try a 306 XSi one. This is a 22.2mm unit with 4 outlets & will fit as a direct replacement in all respects. A 23.8mm unit will be too large for std brakes. You should be able to pick one up from Euro's,etc for about £50.

Sign in to follow this