• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Wallby

Rallye Driveshafts

Wallby

Hello all,

Im in need of a bit of help! My Rallye is making a bit of a knocking noise when accelerating and turning right. I took it to a garage this morning and they said it needs a new driveshaft.

The only problem is that the previous owner fitted a 106 rallye gearbox to the original TU iron block engine. Im now wondering if I need a different passenger side driveshaft because of this?

Any help would be greatley appriciated!

Thanks

Rhys

welshpug

if its in a 205 I'd imagine you'd need 205 driveshafts.

Wallby

Im not sure. Would it not depend on if the output of the gearbox is in the same place?

burr_2000

Hi you need the 205 driveshaft but the end of the 106 rallye (the bit that engages into the gearbox). if that makes sense ;) .

welshpug

why? the splines in the diff are the same, its the same gearbox casing.

Wallby

Ah right, I didn't know they had the same casings and splines!

Thanks welshpug

burr_2000

I run a 106 rallye gearbox on my 205 rallye and i can guarantee they make look similar they aint as i have already asked the question a while back. "the diff is slightly different in the 106 MA gearbox (Stronger, uses slightly beefier components) and so the 205 shafts will be rubbing (for want of a better word) on the diff pins. Whilst this seems to work, it cant be good for the diff and will cause premature wear to it"

drmo
I run a 106 rallye gearbox on my 205 rallye and i can guarantee they make look similar they aint as i have already asked the question a while back. "the diff is slightly different in the 106 MA gearbox (Stronger, uses slightly beefier components) and so the 205 shafts will be rubbing (for want of a better word) on the diff pins. Whilst this seems to work, it cant be good for the diff and will cause premature wear to it"
That is exactly what I wanted to say. The diff pin is thicker in the later 106 rallye gearbox. In the early ones there is a 14mm pin in the later ones it's 16mm. All the 205 MA gearboxes have 14mm diff pin, so the part of the driveshaft that goes in the gearbox is too long for the later 106 rallye gearboxes and it is rubbing against the diff pin.

Wallby

So if I have an earlier 106 gearbox, I will be ok? I think ill just ask the garage tomorrow.

drmo
So if I have an earlier 106 gearbox, I will be ok? I think ill just ask the garage tomorrow.
I wrote wrong... :rolleyes:

There wasnt later or earlier 106 rallye boxes becose there wasn't any 106 1.3 rallye before 93'. 106 rallye box has 16mm diff pin and that is it.

My brother had the same problem but I have forgoten how we solved it. Will ask him.