• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

EricYellow

[car_upgrade] My 205 S16 With A Nice Little Garrett Thingy....

rapidcossie

sounds to me like it wheel spun on the rollers LOL

In all honesty Im not trying to take the piss.

If it made the power then good on him but I think alot of people on here just take someone typing a number on a forum as gospel.

466 bhp is a massive power figure to achive never mind when some tells you their getting out of a standard 150 bhp engine with a big blower strapped to it!

Edited by rapidcossie

Galifrey

One gorgeous looking 205, regardless what BHP it is

:)

EricYellow

@Rapidcossie: the car power was measured at 2 different rolling roads, the first time it had 394 bhp/423 Nm with the "crap" mapping at 1,5 bar, no wheelspin was detected on the rollers.

Next time the mapping was set to the point where we just wanted to try if we could see 400 bhp at the wheels, results were 405 bhp atw=466bhp at the cranck, on this rolling road it is impossible to have any wheelspin since you take the wheels off and mount the car in 2 hubs.

See THIS LINK to see where it was mappped.

The engine is COMPLETELY stock, just the decompression plate and 2 normal headgaskets were used.

I drove it for about a year at 394 bhp, did a trackday with it (in the rain..not really a succes...wheelspin all over the place) and every time I take it out of the garage it's not for a nice little relaxed drive in the country. :)

I'm not the type of guy who likes to brag about bhp figures at the pub, the first time it went on the rollers with the car the RR operator asked me what power I was expecting.

I just said: a little more over standard I think, then he asked what I did to the engine, Nothing I said....then he asked how much boost I was running, 1,5 bar I replied, he looked a bit funny at me, shook his head and walked away...

After the run he came to me with a bunch of compliments and that he couldn't believe that a standard engine could take this power.

So the french rubbish can take quite a bit of abuse in standard form :)

And yes, it's that easy to make that kind of power, you just need to have the balls for it :)

Edited by EricYellow
  • Like 1

Tom Fenton

The turbo is perfectly capable of making that power at that boost. One look at the compressor map can tell you that.

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarre...R_700382_12.htm

Good on you Eric I say, although I'm not personally a fan of decomp plates, it seems to be working for you.

Edited by Tom Fenton

kyepan

2L sr20Det pulsar engines make close to 400bhp on 3037s, and they are not the most brilliant of engines to begin with, heavy iron chain driven things, with not particularly special heads.

Edited by kyepan

jackherer
I think alot of people on here just take someone typing a number on a forum as gospel.

That may be true but its worth pointing out that Eric has been posting on here for a long time and has a history of this sort of thing...

Tom Fenton

Plus like I said before, with a turbocharged car, if you know the turbo and boost level, one quick glance at the compressor map can tell you if the power figure is potentially realistic or not. In this case it certainly is realistic.

EricYellow

Looks like I made my future plans come true :)

A "few" cars and about 8 years later... :(

Edited by EricYellow

[L'e$kro]

Nice 205 Eric!

The Me5t/Ml5t are becoming popular in France, as Be gearboxes seem to not appreciate anything above 300bhps and are therefore "single use"...

A guy I know is manufacturing a fitting kit with instructions for those gearboxes.

He's making everything to fit this box "plug and play", like special gearbox mount, rose jointed gear rods (me gearbox, ml being with cables), customer driveshafts etc...

The only thing you have to modify yourself then is the subframe as the diff casing is fairly bigger. (like for a v6 conversion)

PM me if interested, I will give you his prices.

I know a guy who made 425bhps with standard xu10j2te bottom end with mi16 head, gt28rs turbo running at 1.8 bars, and a ms2 extra management...

My questions are: what fuel were you running for that power and have you got any idea of your compression ratio with your decomp plate?

Thnaks!

Nicolas

Galifrey
@DCC: the bottom end is completely stock, just a decompression plate between 2 normal headgaskets to lower the compression ratio to 8,5:1 that's it :(

It's running 1,5-1,6 bar at the moment.

Its all there if you read it

jackherer
Looks like I made my future plans come true :)

A "few" cars and about 8 years later... :)

8 valves later more like :):(

Am I right in thinking there is no LSD available for the M*5 gearboxes?

EricYellow

Nicolas, could you get me some info/link/pics on the gear rods, I've made them myself but also got myself a cable shift system yesterday since the rods don't wrok as good as I want.

Do yo also know if the speedo sensor/spur and driven gear can be exchanged with a BE3 box ?

How did that guy with th GT28RS get 425 bhp out of it ?

It's has a flow capacity of 360 bhp max.

Edited by EricYellow

taylorspug
Plus like I said before, with a turbocharged car, if you know the turbo and boost level, one quick glance at the compressor map can tell you if the power figure is potentially realistic or not. In this case it certainly is realistic.

Exactly, i had a quick glance at the compressor map for this turbo last night and drew the same conclusion.

I will echo Toms earlier comment, good on you Eric. You have gone against 'conventional' wisdom and come up with a stunningly quick 205, effectively on a nice tidy budget. And even if the engine does let go, the beauty is youu could just stick another completely standard lump in, just adding the decomp plate. B)

[L'e$kro]
Nicolas, could you get me some info/link/pics on the gear rods, I've made them myself but also got myself a cable shift system yesterday since the rods don't wrok as good as I want.

Do yo also know if the speedo sensor/spur and driven gear can be exchanged with a BE3 box ?

Hi Eric

I didn't fit this gearbox myself yet as I'm still running my engine N/A for the moment, so I cannot answer you about the speedo drive either.

What do lads running V6 conversions in their 205? I ask because it's basically the same gearbox with different bellhousing...

For the gear rods I can ask

If you want to contact me on MSN don't hesitate: ulysse32{at}libertysurf.fr

I might be away from the computer during the week end, but during the week I'm 8 hours a day on it

The guy is selling the 3 rods + other stuff as only the rods themselves are not enough

Nicolas

EricYellow

The ML and ME box are quite different in the speedo department, the driven gear is completely different, so if the V6 guys figured out a way it won't be of much use to me sadly...

Think I'll just have to take this box and a BE3 apart and check what's possible.

Added you to msn btw B)

[L'e$kro]
This has to be one of if not the biggest HP XU-powered 205 around??

The one from JSO made 479ch on the rollers. It's now a dedicated drag-car though, no longer "streetable" with it's tiny fuel tank and brakes

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/JSO/2/projetjso.htm

Nicolas

EricYellow

@Baz: yup, that's it, it was running with the crappy mapping back then B)

The JSO team is doing nice things, have seen an bunch of them the last few years on Magny Cours.

James_m

Whats the exhaust manifold? Custom?

Awesome project :rolleyes:

EricYellow

The exhaust manifold is a DP one, saved me a lot of time and I can't even get near the quality they deliver.

Edited by EricYellow

kyepan

just looked at the videos!

that is QUICK!

EricYellow

No it's not, it's slow compared to now :)

Now it's got 74 bhp and 92Nm more than in the video :)

It just runs better now, not just peak power, but the total range is a lot better then before.

Now it does 62-125 in about 6 seconds (if I have enough grip....)

Edited by EricYellow

skeggyrik

How laggy is it? I imagine it's pretty flat off boost with the low compression?