• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
SurGie

Cylinder Compression Test For The Xu10j4rs

davev

this is a bit hard to see but it the best i could do. :(

with the negative attached on the gearbox. put a main positive feed on to the(big positive here) post. then when you want it to engage and turn the engine over add a positive feed to the(small positive here) post. whether you get the second feed from the battery or the first post it dont matter.

post-4662-1257594322.jpg

SurGie
Are you happy with the explanations George coz this really isn't complicated?

So as people have said:

Battery neg>>>>big lead>>>>attached to gearbox or engine block

Battery pos>>>>big lead>>>>attached to one of the two large posts on the solenoid

Then to trigger the starter, either bridge (with a plastic handled screwdriver) between your positive cable on the solenoid to the spade connector on the solenoid, OR, take a smaller wire from the positive battery terminal to that spade.

Leave the alternator alone; it's not fitted, and it's not needed for this test.

Good luck mate.

That's a very good methodical explanation Rich, nice one ;)

Its just a pity i tried it this way VVVV~ beforehand , oh well live and learn then forget then relearn again :lol:

Bridge the starter terminals by licking them.

Already tried that, my hair wont come down now dam it :D

Cheers everyone for the info, il keep posted with the results...

Edited by SurGie

taylorspug
Bridge the starter terminals by licking them.

Nearly done a mouthful of tea with that one!

James_m

Dont think its been mentioned yet, but take all the spark plugs out. And if the engine is on a pallet is there actually any oil in it? Not sure if you would cause any damage turning it over that slowly but would'nt want to see someone make problems for a good engine by overlooking something so simple

Cameron

I should probably point out that I wasn't serious about trying the compression tester as an oil pressure gauge. Seriously, don't do it! :ph34r:

SurGie

Ner i wont :ph34r:

I ant got the right size attachment anyhoo and tbh there wont be no need to because im doing a compression test

and there does not seem to be any oil leak any where. Its me not thinking things through properly again as its an

air compresser not oil :ph34r:

Yes spark plugs all out and there is enough oil in the sump and as iv not had time to test it this weekend, i'm going to do

the test tomorrow late afternoon all being well.

ifcho
Sometimes i get an electric shock from the door when getting out of the car when i just slightly touch it, i think the rubber thing

that some people have at the back of the car stops this happening, not sure though.

So where does this shock come from if the human body has to high resistance to get 12v shock ?

Cheers..

Here's a great site for you

http://www.schoolphysics.co.uk/age14-16/

SurGie

If its not one thing its always another :lol:

Well i tested the starter before fitting, it turns out its going round but it wont come/pop out, so it can grip the teeth on the fly wheel

then back inside when engine starts etc.

I think the starter has packed up, because i have set it up as it should be.

Any thoughts ?

EDIT > PS, iv used the original starter that came with the engine for this test, not that new uprated one.

Edited by SurGie

welshpug

that's odd, as it shouldn't start going round till the solenoid has moved the sprocket out and engaged with the flywheel, or so I thought!

give the solenoid a donk with a hammer as you activate it with the screwdriver/wire.

DrSarty
give yourself a donk on the head with a hammer as you activate it with your tongue.

:)

Edited by DrSarty

SurGie

^^^ :)

Ok il go back and hit it harder when live, il bring the new one with me, just in case.

Cheers

Edited by SurGie

SurGie

Guess what, its now not working at all, tested the battery and all is fine, ~ (typical) ~ an easy enough job to do and

when i do it it turns into a mission.

So iv now gave up today and going to have to try tomorrow with the recon starter, after iv taken the old starter to the recon place

to test its knackered for sure.

mickie

have you got 12v ? before you do a compression test you should really drive the car, which might be hard without an alternator..

you need to really warm the engine up.. the tester gauge only goes up and wont come back down when you crank the engine over. just crank the engine till the gauge is at its peak..

there is only 2 wires that connect to the starter, the bigger one goes straight to the possitive battery live and the other to the ignition barrel live.

use your head a little. if you cant, stop working on your car

Edited by mickie

unariciflocos
have you got 12v ? before you do a compression test you should really drive the car, which might be hard without an alternator..

Should be even harder with the engine on a pallet and not in the car, but I see how not having an alternator would be a bigger issue. Wait, I can't, as I drove 150 km at night without one.

there is only 2 wires that connect to the starter, the bigger one goes straight to the possitive battery live and the other to the ignition barrel live.

AFAIK you need a closed circuit in order to have current flowing, so you need a third wire from the neg of the battery to the starter body.

use your head a little. if you cant, stop working on your car

If you're into giving wise advice, read the whole thread before doing it :angry:.

Here's a great site for you

http://www.schoolphysics.co.uk/age14-16/

Bistable circuits for 14-16 ?! Hell, I learned those in Uni :D

Starters can be a pain, i fried two on my old hi comp 8v before I got a diesel one with reduction gears.

Edited by unariciflocos

mickie

yeah i didnt read the whole thread but he still doesnt seem to understand things..

i would have thought the body of the starter needing to be earthed would have been obvious

welshpug

it doesn't actually, not with a wire anyway, you just need to connect the negative terminal of the battery to the earth point on the gearbox as it would be in the car.

DrSarty
yeah i didnt read the whole thread but he still doesnt seem to understand things..

i would have thought the body of the starter needing to be earthed would have been obvious

I'm glad you admitted you didn't read it....especially the first post. :D

'Obvious' doesn't seem to equate with our unique friend SurGie. He even called himself 'The Dimensional Visitor' for a while.

This was why I was rather direct early on, as I could just visualise George (or what I imagine him to look like) two wires in his hands with sparks flying everywhere, arc welding cables to his engine block or burning his garage down. ;)

We love your George. Keep it up.

Mickie: RTFQ :rolleyes:

:P

Cameron

I can imagine him standing in a pile of rubble that used to be his garage, with a bemused expression on his face. :rolleyes:

taylorspug

Jump lead in either hand, tongue with sparks coming off of it....

SurGie

^^^^^ :o:lol:

Im soo looking forward to putting the engine my 205 :)

No accidents yet, the only thing that has happened was a few sparks coming from the positive terminal and it seems to

have melted a little bit of the top part of the battery terminal.

Im going to use a different wire wrapped round the terminal this time with tape.

I found it odd as well, that the starter turned round but did not pop out.

Probably a stupid question but if i heated my garage up for a few hours till very warm, would that help make the engine a little warmer for a

better result ? Or would it not be worth doing ?

Comments welcome :)

^^^

(Dr S) The dimensional worm holes are now closed, so iv come back down to earth now. Its all a good laff :lol:

mickie

depends what you are going to use to heat the garage, a bonfire might get the engine upto temp

Tom Fenton

Ha ha ha! ^

Don't waste your power trying to heat the garage up. To make any difference you would need to get the engine to about 60 degrees- its not going to happen.

SurGie

I thought not, its not my power anyhoo :(

Sign in to follow this