• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MrG

Swapping Tailgates

MrG

My miami 205 has naff paint on the tailgate so I've decided rather than repaint it I'd change it for another, now does a 'normal' shopping 205 tailgate from a miami coloured 205 fit the GTI and is the spoiler an easy refit or does the fixings go through the glass?

Alternatively if you have or know of one then I'd like to know! :(

Edited by MrG

steve@cornwall
My miami 205 has naff paint on the tailgate so I've decided rather than repaint it I'd change it for another, now does a 'normal' shopping 205 tailgate from a miami coloured 205 fit the GTI and is the spoiler an easy refit or does the fixings go through the glass?

Alternatively if you have or know of one then I'd like to know! :(

Spoiler is originally fitted into plastic inserts which won't be present on base model. However, I've never had a problem with self-tappers straight into the hatch. I'd mark the position through the holes in the spoiler (a swift blow with a light hammer and a sharp nail is what I use). Then screw the self tappers in all the way with the spoiler removed (you can see then that they go in straight) then remove the screws, put a nice blob of grease over each hole and screw the spoiler into place

MrG

nice thanks. strangely progress is now swift on this car?

pablo

is it a pain to paint a tailgate? Does the rear window need to be removed or can you work with it?

MrG

the glass should be removed I suppose, but I can't be bothered to be honest, I'll try and get that one you've highlighted on ebay Pablo.

MrG

double post??

Edited by MrG

MrG

??? and again

Edited by MrG